Portawrap slings (large trees)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weston

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So my question is what eye/woopie/loopie slings do you guys prefer for attaching a portawrap to 6-8ft diameter trees. I just bid a large cotton wood and my sling is a little small for the job.

Just use the end of a large bull rope. Notice I didn't say cut the large bull rope.

What knots would you use to attach the Porta to the rope and the rope to the trunk?

I use a 3/4 Tenex whoopie that easily goes to a 4' or 5' diameter trunk.

011_zpsb1568546.jpg

What knots would you use to attach the Porta to the rope and the rope to the trunk?

011_zpsb1568546.jpg

I've been using one of the knots in the knot book, but I plan to pick up a Tenex Whoopie.

011_zpsb1568546.jpg

Like was mentioned, the cow hitch also called a Stilson hitch.

Take a heavy rope at it's mid point and girth it to the port-a-wrap. Then continue to tie the cow hitch using both strands of the rope running parallel to each other that come from the girth hitch. Of course you don't have to start in the mid point of the large rope but you will need enough rope to complete the hitch. A lighter rope could by laced 4X. A 3/4 Tenex whoopie is a perfect solution if it's is long enough.

I know I'm going to be the odd one here but I just use 3 strand and make differing size eye slings. Much of mine are also just half inch but i'm staying at less than half rated load when i use it. I break out the 3/4 tenex rarely cause bombing chunks is way more fun and productive. I find it much easier to roll sod back or pile a chip cushion than fart with moving a 3/4 tenex sling and arborist block each cut but hey to each his own:havingarest:

Thank you for the replies. I just ended up buying a new "big rig kit" with the 25' eye sling from wesspur. So we shall see how it works this Saturday.

Back