Pop's looking to upgrade from his 041

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter121

Reaction score
Hows it going there guys, this is my first post and hopefully I can make it worthy. My dad has a old Stihl 41 that still run great but he is looking to upgrade to a newer saw since the 41 is up there in age.

He needs a good do all saw for falling and bucking on the property. Must be peppy enough for a 24''-25'' bar. Good balance and preferably something lighter. He is 70yrs old:jawdrop:.

He was eyeballing the MS390 and after I did some research (mainly here) I suggested the MS361 ( yes it really does make you look younger:cheers: ).

SO basicly guys, I need your profesional opinions on the subject. Will the 390 do the job just fine or is the 361 a better match? The old man is more or less locked on to Stihl but would not mind a Husky either.

Thanks all for the help,

Hunter121

to bad

the 361 would have made him 30 years younger ........

:greenchainsaw: :jawdrop:

so you hear...:)

7sleeper

also would have gave him back a full head of hair .Seriously though ,that 390 is a good saw,just not as light or built as well as the 361.But if he is used to running an 041,the weight ,balance and AV of a 390 will make him think hes sawin with a Cadillac.Hope Im stihl out sawin at 70

and I was just about to throw mad props for the Mak 6401.

Oh well.

If more folks ran Makita/Dolmar saws they'd realize how great they are.

My grandfather is 80 and still runs a 041 and calls it his new saw. I let him run my 575 and he loved it and has always liked the 044, just goes to prove what some call heavy on here old folks don't. You will probably catch you know what for the weight of the 390 but it is a nice saw and I gurantee pops will talk about how light it is and gripe about all the plastic.

No worries, I have been eyeballing the Domar 6400/Mak 6401.

If you end up with one there is no shortages of new pistons and cylinders on Arboristsite. A BUNCH of us have bought 6400/6401's and upgraded to the 79cc piston and cylinder. I know I would sell mine fairly cheap, and probably quite a few others.

Latest posts

Back