porting a muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpanseri

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i understand that porting a muffler is a delicate job because its pointless if you don't open it enough but it is destructive if you open it to much ( no back pressure). if i was to do it to a saw i have how would i go about getting the directions to do so?

I would suggest you do a search for "muffler modifications". You can also narrow it down if you add the saw model you wish to modify. There should be lots of information here.
Good luck.

One rule of thumb is to keep the total area of the muffler ports more or less the same area as the cylinder port. However, there is something of a science to this, so do as Toneman suggests and search the forum.

Chris B.

Attach an air compressor hose to the spark plug hole and run air through (and out the muffler port) while grinding to reduce any chance of filings getting into the cylinder head
Frans

Why would you need a air hose to the plug hole? Duhhhh? Take the muffler off the saw

porting

You guys spend WAYYYY to much time on this muffler porting. An Amish customer showed how it was done. A pick axe to the front of the muffler, twice, and you are done!
Ain't no joke, just ask Stihlman.

Latest posts

Back