Poplar as firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have alot of poplar on my land, and have been slowly cutting it and splitting it very small for kindling. When its dry it'll get going real quick and works well for fire starting.

Years ago, I had a couple "BIG" cottonwoods blow down. I cut and split it up! My gas furnace didn't start for over two winters. And it was free! It all burns! Use it up before it gets punky!

We've been making lumber out of them for our cattle trailers. They are about the most resistant wood to piss and #### you ever met :) Why waste good oak on something that wants to rot? besides, its light and easy to get people to give to you :)

I am new to the world of wood burning and cutting just started 4 weeks ago. But I have spent alot of time in the woods hunting, this might be a stupid ? but here in maryland we have a ton of Tulip poplars they get the yellow flower on them and get huge, would this be the same as a tulip/aspin/popple tree and if not is a tulip poplar decent wood.

I am new to the world of wood burning and cutting just started 4 weeks ago. But I have spent alot of time in the woods hunting, this might be a stupid ? but here in maryland we have a ton of Tulip poplars they get the yellow flower on them and get huge, would this be the same as a tulip/aspin/popple tree and if not is a tulip poplar decent wood.

Tulip poplar is different, but it is exactly as described. Spring wood, fall wood, starter wood. I'll cut and split it if it is free and easy, right now I have better wood around.

Thanks, if it burns like the the woods above I will be cutting plenty of it. It is free and right in the front, back, and side yards of my house access does'nt get any easier.

I agree with what everyone has said about it being a good spring/fall wood, it is also great for cook fires. Just be sure to split it soon after you fell it. Poplar goes punky fast if left in rounds or logs.

I'd be all over that! Don't get rid of your shade, or you'll pay for it in the summer!

Definetly won't get rid of the shade. I have thickets of them around the house with most ranging from 4-10" in diameter. Most are in the way of future plans (wood sheds and such) but would like to take alot out before they get to big to fell safely close to the house.

I burn tulip poplar/aspen during the day and i will throw a piece or two in at night if the fires a little low. If definately wont get you through the night. in spring and fall it does a good job. I have got tulips taking over the woods they grow like weeds gonna have to start knockin em down. I have one tulip thats over 6 ft in diameter gonna have the amish mill some of them up for me for 11 cents a b.f

We call it daytime wood. Some of my friends burn it 24/7 in their bigger OWB. If it's free, it's in my stove... Easy to cut and easy to split. Hard to beat free heat by any name.

I:agree2:
I used to be a wood snob burning only shagbark hickory or maple until I got on this web site. Now ,I pretty well burn anything, poplar included.

Cut up a tulip poplar this summer for someone. It was 32"+ dbh. When green it's heavy, when dry it's pretty light. Burns well with very little ash. Burnt a cord+ in October in the OWB.
It was free. I wouldn't pay for it, but it's not terrible wood to burn.

Latest posts

Back