Possible new bad gas. What should I do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you get over 10% corn alcohol in pump gas, it's death for small engines and there is no way in reality, a gas station owner will know because the corn alcohol is blended in at the refinery and you are 100% at the operator's mercy at the refiner. Modern ECM controlled engines can internally compensate for it and so can 'flex-fuel' engines. Small engines and motorcycle engines cannot. Why I switched to canned gas a while ago. No guessing, no issues and best of all, canned gas smokes very little and the exhaust don't stink either... and no carbon buildup on the spark screen or in the exhaust port-tract either.

I'd never buy any pump gas for my saws or brush trimmer, ever again. Far as my small 4 strokes like the rototiller and lawn mower, I add some ATF to each tank just in case.

In fact I just dumped 8 gallons of gas I bought in the fall into my ECM controlled car. It can adjust for the stale gas.
Ethanol isn't blended in at the refinery because we don't want our equipment like tanks and pipelines damaged.
It's blended typically at the loading rack.

It happens every spring on the first few warm days. Guys are running leftover winter fuel and the vapor pressure is too low and it boils in the saws and won’t run.

40:1 red armor is fine
When he mentioned that it got up to 80 degrees that was my thought as well.

Usually stinks as well. I've never smelled a fart that didn't actually.

If I was the op, I would have bought a gallon of red Armor 40-1 0r 50-1 canned fuel and used that.

All I use any more and no worries about seasonal blends or mixing in correct ratio's of oil or getting stale gas. Canned gas, while it might be expensive eliminates all the frustration and possible issues of pump gas. All I use now and an opened tin of canned gas has a 5 year shelf life. Try that with your pump gas.

Take the weasel pee you bought and put it in your lawnmower or tiller and call it good.
I have yet to try last year's new blend of lead free aviation fuel designed for older and newer engines

If we could get Aspen fuel here reasonable it would be worth it. Those running can fuel... that's great we use it in one lawnmower that does my yard and my neighbors. Running canned fuel in big my csm isn't going to happen. I burned a gallon or more yesterday in three under 60cc saws doing some ash trees. Wasn't like I was laying into big oak with a big saw. Canned gas just isn't practical for most of us. Once the local fuel docks on the water open soon three of us are setting up indoor or outdoor under cover fuel depot for gasoline, diesel fuel and greese. I burn grease and one place has about three hundred gallons a year to give me. It will be well worth our time to make the switch to marine fuel stored onsite. No more water or Eth issues or trips out to get fuel. We plan to have it delivered if the price is close to the pump. 94 Efree No Staybill. Turnover should be 120 days at the most.

All this information makes me feel better and knowing my saws probably are not damaged. I’ll be able to look at them tonight when I get home.
I didn’t know there was such a difference between the summer and winter blend of gasoline. Makes sense now.

The reasoning why I was concerned it was bad gas (could have even been an honest mistake like ethanol fuel put into a non-ethanol tank by accident) was because of the stations past history. It crossed my mind the gas station could have pumps rigged for shorting people is because they have made the news several times over the last few years and have been fined hundreds of thousands of dollars by the state and federal government. Plus over 800k of cash was seized from the gas station for gambling. They were known for selling drugs, and alcohol to minors. It’s a shame they are the only gas station within 70 miles that sells 91 octane non ethanol fuel. It’s a Sunoco station but that does not mean the owners got their act together.

I use e free 90 octane REC gas. Is there a summer and winter blend in it too?
Same here. I believe there has to be or we wouldn’t be hearing so much about it.
The only other way that makes sense is if it’s car gas with ethanol that they are buying mistakenly rather than rec gas.

@bwalker
Do you believe rec fuel has a winter and summer blend as well?

All this information makes me feel better and knowing my saws probably are not damaged. I’ll be able to look at them tonight when I get home.
I didn’t know there was such a difference between the summer and winter blend of gasoline. Makes sense now.

The reasoning why I was concerned it was bad gas (could have even been an honest mistake like ethanol fuel put into a non-ethanol tank by accident) was because of the stations past history. It crossed my mind the gas station could have pumps rigged for shorting people is because they have made the news several times over the last few years and have been fined hundreds of thousands of dollars by the state and federal government. Plus over 800k of cash was seized from the gas station for gambling. They were known for selling drugs, and alcohol to minors. It’s a shame they are the only gas station within 70 miles that sells 91 octane non ethanol fuel. It’s a Sunoco station but that does not mean the owners got their act together.
I'd be trying real hard to find another fuel source in the area, even if it's buying 5 gallon cans of non-E racing fuel. It's Texas, there's got to be another source closer than 70 miles.

Doesn't take many issues with equipment to make some extra hassle sourcing fuel worthwhile.

I'd be trying real hard to find another fuel source in the area, even if it's buying 5 gallon cans of non-E racing fuel. It's Texas, there's got to be another source closer than 70 miles.

Doesn't take many issues with equipment to make some extra hassle sourcing fuel worthwhile.
Sadly there is not. Wichita Falls is about 30 miles away from me and that one station carries the 91 octane non ethanol.
That’s the closest because we go there for shopping.
There are a few other stations closer than 70 miles but they only have the 87 octane e free gas.
The next place closest to me that carries the 91 octane non ethanol is in St Jo and that’s 73 miles away.

Now triangulate my coordinates.

Have you found the news articles about the gas station in question?

Sadly there is not. Wichita Falls is about 30 miles away from me and that one station carries the 91 octane non ethanol.
There are a few other stations closer than 70 miles but they only have the 87 octane e free gas.
The next place closest to me that carries the 91 octane non ethanol is in St Jo and that’s 73 miles away.

How much gas do you use just get a 5 gallon pail of VP

Same here. I believe there has to be or we wouldn’t be hearing so much about it.
The only other way that makes sense is if it’s car gas with ethanol that they are buying mistakenly rather than rec gas.

@bwalker
Do you believe rec fuel has a winter and summer blend as well?
It most certainly does. If not you would have starting issues in the winter.

I'd rather run fresh E0 87 octane from a reputable supplier than highly suspect E0 91 octane from a bunch of thieves and crooks.

How much gas do you use just get a 5 gallon pail of VP
Last year I used approximately 9 gallons of fuel with one saw (261). This year I added the other two saws and will cut more wood so I will probably use a little more. I would guess 12-15 gallons a year on firewood. Plus I have my other 2 cycle yard equipment I run for about 9 months out of the year.

I haven’t seen the VP cans locally. I see them on the internet and it looks like a cheaper option.
The Stihl 1 gallon cans are $40. That would add up.
Lowes and Home Depot have tru fuel but I certainly wouldn’t trust that. With their relaxed return policy, I wouldn’t put it past a scumbag to refill the can with old gas and return the gas for a refund.
I honestly wish these cans were sealed when you bought them so you know exactly what you’re getting.

Last year I used approximately 9 gallons of fuel with one saw (261). This year I added the other two saws and will cut more wood so I will probably use a little more. I would guess 12-15 gallons a year on firewood. Plus I have my other 2 cycle yard equipment I run for about 9 months out of the year.

I haven’t seen the VP cans locally. I see them on the internet and it looks like a cheaper option.
The Stihl 1 gallon cans are $40. That would add up.
Lowes and Home Depot have tru fuel but I certainly wouldn’t trust that. With their relaxed return policy, I wouldn’t put it past a scumbag to refill the can with old gas and return the gas for a refund.
I honestly wish these cans were sealed when you bought them so you know exactly what you’re getting.
TSC has decent prices on VP canned fuel.

Back