Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally took some pics of my firewood mess. I have wood every where but got a new toy to help get it done. View attachment 300989View attachment 300990View attachment 300991View attachment 300992View attachment 300993

Looks like it's time to consolidate.....:hmm3grin2orange:
Nice pics. :msp_thumbup:

300989-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371662906-358604-jpg
300990-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371662931-096173-jpg
300991-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371662950-108390-jpg
300992-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371662972-292138-jpg
300993-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371663000-921657-jpg

Yeah I will take pics of that big piece of cherry when I split it. I split some big crotch pieces of cherry and it went through with ease. Makes splitting wood fun. I do like the fiskars but my back cant take it.

Around here not many people know what a rick is
I will sell wood if I need to for extra money and I go by the going price around here, since max is $180, I'll let a full chord go for $150 or $50 a rick AND I will explain what a rick is for those who don't know. I'm like you thought I hate a face chord, I also hate people that sneak a few dozen pine pieces in too just case they can to unsuspecting folks that don't know.

So what _is_ a rick? I have never seen one defined as a legal measure. Dictionary defines it as a pile of wood 1 stick wide by however long/high you want to pile it.

From your post it appears that your rick is 1/3 cord.

Yes, I am aware that there are a lot of local measures for firewood but when it comes to Weights&Measures regs, if it is mentioned at all they specify that it is _not_ a legal measure.

Why not just call it what it is, 1/3 cord?

Harry K

A rick is not a legal measure of firewood, at least in most places. A rick is, in fact, one-third of a cord. Many people around here would rather buy and sell by the rick, however. Many people around here wouldn't know a cord by anything but "three ricks." It's almost a foreign concept.

A rick is not a legal measure of firewood, at least in most places. A rick is, in fact, one-third of a cord. Many people around here would rather buy and sell by the rick, however. Many people around here wouldn't know a cord by anything but "three ricks." It's almost a foreign concept.

Yeah... Same way around here... So I just clarify with them what their concept of a "Rick" is, and explain how that would translate into cords... Which is what I'm selling...
Most folks like to be "in the know"... So they catch on quick...

Yeah... Same way around here... So I just clarify with them what their concept of a "Rick" is, and explain how that would translate into cords... Which is what I'm selling...

Bah! Society changes, rick, rack, rank, even cord and face cord are passe......we don't say forsooth much anymore either..the true real modern day measurement of firewood is set by the modern firewood selling and buying community on craigslist and penny trader whatever classifieds all over, it is...

"the load"..

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Bah! Society changes, rick, rack, rank, even cord and face cord are passe......we don't say forsooth much anymore either..the true real modern day measurement of firewood is set by the modern firewood selling and buying community on craigslist and penny trader whatever classifieds all over, it is...

"the load"..

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Aaaahhhhh!!!!

"THE LOAD"....

That may well be the best term in wood selling EVER!!!

:rock:

A “rick” is 1/3 of a full cord or simply a ‘face cord’ meaning a stack of firewood 4’ tall x 8’ long and cuts at 16 inches. 3 of these stacks is equal to 128 cu.ft. so that is a full cord.

A “rick” is 1/3 of a full cord or simply a ‘face cord’ meaning a stack of firewood 4’ tall x 8’ long and cuts at 16 inches. 3 of these stacks is equal to 128 cu.ft. so that is a full cord.

Very true, a rick is 1-3 of a chord no matter what planet you are on

I think the term "Face Cord" originally referred to the sale of cook stove wood cut to only 12" long, so it could have meant 1/4 cord...
The history of these Lamen's terms is interesting to me. And how they evolved over the years...
To "Rick", is to make a stack...
Though most of us know what a Rick is, what did the term originally spring from???
Anyone know???

Wood has to be sold by the cord in many states. Rick, face cord, pile, truck load, bunch of, etc aren't legal measurements.

Some years back I helped a friend get some wood from a seller. The seller was complaining the whole time that we were cheating him... never did sell a cord that took up that much wood, "I don't sell none of them dictionary cords"

He told us to pick up this tiny pile, and once I did I had the trailer (which held a cord) barely 1/2 full.. "ok... where's the rest?"

I told him to stop frigging cheating people! He stopped complaining when I told him I'd report him to the bureau of weights and measurements and the forestry department for ripping people off.

We had a U-Haul trailer that the inside was just about 128 cu ft!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll get better photos in a few weeks when I setup with the processor. I have not picked it up yet, leaving early next week for Iowa to get it.

Yeah it will handle it fine as long as it's under about 22-24" thick. Over that and I have to cut with a saw and split on the Swisher.
(This is based on experience on another Blockbuster, older unit but about same size.)
I have an 18" bar on my saws and I've yet to find anything that I needed more bar.

The Blockbuster has a 20" bar, .404 0.80 gauge harvester chain.

That is a long trip! Alaska to Iowa. Just looked up Blockbuster and see they are located in Mt. Pleasant, little more than an hour from me and I never even knew they were so close in Iowa.
Are you driving your diesel and towing or trailering the processor?

Ron

I think the term "Face Cord" originally referred to the sale of cook stove wood cut to only 12" long, so it could have meant 1/4 cord...
The history of these Lamen's terms is interesting to me. And how they evolved over the years...
To "Rick", is to make a stack...
Though most of us know what a Rick is, what did the term originally spring from???
Anyone know???

Since a “rick” is a measure that is not regulated by states that regulate the sale of firewood, I would recommend you contact a University that may be able to provide some more insight as they have probably done research on such questions. This is an interesting read and the link to Oklahoma State University’s Division of Agricultural Science and Natural Resources is at the top of this document.

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2507/

From OSU...

attachment.php

This is why the term "rick" gives some folks heartburn...
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But it DOES acknowledge it as a common term in OK....
No history of the term though..:bang:

Last edited:
Since a "rick" is not regulated for measuring firewood sells it may be difficult to easily find the history; you'll probably have to do some research as to where that term was derived from. I would suggest starting at a University, specifically in an Agricultural and/or Renewable Natural Resources Department since they probably have come across this in their research. This article was not intended to answer the history of the term, but rather point out that Universities at least note such measures.

Good luck with your search…keep us posted if it is of interest.

:rock:

A little Encyclopedia reading for everyone...

cord (measurement) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Interesting...and here are some other terms as well in Wiki in addition to cord: "Other non-official terms for firewood volume include standing cord, kitchen cord, running cord, face cord, fencing cord, country cord, long cord, and rick, all subject to local variation."

Cord (unit) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, I see that two common terms we may all be familiar with as well are not noted:
a sh!t ton and a sh!t load.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back