Popular Mechanics Chainsaw Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in my experience they are #4 in usable and durable product. Husky Jonny#1,Dolmar #2,Echo#3and then stihl is how I see it.

Rope whats the matter ole boy, are ya mad they took Stihl's most popular saw and didn't compare it to Husky's most popular saw, is that the problem. Maybe Sears was closed that day and they couldn't get a new Craftsman to test,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

those dayumm FLIPPY CAPS,

Well, regardless of if you like Stihl or not.. you do gotta admit that those are the worst inventions they have come up with in the past decade or so. Nice in theory I guess.. but is there anybody who has used one or any length of time and not dumped some chain oil or gasoline on ground.

That's why I no longer read Consumer Report !! These short term theoretical analysis are as convincing as Consumer Report's advice on who I should be marrying :givebeer:

Well, regardless of if you like Stihl or not.. you do gotta admit that those are the worst inventions they have come up with in the past decade or so. Nice in theory I guess.. but is there anybody who has used one or any length of time and not dumped some chain oil or gasoline on ground.

Last edited:
I'm floored that the MS 290 got 5 stars. There are plenty of chinese saws I'd take before I'd accept another MS 290.

Someone is bound to pick up a maybach or craftop/Newtop/Suretec, rebrand it and sell it here.

Plus, the price is right. Whichever factory works best with their customer is of course going to win business. Whoever knows their stuff when it comes to saws and feeding the Chinese with valuable feedback can easily bring the Chinese saws into serious competition with the others.

Radio control has come that way, ATVs/Motorcycles are on their way, lawn maintenance and saws are bound to follow suit.

And the reason reviews mean notta:cheers: I for one, will never and I mean never; buy another stihl saw, as long as I shall live. Why? I have found them undependable for the work I have to do.

Rope what kinda work do you do thats different from other tree outfits or arborists, this curious mind would like to know for a reason. I got many aborists, landscapers and tree outfits that swear by their Stihls. In fact I got one arborist that got rid of 8 Huskies and now runs all Stihls, yup I filled his truck to the hilt, he says he will never buy another Husky, he isn't kin to you by chance is he,LOL

Rope what kinda work do you do thats different from other tree outfits or arborists, this curious mind would like to know for a reason. I got many aborists, landscapers and tree outfits that swear by their Stihls. In fact I got one arborist that got rid of 8 Huskies and now runs all Stihls, yup I filled his truck to the hilt, he says he will never buy another Husky, he isn't kin to you by chance is he,LOL

Many corporate tree guys do in fact like stihls they can dilly dally around messing with air filters and flippy caps which gives them excuses for breaks. I get paid by the work I complete so my saws need to be efficient in maintenance, speed cutting and fueling. I know stihls are good saws and many like them but my experience has been less frustration running husky saws, never had a problem that was not due to excessive hours so they get my business.

Last edited:
Many corporate tree guys do in fact like stihls they can dilly dally around messing with air filters and flippy caps which gives the excuses for breaks. I get paid by the work I complete so my saws need to be efficient in maintenance, speed cutting and fueling. I know stihls are good saws and many like them but my experience has been less frustration running husky saws, never had a problem that was not due to excessive hours so they get my business.

Awwwwwwwww too funny. Surely you don't really think they are using Stihls so they can take breaks throughout the day, come on Rope, you know better than that. They aren't big corporate either by no means, just small 5-10 man outfits out there making a living like everyone else. Hell I got one tree guy thats a one man operator along with his wife helping him. He does quite well for himself. Sucker told me he pulled in over a 100 grand last year which is why I cut his discounts off,LOL

Since your getting good service out of your Huskies good for you, keep on using them but remember there are many many Stihl's out there giving good service too, many that were sold by yours truely which is how I know they hold up quite well.

I don't think Stihl would have to pay to get the top rating here. Most objective individuals would pick the Jred if price were not a concern, myself included. For the average Joe who cuts a couple logs a year the 290 makes a lot of sense though, especially for the money. Based on the outcome one can only assume that price was a big factor in the final outcome.

Last edited:
Out of the bunch tested the MS290 is built the cheapest, has the least power and wieghts the most and should be rated last. The Echo ($439 shipped on Ebay right now) is the only true pro saw with closed tranferrs, mag case and all, will cut right with a 361 Stihl (does the 290?). Nothing wrong with t Jred or Solo either built good and a better saw than the 290. The 455 and 290 might be close in quality but having run both I'd take the 455 any day. The only way Stihl sells so many 290 saws is by over rating the power, selling cheap and getting mags to give bogus reviews. Steve

Back