Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of Oak...

Quercus x Introgensia... 3 White Oaks Hybrid...
Starts producing Acorns between 4 & 8 years... Grows 12"-24" per year...

Hard to Find.

Dancan,

Here in Sydney we get light frost maybe a dozen mornings over winter, day time temps would be 14 - 20 deg Celsius. Wouldn't even need heating if they built the houses properly. We get a fire on most nights, I throw in a couple of big logs before I go to bed and the house is still warm in the morning. Our biggest issue is my wife can't stand the cold so need a fire more or less just for her.:cold:
Would love to see how you guys live where its realy cold. I personaly prefer winter here but I can imagine it would wear thin real fast when you can't even get out of your driveway.:dizzy:

I have another beauty to cut. The guy left me the good part.
1d7626f70b17bb55bbede4a31f27cb87.jpg

c931f59c5159678f6a32d76311e34bdf.jpg

Dancan our winters are nice.....summers can be bloody hot. I posted at the start of our summer we had a scrotching hot day, I stayed back at work waiting for it to cool down for my cycle home. Ended up riding home at 7pm...... It was still 40C.

One other thing...

Michigan residents-
Stille-DeRossett-Hale single state construction code act

Any building classified as but not limited to storage unit, barn, and or animal shelter is excempt from building permits. If it's Primary use or Incidental use is Agriculture.

How sweet is that..

*Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, don't blame me if you break any laws... Just sayin*

I live in Oneida Township and built a lean-too last year. Wanting to do the "right" thing I called the building inspector and asked if I need a building permit. Of course he said yes... But get this..... Because of the size of it, he classified it as a "carport" because, and I quote " I know eventually you are going to pour concrete and put sides on it." Permit cost me $147 for a 10x26 lean-too.

I get my holes dug and call to have him come inspect and he says to me... "I wouldn't have been able to see this from the road, you should have just built it."

I wont be calling him again.

I doubt I will ever be putting another building on my land unless I do a combination guest house/shop and that will need a permit.

The act includes structures incidental to farming for retail trade... I'm assuming that means, a guest house or ranch hand quarters if it also is used for selling things... Like a farm auction building would be excempt, even if somebody resided there... But other building codes would probably still apply... Save any money you can... Right?

Progress on the splitting project. Been plugging away at it all winter (very open winter here, hardly any snow)

progress1_zpshctg87mx.jpg

Picture of it upthread back in Jan (IIANM) with several unsplit ricks of rounds still waiting. 2 full ricka and the one I am working on come up to 5 cord. I do it all manually with Fiskars and wedge/sledge. Maul hardly ever gets used except as a 'wedge with a handle' to finish out a stubborn split by pouding on it with the 10lb sledge. I don't 'push' it. 1-2 hour a day just to get the old bod woke up.

Scattered chunks are the rejects from the manual splitting. They will go to the splitter and rejects there will be noodled.

burn_zpsrdkusvvl.jpg

The burn spot. I dump cartloads of bark dthat comes off as I split there and burn when the pile gets about 3'x3'x3' - comes out to about every second day. Pile of somwhere around 15 cord unsplit black locust rounds in middle background. 1 cord measured ricks of Willow that is alreay spoken for delivery this summer in the background
Just a corner of a pile containing 12-15 cord of split black locust at left corner of pic.

great pix, enjoyed the show! lots of open country, but I do like that stand of pines. you have been bizzee!! if I could " Like " your post twice... LOL... I would! ;)

the 'stand' of split wood speaks for itself!! :)

Building codes and inspections are alright, if they are done to insure that stuff is done right. If I am buying property, I want to know that the structure is built right. I have seen a lot of half-*ssed building construction, wiring, plumbing, etc. Lot of safety concerns with lots of improvised construction. Sometimes you can't see it until it is too late. Maybe not an issue for a wood shed, but definitely for a dwelling.

If the permit and inspection are just to raise your tax assessment, that is another story.

Philbert

k
Me and my trusty partner in what might be the smallest firewood operation west of the Schuylkill:

View attachment 493073

I am still confused how your 'prime mover and trailer with 500 hours and even more, respectively... have no marks, dirt, ding, dangs, and what knots on them... heck, I seem to get a new scratch on my tractors and wood prime movers... every time I use them... :laughing: but if u were to tell me... just look at my wood stack and u will know how and why... I would say:

oic! and concur. nice pix! like ur partner... I like it when my Norwegian Elkhound is with me... in country! never in town, but out in my south 40... I let him run 'free range'... :)

KIKO.jpg

Latest posts

Back