poor mans untrasonic cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Here is a cheap way to make a parts cleaner. Not sure how well it works yet, I just stuck the clutch cover in there. Currently there is solvent in there. Strap a palm sander to the top of the bucket.

attachment.php

Hey, well, the jury is still out, I left it in there for about 30mins. I really don't know how long a ultrasonic cleaner usually takes. Although, it did loosen up some stuff, that I couldn't previously blow off, its now much cleaner. But I don't know if its just from soaking in solvent or the actual vibration.

Anybody know how long a untrasonic cleaner usually takes?

You are gonna ruin your sander. They are not meant to run long periods of time.

I am a woodworker and go through a LOT of sanders.

ultrasonic

ive got an ultrasonic cleaner. i use purple power mixed 50 50 with water in it. for real dirty parts like mufflers it sometimes takes 1 or 2 hours. also about the same for a cylinder with alot of carbon buildup. exaust port. piston top. ect.

Mine has 4 honking transducers and really cleans things up fast. 10 minutes is a long time in mine.

It pays to stock every now and then and pick away at small deposits of harded resin/oil - that stuff needs to be probed by hand..

Last edited:
:ices_rofl:

Heck, you can call this redneck engineering, but it's this kinda thinking that brought appollo 13 back to earth....or am I stretching the truth here :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:

Yes, your right, thats why I only left it for 30 mins, surely they can run that long.

you might be a redneck it.......

HE HE HE HE HE HE, YUP!!!

I guess one day I will have to bite the bullet and get one.

Lakeside53- You got yours off ebay?? Could you post an example off ebay, I did a search, and couldn't come up with anything big enough to clean saw parts.

Thanks guys

Yea, I'd save the sander. It's likely not inducing the frequency nor the energy required for cavitation (ie 20-25khz). It's the implosion of a cavitation bubbles that does the cleaning.

Throw a piece of aluminum foil in the bucket. After a few minutes pull it out and see if it's perforated. If it's not then you're not cleaning ultrasoniclly.

Would it work better if you attached the sander to the bottom of the pail so more of the vibration would be directly applied to the parts?

What about two sanders of different speeds? The sound vibrations should do more bouncing around and cause more chaos.

Seems like some of the vibration would be lost into the floor and through the walls of the pail.

Nice idea! I hope this works for you. I think I might have to put one together and do some testing.

Didn't even think of that.

Yea, I'd save the sander. It's likely not inducing the frequency nor the energy required for cavitation (ie 20-25khz). It's the implosion of a cavitation bubbles that does the cleaning.

Throw a piece of aluminum foil in the bucket. After a few minutes pull it out and see if it's perforated. If it's not then you're not cleaning ultrasoniclly.

What about a tumbler for polishing brass? Too slow?

Agreed its not the best Idea, but I thought I would see if it works. Mounting on the bottom might work, but then I have to figure a way to hang the bucket, and don't really want a full bucket of solvent to fall and spill all over the place.

use a cheep sander.. from harbor freight. And also a metal bucket with a handle, i would think the metal would give more of a vibration in redneck terms and theories. Use jb weld or alot of ducttape.. what ever you have available to mount the sander to the bottom of the bucket. Use the handle to hang from rope from the plant holder inthe ceiling in the living room right in front of the main window. Now you have a usefull tool contraption thingy and something the neihbers are gonna want to come over and borrow becouse they aint got 1

Last edited:
Just put an air regulator on your air compressor and put the hose in the bucket. Wont take too much air to keep the cleaner moving.

Just put an air regulator on your air compressor and put the hose in the bucket. Wont take too much air to keep the cleaner moving.

Maybe you could elaborate, not sure how that would work so well??? Would it just be blowing bubbles from the hose??

Maybe you could elaborate, not sure how that would work so well??? Would it just be blowing bubbles from the hose??
We made a parts cleaner with 30 gal barrel,cut in half with hinges on it. ran a pipe through it a little off the bottom with really small holes drilled in it and hooked an air hose to it. It kept the solvent moving (bubbling) and cleaned the greasy parts a lot quicker. I guess i dont know what goes on with the ultrasonic that makes it clean better. But i know this works.

Back