portable saw mill logosol or alaskan ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am going to get a portable saw mill for my 064.
I was looking at logosol timberjig ( big mill, lsg ect ) or alaskan mk111s.
I will mostly be cutting smaller wood (12-36") but may need to cut big stuff occasionaly.
Any one got any experience with these things?
Is one better than the other?
Or are there other options ( besides building my own from scratch) ?

The Alaskan mill is more portable.

GB makes a very similar mill to the Alaskan, that is supposed to be a superior design. 4 posts instead of 2, and better clamping design for mounting to the bar.

Thanks for the advice. Who makes the GB ? I can't find it on the
internet.

The stamp on the mill looks alot like the GB on the GB bars. They are out of Austrailia, but I dont remember the wbsite. I did a search recently and couldnt find it.

If you like...I can get a few pictures tonight. on and off the saw.

Pictures would be great. I have never heard of GB. Are they available in
GB ( Great Britain ha ha) or Europe?

Yeah, I dont think the two companies are related, odd.

I didnt get pictures, I was busy trimming the boards Ive got cut so I can get them stacked. Ill more than likely have the 66 and the mill out tomorrow nite.

Ok here we go, used a logosol timberjig for 4 months love it for what I can do with it. Huge stuff! One draw back the longer the bar the more it will be off unless you use the Big Mill System from logosol (I have not found anyone that sells these those,pic below) which is basically a MKIII. I used the MKIII for the first time yesterday and had a epiphany on how iam going to cut now!! Cut the huge logs into more manageable pieces and then go to town with the MKIII. Here are some picks of what the timberjig can do. Have not got any from the MKIII yet. Check back for those. And feel free to ask some questions. I do realize that iam missing my chaps!!!

Last edited:
Here ya go, pics of the GB mill;

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great pics, thanks for posting them. My mind is made up.... I'm getting one.

Hey CaseyForrest gota few question's about the mill set up you have. How old is that, I have used the 56" GB mill probably about 30 years old and it did not connect to the saw just the bar at both ends. Made chain tighting a breeze.

ws58749 said:
Hey CaseyForrest gota few question's about the mill set up you have. How old is that, I have used the 56" GB mill probably about 30 years old and it did not connect to the saw just the bar at both ends. Made chain tighting a breeze.

Its about 3 weeks old.

Ok here are some pics of the logosol timberjig at work. I like the timberjig for the fact that you can save wood as opposed to the Gb mill due to difficult mounting options. But you cant beat the easy of setup after you have the top off with the GB. They are both great just keep reading and decide what is best for you.

ws58749 said:
Ok here are some pics of the logosol timberjig at work. I like the timberjig for the fact that you can save wood as opposed to the Gb mill due to difficult mounting options. But you cant beat the easy of setup after you have the top off with the GB. They are both great just keep reading and decide what is best for you.

Give us a shot of the jig and saw while not being used, please.

I don't know anything about milling and making lumber out of different trees, but Im curous why you guys do portable milling. Near where I live you can go to some small saw mills and get rough lumber- farmers around here use it to make sheds and for rough projects. I suppose you can buy it form the mills cheaper than you can cut your own. I've read some post where you guys get blown down trees. I like that idea of saving a tree. Near me there's a tree laying in the woods my father 77, said it was a Wild Cherry I think and would make some good lumber- its about 2ft dia. It still looks pretty solid, but it just going to lay and rot. So do you guys mill your lumber to save money, is it mainly a hobby, or is it a business? Just curious.

I am getting a mill for a few reasons.
Firstly because I am building a house and can save money on lumber
and get better quality lumber for free ( a solid oak staicase instead of a red deal one for example, or solid beech kitchen surfaces).
Secondly because I am a treeman and I hate to see good wood wasted.
Thirdly because I will be the only one around here able to mill large trees in
hard to get to places or peoples back gardens and I think that there is some money to be made.

Milling my own to save the wasted wood- and the price of lumber has gone up a bunch. Plus, I have a customer that needs a 32' beam for restoration of a log cabin. Hadn't thought about the aspect of doing it in a customers yard though-thanks:cheers:

I bought my mill because I want to build my son a playhouse. Figured itd be alot neater to build it entirely from wood that I milled. Now that Ive been using it, itll get used alot more too!

Back