Poor mans grapple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of the towing hitch and the version 2 grapple. I may adopt your idea for towing the log splitter and trailer. I have a receiver tube I can use for the towing part. As for the grapple, like you, I designed one for my tractor. Made a cardboard and wood model. Then I gave thought to the hydraulics, the added valve, the hoses, grapple cylinder and cutting time and welding, and expense, and so I put the project aside. I still have my model somewhere. I may dig it up and see what I can do using your idea.

As for attaching your grapple to keep from slipping, see my picture. Use short chains welded to your grapple. Weld a heavy duty bolt with head cut off to the end link on the chain. Drill one or two holes to attach the bolt or weld a plate with the hole. Washer and nut keeps it all attached. Easy on easy off. That is how I attach my bucket forks. The center piece with the shackle I used for a hay spike I made years ago. Held in place by one chain. Now I use that point and shackle to move my wild feral hog trap. We have a hog problem here. Chain the trap down and tie it to the shackle. I move it in a 3 mile radius trapping for neighbors and my place too, when hogs are active.

0F2ACD9D-D44F-49E1-9056-37CA1C4A5E8D.jpeg5AEFDB53-3DE8-4D37-B2B4-CD984803F69B.jpeg

Yeah I think I'm going to weld two short chains to the slides and weld two weld on hooks to the forks and just drop the chain on. I was hoping to use it today but it rained most of the day.

Latest posts

Back