Poplar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have about 2 cords of tulip poplar cut or to be cut, along with as much or more white pine. Wouldn't have gone out of my way to css it, but it was coming down anyway to make pasture. I had a choice to burn it in the field, or burn it in the stove.

I burn it in the summer mos for hot water, but even in cooler weather a few sticks of it and other less dense woods helps get the fire up to temps faster in an OWB.

I burn it in the summer mos for hot water, but even in cooler weather a few sticks of it and other less dense woods helps get the fire up to temps faster in an OWB.
Exactly. I can't recall the last fire that I ever burned with dry poplar or cottonwood that ever smouldered and died.

Want to heat a cabin? Burn dry poplar or cottonwood and enjoy the heat that it produces. Or, you can try burning green oak or locust and wait two hours for some hot coals to show up. Heheheheheheh... :msp_biggrin:

Little known poplar fact: Kitchen matches and toothpicks are normally made from poplar.

There's a few times I'd like a long slow burning white oak match, but generally hot and fast are qualities I'm looking for in a match, and poplar is happy to oblige.

Got tons of it around here, makes for free heat in October and April :msp_thumbsup:

Little known poplar fact: Kitchen matches and toothpicks are normally made from poplar.

There's a few times I'd like a long slow burning white oak match, but generally hot and fast are qualities I'm looking for in a match, and poplar is happy to oblige.

--I worked in a toothpick and popsickle stick and etc shop and we used birch and maple. They had to be pristine logs for the most part, no knots. I ran a peeler lathe. I'd peel rounds after the were supersaturated in a steam chamber, then they were stamped out and then flash kiln dried and covered with a slight wax coating in big tumbler machines. I could keep seven people running the stamping machines going with what I could cut.

Man, that was the best kindling, any finished product that dropped on the floor became "scrap" and we could take a box home then. WOOSH

They heated the factory and generated all their own electricity to run all the machines with the woodscraps with a GE steam boiler/turbine (mostly with the heartwood leftovers and what came from the debarker). The machines ran off of hugemongous big electric motors down in the basement near the turbine, then there were big belts going all over and driveshafts, etc to run the individual machines here and there. It was *neat*, combo of old tech and new tech. I don't think we made matchsticks though.

"theres no such thing as free wood/heat"
round 2
GO !
:hmm3grin2orange:

Don't you start with me MR!! :laugh: But your right, I do pay taxes on the land it comes from :help: The gas to cut it was free...siphoned the neighbors truck again :rock: :hmm3grin2orange:

Plenty of poplar in my neck of the woods. I plan on definitely milling for some interior trim. I'll probably use the species for furniture making as well. It's all over the place up here, may as well put it to good use...Just not in the wood stove...

In spite of getting snow dumped on us today, we've rounded the corner temp wise. Outside, it's a toasty 29 degrees and I'm still burning good red oak :( - but that's what I got in the shed. Oak time should be in rearview territory now.

We're in popple/birch/pine season now. I'd rather burn the oak in Jan when the temps are 30 degrees lower. But the wood gods were good and oak's what I got. Stepped over too many soft hardwoods to get the present supply

I acquired a couple of loads of poplar over the weekend. I'm lazy when it comes to the light stuff...haha This was already cut down and bucked, otherwise I'd have probably passed on it. But, like I said before it burns, so if I can get it for little effort I'll take it!

Here are some pics of alot of free poplar i cut last summer. Probably bout 10 cords all together. My son Luke always went with me. He said he was my "wood choppin buddy":hmm3grin2orange: Steve

178892d1302011183-1104001052-jpg

I think that saw is bigger than your helper!

Back