portable saw mill logosol or alaskan ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know anything about milling and making lumber out of different trees, but Im curous why you guys do portable milling.

I bought my Alaskan MKIII because most of the wood is up a steep slope on the other side of a creek with not easy access to it. I would rather carry down rough boards as opposed to logs. Also there are very few mills around here..

attachment.php

This picture is taken up near the top of the lot just making use of some fallen trees...

attachment.php

I am also cutting up some of the smaller birch using my bandsaw so I can make some furniture with it just to be able to say that the wood came off the property. The birch is not that big and I did not want to loose the 3/8" of the chainsaw kerf.

attachment.php

attachment.php

(Isn't the top handle on the mill in the photo above supposed to face in the direction of the cut? Maybe I'm just confused....oh well.)

Anyways, people buy mills for numerous reasons. For me it was a large cedar tree that needed to be removed and a new fence built below it. The wood for the fence was sitting right there in the tree. Why chop the tree into firewood and/or dispose of it and buy lumber from the store when for less money I can get a chainsaw mill and chainsaw and make the lumber myself? (Plus you have the added benefits of putting the tree to good use, and getting to buy new tools...who can resist that? Not me.)

The sad fact is that in many (most?) places, mills won't touch a tree that they don't know where it came from (read 'the woods'). Too many wrecked saw blades I suppose. And you generally can't get people who own a portable mill to get off their arse and mill something without paying them an arm and a leg for their trouble. The solution? A chainsaw mill or portable mill for yourself.

ATTN: CaseyForrest

Thanks for posting the pics of your GB mill. It's got me thinking about rebuilding my homemade rig. Would you mind posting some more close up pics of the mechanical parts of the mill. I'm particularly interested in the chain tension adjustment and height adjustment mechanisms. I'm also wondering if unistrut would work for the rails on a factory GB mill. What's the width of the factory rails?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
aggiewoodbutchr said:
Thanks for posting the pics of your GB mill. It's got me thinking about rebuilding my homemade rig. Would you mind posting some more close up pics of the mechanical parts of the mill. I'm particularly interested in the chain tension adjustment and height adjustment mechanisms. I'm also wondering if unistrut would work for the rails on a factory GB mill. What's the width of the factory rails?

Thanks again.

Ok, I will get some close ups and a few measurements tomorrow and get them up.

Latest posts

Back