Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e117d3987a51a62cfaa85b87712d3ea4.jpg

Cleaned up the splitting mess from last winter/fall. Putting a little grass seed down. Notice one of the girls poking her head out of the coop. They are still too nervous to go check out the yard. Brian

like the pix!... lots of firewood... nice coop! I see plenty yard eggs in future... :)

Welcome Woody, and a big ole wave from a another guy from the mitten state:hi:.
Yes Woody I've got you pegged as another Michigangster:cheers:(anywhere near m-57?).
Looks like you have a great setup there, and are lucky enough to have a "real woman", better hold on to her tight as they are hard to find:yes:.
It's a good thing you got that big chipper chaser protecting that nice stash of wood you got there. If I didn't already have more than I could handle I just might be using Google maps to track that pile down, that and the fact you got the chipper chaser:crazy2:.

I'm on it BL, thanks for the heads up:cheers:.

>I'm on it BL, thanks for the heads up:cheers:

lol, that's what friends r for... ;)

Welcome Woody, Looks like you have a great setup there, and are lucky enough to have a "real woman", better hold on to her tight as they are hard to find:yes:. It's a good thing you got that big chipper chaser protecting that nice stash of wood you got there. If I didn't already have more than I could handle I just might be using Google maps to track that pile down, that and the fact you got the chipper chaser:crazy2:.I'm on it BL, thanks for the heads up:cheers:.

yo chipper - 'morning... maybe too much ice cream last nite, huh?... Woody dint say he had a 'real woman!" gosh, o'mighty... we can all see that! ;) what he said was that his fiancé, his wife to be... well, that she is a REAL good woman! wince:

Woody: I keep a small step ladder in there for the wife to be to use when she is stoking the stove. Yes my fiance likes helping me!! She's a REAL good woman!!

:drinkingcoffee:

ps: ppsst!~ chipper - semantics aside, all women are real women... but not all real women ar REAL good women!.... ;)

Most of my stash is black locust. That stuff splits like a dream but once in a while I will run into one tree in a stand that won't. Rarely several trees out of the same stand. I can see no difference between a round that will and the stubborn one that won't.
I love black locust:sweet:.
It does split well, but you better hit the exact same spot if it doesn't split the first time, or it doesn't.
And man those ones that don't split your right, they stink. I would just cut them into big cookies, I don't give away my locust:sweet:.

yo chipper - 'morning... maybe too much ice cream last nite, huh?... Woody dint say he had a 'real woman!" gosh, o'mighty... we can all see that! ;) what he said was that his fiancé, his wife to be... well, that she is a REAL good woman! wince:

Woody: I keep a small step ladder in there for the wife to be to use when she is stoking the stove. Yes my fiance likes helping me!! She's a REAL good woman!!

:drinkingcoffee:

ps: ppsst!~ chipper - semantics aside, all women are real women... but not all real women ar REAL good women!.... ;)
No, the problem was no ice cream last night, just root beer that was meant for some vanilla ice cream.
I hope now you can see where my mind was just a little shy of all there last night;).
I hear what your are saying though, and you are correct.
All semantics aside(besides that's a deeeeeeeeeep word for a wood butcher/word butcher like myself lol), although I inferred to her as being a "real woman", that inference was made not only by his statements that she was a "real good woman", but also by the picture of her with a saw in her hand cutting wood:surprised3:. I realize that all women are "real women"(semantics aside lol), but do you know which ones are real(Bruce Jenner, not so real). As to not make any assumptions(that you will understand what I'm thinking) I will change my wording and say I perceive her to be a "real woman" as she's doing whatever it takes to get the job done, which is the definition of real I was referring to. Here's an ironic/supporting quote from the only definition of real I looked up (can you believe they used that example and that I went right to it LOL),"• true or actual (what you were speaking of): his real name is James | this isn't my real reason for coming.• [ attrib. ] (of a person or thing) rightly so called; proper : he's my idea of a real man "(what I was speaking of).

All that being said, I think we are both right, once again:numberone:.
Except for you being wrong for giving me a hard time again, bad BL:dumb::lol:.
Have a great day BL.

