Post a helpful hint to help teach others

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean a snot rocket?

.....and here I thought a snot rocket was a northern Pike!
Picture071.jpg

Last edited:
air supply

I carry one of those caned air cans to clean the air filter and to blow the crap away from it while in the woods. Also and old paint brush about 2-3 inches that the bristles are still good to wipe away "wood snot" . Don't take up too much room in gear bag. I also have at least one extra bar nut in one of the old plastic 35mm film containers.

Amount of Work

Cutting the tree down is the easy part, cleaning it up and making firewood takes a lot more work and time. Stacking firewood is an excellent cure for a hangover, running the chainsaw is not. When cutting down trees in a fence row cut one down and clean it up, cutting the entire 1/4 mile down then cleaning it up is not a good use of your time (trust me).

It is just to bad I learned all these lessons on the same job in a matter of 2 days.

Yooper gave away my best one. Ashes are a great traction aid and snow/ice melter on the driveway, as long as there aren't nails in your wood.

When starting the cutting season, ease into it, and gradually increase your wood workouts. You use muscles woodcutting that are probably not used often otherwise, and they are much happier if you don't just slam 'em in high gear and stand on it right away.

Carry a first aid kit, and keep it somewhere handy, not a 1/4 mile back in the truck.

Stolen from someone on this site, can't remember who: Always move wood in the direction of the stove!

If you are looking for a place to cut, track down a local farmer. Trees are often just a nuisance to them, and a hazard to their machinery. Right now, just after the crops are off, and early spring, before planting are prime times, as they will be likely to remember where the trees that fell into the field are, and there will be access to them. Be prepared to take the good wood with the bad, though.

There is no "bad" wood. It's all flammable, sure some is better than others, but it will all keep the gas man away.

Like the back window in your pickup like it is now, all water and wind proof? Build or buy a headache rack. Sooner or later, you WILL break it loading wood.

That's all folks!

Awesome thread. thanks to all!

I'm a woodburning newbie, and I really appreciate the helpful tips. My better half is really getting tired of me " learning the hard way". Whether its with my chainsaw, my tractor, or our relationship. I still like to think you can learn something new every day.

Never trust a fart after a night of drinking....

Thump standing dead trees before felling them, and use your ears when cutting. If the thing talks to you, listen, and do what your feet tell ya!

If ya cut in the Poison Ivy, spray your stuff down with brake cleaner or Ether ASAP after cutting. No point in bringing the crap home. Just let the saw cool first.

Turn sideways to the ram when splitting Walnut crotches, or wear a Cup.

The top 5" of worn out wool socks make great wristovers for cutting in the cold. Keeps your hands warmer and snow and chips out of the gloves.

For getting Burdock and fine slivers out of the skin or off clothes, it's hard to beat Duct tape.

Simple green and fabric softener works better than any laundry detergent to get oil outta the jeans.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Do as I say; Not as I do

When your told not to stack your wood to high in the pick up because someone on AS took out his rear window that way. Listen to your dad...

I remember that thread. I think that's the title you gave it too. I remember the title because it made me feel okay having a laff at someone else's expense.

For getting Burdock and fine slivers out of the skin or off clothes, it's hard to beat Duct tape.

This time of year, the seeds of beggarticks (grew up calling them devils pitchforks) wreak havoc on fabric and pets. Duct tape's a real timesaver.

Beggarticks-3.jpg

I remember that thread. I think that's the title you gave it too. I remember the title because it made me feel okay having a laff at someone else's expense.

This time of year, the seeds of beggarticks (grew up calling them devils pitchforks) wreak havoc on fabric and pets. Duct tape's a real timesaver.

Beggarticks-3.jpg

attachment.php

On pets these usually require scissors. I had a kidney stone once that looked like one of those........:(

Latest posts

Back