Poorly Husky - HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi - I recently bought a husky 262xp from a local auctioneer because i cut a lot of fire wood but i can not get it to start. I have checked it over and cleaned it up and nothing is jumping out at me. It has a spark, compression, fuel, all the pipes are clean and the fuel filter is not blocked. Does anybody have any more ideas or know any faults on this model of saw? Thanks for any help in advance.

Matt:chainsaw:

First does it have compression or good compression,second is your plug wet or dry?If the plug is dry no fuel, if its wet probably flooded have good comp, good spark, and fuel it should go bang.

Dump out the fuel and remove the plug.
Pull the rope a dozen or two times.
Install a new plug, and pull the rope a few times while holding the throttle wide open, Then if you still have nothing, put a small squirt of fresh
fuel in the carb throat and pull the rope while holding the throttle wide open.
{Still no fuel in the tank.}.

If it starts and runs a second or two, then fill the tank with fresh fuel and try to start.
Let us know what you find.

You must use fresh fuel......

I would mix up some fresh fuel,none ethenol,pull your plug pull the saw over a crap load of times to air it out a little, drop in a new plug then give it a go.When you first try to start it no choke,set the throttle at fast idle.If that doesn't work then choke it.

I would:

Dump out the fuel and remove the plug.
Pull the rope a dozen or two times.
Install a new plug, and pull the rope a few times while holding the throttle wide open, Then if you still have nothing, put a small squirt of fresh
fuel in the carb throat and pull the rope while holding the throttle wide open.

If that doesn't work, try choking the ex-wife.

Oh you mean that old expression????

Like "cuttin' the cheese"?

Seriously, the saw may just be flooded on old stale fuel, and the plug
half fouled out, which is why I suggest draining, airing, new plug, new gas.
Then start from square 1.

Ya wish it was that easy with everything! If the above doesn't work you could hit it with a hammer after dark then haul it to opps never mind.Just paint it green and keep pulllion!!!

OOOOooooooopppps.

I forgot to say "I would"...........

My bad.........

Tough crowd.........................

I gotta say Fish, even though one might not expect newbies to have seen how often you are correct, it never ceases to amaze me how often your advice posts are overlooked or ignored.

I don't get it.

I used to think your chronic depression was a chemical imbalance, but now I see why you get the sniffles.

Maybe try starting with "Simon says..."

Back to the saw problem!

Sometimes flooding is so sever you have to remove the plug, turn the saw upside down and pull it over e few times - you will know if it is bad as the fuel will run/drip out.

If it is bad, leave the plug out overnight to let the fuel dry out.

Make sure the H & L carb adjusters are 1 turn out from fully in, make sure the gap on the plug is correct and the spark is good, check the compression with a good gauge, it is easy to think it is ok but in reality you have a tight engine that has seized but feels like reasonable compression - pull the muffler off and inspect the front flank of the piston for aluminium scoring and smearing.

Make sure the saw throttle is held slightly open when the choke is put on or if this is done with a lever/throttle assembly - make sure it works, this has stopped many saws starting when cold.

If all this checks out then make sure the filter is clean, warm the plug with a plumbers gas torch or gas cooker hob and then pull the saw over with the choke on and as soon as it fires, take the choke off making sure the throttle is still held open slightly and the saw should fire up on the next two pulls.

If you have good compression/spark and you have fuel - the saw is usually a runner of some sort - if it doesn't run then suspect the carb needs a rebuild.

Spud

Back