portable PTO unit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does any one have any information on these machines or has anyone ever build one. I need one that reduces 3300 rpm down to 450 rpm for a firewood processor. the price for this one pictured is $5,000 can .

5000 will buy a person a decent tractor around here, maybe even with a loader.

Small gas motor and 5 speed tranny out of a junked out car or truck = power unit with multiple speed PTO. Leave it right in the frame and weld the axle so it doesn't turn .Weld a hitch in front of radiator and you have a cheap power unit. Don't ask me how I know this works , but it does. It wasn't pretty but it worked and had more power than I knew what to do with for what I was running.

independently powered PTO system

Does any one have any information on these machines or has anyone ever build one. I need one that reduces 3300 rpm down to 450 rpm for a firewood processor. the price for this one pictured is $5,000 can.

This is one of the situations where you have to decide if the opportunity cost is worth it-meaning:

1.The system is totally engineered for a power take off application.

2.The unit itself is very easily transported/moved with a truck or a low power tractor.

3. the system is ready out of the box/wooden crate. Add oil, fuel, grease, gear oil, and play.

3. No work is required by you to build and test the power unit as it has already been proofed.

4. Any repairs will be easily accomplished due to its inherent simplicity and set up, ease of access for repairs.

5. The equipment life will be longer and it will be more productive as it is only ment for the processor/conveyor etc.

6. You may(want to or end up) purchasing an electric generator run by the PTO to convert you firewood processor to all electric operation, and simplifying its operation and improving its performance with more power.

It would be capable of generating 480 volts three phase power at 540 rpm continuosly with no sweat- a small 480 volt motor is dream as far as available power is concerned and using the motor to power a big hydraulic pump is easy especially if you have a three section gear pump with or with out a flow divider a a single vane pump which is better anyway.

7. In short it is a win, win as it will expand you operating a lot.

8. Is it worth your time and effort to copy and build a system like this as you you already can buy one ready to work?

9. A purchase like this does nothing but improve you system and its overall efficiency.

10. It is also deductable(easily verified with a purchase reciept) for income taxes and depreciation expense as it is a short term asset.

you only need to buy a good tool or piece of equipment once.

Leon

:chainsaw: :givebeer: :popcorn:

Last edited:
Back