Im out in macomb county in the southern part of the state. That would be sweet I'll take any help I can get.
That's cool VT.
I'm very familiar with that area as I have done hundreds of steel deliveries in the gratiot &26 mile area and then i usually went up to Imlay city from there.
I like this one, but it's a bit more than what I'm thinking you want to pay.
Do you have a tractor available for the pump if I find a 3-point splitter for you.
http://saginaw.craigslist.org/for/5510711492.html
How far are you willing to drive, or what areas do you go to daily/ monthly.
This is in the price range I normally pay for them.
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/grd/5566469452.html
@Woodyjiw this is right up the street from you.

No, the problem was no ice cream last night, just root beer that was meant for some vanilla ice cream.
I hope now you can see where my mind was just a little shy of all there last night;).
I hear what your are saying though, and you are correct.
All semantics aside(besides that's a deeeeeeeeeep word for a wood butcher/word butcher like myself lol), although I inferred to her as being a "real woman", that inference was made not only by his statements that she was a "real good woman", but also by the picture of her with a saw in her hand cutting wood:surprised3:. I realize that all women are "real women"(semantics aside lol), but do you know which ones are real(Bruce Jenner, not so real). As to not make any assumptions(that you will understand what I'm thinking) I will change my wording and say I perceive her to be a "real woman" as she's doing whatever it takes to get the job done, which is the definition of real I was referring to. Here's an ironic/supporting quote from the only definition of real I looked up (can you believe they used that example and that I went right to it LOL),"• true or actual (what you were speaking of): his real name is James | this isn't my real reason for coming.• [ attrib. ] (of a person or thing) rightly so called; proper : he's my idea of a real man "(what I was speaking of).

All that being said, I think we are both right, once again:numberone:.
Except for you being wrong for giving me a hard time again, bad BL:dumb::lol:.
Have a great day BL.

>Except for you being wrong for giving me a hard time again, bad BL

you too chipper, but no. no... not giving u a hard time. that is what they give up state in prison... I merely brought the subject up for the uninitiated. don't want anyone to question your words. words count, too you know... I see u used plenty... so a ' real GOOD word' reply...

but I understand what happened! I cant imagine root beer and no vanilla ice cream... root beer float, now that definitely is :numberone:

;)

I love black locust:sweet:.
It does split well, but you better hit the exact same spot if it doesn't split the first time, or it doesn't.
And man those ones that don't split your right, they stink. I would just cut them into big cookies, I don't give away my locust:sweet:.

sounds like a good wood. I have no exp with it. u cook with it, just firewood, its hard like oak or walnut... or just has lots of BTU's...?

sounds like a good wood. I have no exp with it. u cook with it, just firewood, its hard like oak or walnut... or just has lots of BTU's...?

It is hard and does not rot. Will be in the top four on firewood lists for amount of BTU. My 80 cord came thanks to the Locust Borer. All the BL out here is non native and was planted by farmers for post and other uses. Locust Borer came in and I proceeded to denude this county of every stick of dead BL I could get access to. Had one memorable 8 acre clear cut of huge BL, dthat took me two years of cutting...may have been three. It was around 20 years ago.

That's cool VT.
I'm very familiar with that area as I have done hundreds of steel deliveries in the gratiot &26 mile area and then i usually went up to Imlay city from there.
I like this one, but it's a bit more than what I'm thinking you want to pay.
Do you have a tractor available for the pump if I find a 3-point splitter for you.
http://saginaw.craigslist.org/for/5510711492.html
How far are you willing to drive, or what areas do you go to daily/ monthly.
This is in the price range I normally pay for them.
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/grd/5566469452.html
@Woodyjiw this is right up the street from you.
Im in Richmond my parents live at 26 and Gratiot my dad has a backhoe not sure if it has a 3 point or not. Sure wish I had a tractor. Funds for the splitter are not on the up and up that's why I was building one I have a motor and I can weld so I figured I could do one real cheap. Is there any saw gtg in Michigan that you know of?

Ok.
The best deal is to buy one complete, unless they don't offer what you need like a log lift or a pusher into a knife instead of a wedge on the ram.
It's just easy to get it all at once already predesigned and engineered for you. I don't mind thinking outside the box, but when the budget is tight it may be cheaper in the end to buy one. That one I sent in the link was only 550, probably take 500, hard to build a good one for that.
I do have someone I will contact though and see what he has laying around as I know he had a bunch of pumps and may have a beam or a tank. I will also ralk with him and see what he suggests, buy or build.

For sure I here you. Fortunately my dad owns a machine shop so alot of the metal is free to me. Outside of the ram, lovejoy, pump and whatnot I should be able to put one together. It's not the first on my list I have my axes and wedges its getting the extra cash to get everything but I'll get there.

For sure I here you. Fortunately my dad owns a machine shop so alot of the metal is free to me. Outside of the ram, lovejoy, pump and whatnot I should be able to put one together. It's not the first on my list I have my axes and wedges its getting the extra cash to get everything but I'll get there.
Well that changes things.
I will give my buddy a call, I know he has a few pumps laying around:yes:.
I set him up with a speeco(the co that makes huskee splitters, now county line ant tractor supply co) for his 3 point set up for 300 that was in great shape and came with the rack for storing it:D. The coolest thing about it was it was literally 3 min from his house:yes:. how come it never works that way for me LOL.
I'm sure if he has something it will be priced reasonable.
Do you know what the shaft size is on that motor, maybe he has a love joy that will fit also.
I see the rams for 50-150.

To keep things on topic. Here's the load I got yesterday and a few pictures of the splitting area this morning. Hope to finish this load up today as I have a lot of wood waiting for me.1463490598259.jpg

Well that changes things.
I will give my buddy a call, I know he has a few pumps laying around:yes:.
I set him up with a speeco(the co that makes huskee splitters, now county line ant tractor supply co) for his 3 point set up for 300 that was in great shape and came with the rack for storing it:D. The coolest thing about it was it was literally 3 min from his house:yes:. how come it never works that way for me LOL.
I'm sure if he has something it will be priced reasonable.
Do you know what the shaft size is on that motor, maybe he has a love joy that will fit also.
I see the rams for 50-150.

To keep things on topic. Here's the load I got yesterday and a few pictures of the splitting area this morning. Hope to finish this load up today as I have a lot of wood waiting for me.View attachment 503553
The next time I'm at the shop I'll take a measurement... That setup looks awesome I wish I had access to wood like that all I own is 2 acres here that isn't wooded I get wood from nearby areas when people are giving it away.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The next time I'm at the shop I'll take a measurement... That setup looks awesome I wish I had access to wood like that all I own is 2 acres here that isn't wooded I get wood from nearby areas when people are giving it away.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
My dad used to always say, "wish in one hand crap in the other, see which one fills up quicker":laugh:.
Basically get your butt moving:omg:.
Not a single piece of that wood came from my property, I only burn the dead standing black locust from my place.
That is why this is called the scrounge thread. It's all about what we have scrounged up. Some scrounge from there own property and others from anywhere they can, I'm in the second. I get wood from tree services, friends, side of the rd, craigslist, in the rd, property that has been logged, cleared land, farmers fields, golf courses, and tonight will be the construction site scrounge:dancing:.
Stay tuned for the pictures:picture:.
Stick around for a hot second and you to will have 4-5 saws in your vehicle at all times and a trailer on the back wherever you go, "just in case":lol:.
Gotta go the maple is calling me:chainsaw:.

My dad used to always say, "wish in one hand crap in the other, see which one fills up quicker":laugh:.
Basically get your butt moving:omg:.
Not a single piece of that wood came from my property, I only burn the dead standing black locust from my place.
That is why this is called the scrounge thread. It's all about what we have scrounged up. Some scrounge from there own property and others from anywhere they can, I'm in the second. I get wood from tree services, friends, side of the rd, craigslist, in the rd, property that has been logged, cleared land, farmers fields, golf courses, and tonight will be the construction site scrounge:dancing:.
Stay tuned for the pictures:picture:.
Stick around for a hot second and you to will have 4-5 saws in your vehicle at all times and a trailer on the back wherever you go, "just in case":lol:.
Gotta go the maple is calling me:chainsaw:.
LOL, thought I was in the scrounge thread when I said all that. Oh well, guess that's my one mistake for the week:laughing:.
Here's some pictures of the maple I just picked up anyway:D.20160517_190256.jpg20160517_210556.jpg

Yes, they took down at least two.
I just stopped and got the # off the job site trailer.
The guy said he'd call me back after checking on it and he never did.
I stopped in last week and talked with another guy and he said to take it.
I said I will:).
This is the second similar score in under a 1/4 mile, the only two job sites in the area.
I have gotten a lot of wood from this general local, probably more because I frequent it often than anything else.

Back