Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love your prep work Cambium. I sometimes forget to make enough kindling and it sucks trying to get a good fire going without it. I will start my kindling this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

I burned a bunch of that same cedar last year and it smells awesome. Even the asthmatic kid next door doesn't mind it too much.haha

Thanks. Yeah, I Wish there was more around. That and Cherry.
Couple more as I split for Kindling..

jEadkDrh.jpg

I did 3 buckets worth. Need much more as sometimes I light the stove twice a day even in winter. That's not the stove. That's my older smaller stove just sitting in the garage.

JwugLkLh.jpg
Why are you needing to light a fire so often? Away from home a lot or stove doesn't hold coals well????

Why are you needing to light a fire so often? Away from home a lot or stove doesn't hold coals well????

Daytime gets warm enough where I don't need it many times (the downside of living near the coast & having new walls, windows, insulation & low ceilings) so I don't keep it going during the day as it would get too stuffy inside.

Depending on the temps outside I don't fill up the stove at night so there's no hot coals in the morning. So typically I light it in the morning and again in the evening.

Unless of course the Polar Vortex is nearby then it's burning 24/7 with no kindling needed. :)

Lastly... the stove is steel so while it's great to start the fires (warms up fast), it cools down fast as well so you lose the window of opportunity to just throw a piece in there.

Not quite up to TomTrees standard, but here are our stockpiles for the upcoming season which begins this Saturday.

Split and ready to load:
IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_1803.JPG

Waiting to be bucked and split:
IMG_1804.JPG IMG_1805.JPG IMG_1808.JPG

Thanks to a lot of volunteers and donations of tree service companies to the Greene County Firewood Ministry,

Ron

Philbert,

Wood is given. Local food bank qualifies the recipients. And a few folks come and work for wood. I don't have the exact number but I believe over a 1000 loads were delivered last year.

From just two churches combining their firewood programs a few years ago, this ministry has really grown to include many participants and beneficiaries. Folks in need can stay warm, law violators can do required community service, trusted county inmates can get out of jail and jail food for a day, local governments get some disposal relief, youth get exposed to hard honest work, tree service companies and their customers get some relief through easy disposal of stems and large limbs, homeowners and others get some free labor, some of us get needed exercise as well as our saws, and all workers get some good home cooking from the various church folk that rotate preparation of breakfast and lunch each Saturday from October through April. Many businesses and civic organizations have assisted through donations or reduced charges or equipment. I couldn't begin to list them all; some are members here. Splitters, trailers, skid steers, porta-potties, chainsaws, repairs, chains, oil, mix, gloves, food, hydraulic hoses and fittings, you name it someone has given or lent it.

Ron

We are certainly blessed. I have met quite a few folks by volunteering there. Space is the remains of an old manufacturing plant that made fins for practice bombs. We used to cut out side the gates in the parking lot where the ground is full of metal filings - talk about something that will dull a chain fast - granite gravel and iron. Local businessman lets us use the property. Another furnishes the shipping container. Another a skid steer, etc. etc. Splitter duty has caused the most injuries; multiple finger tips lost. Chunking wood and cutting are about equal in ER visits. Ron

Philbert,

Wood is given. Local food bank qualifies the recipients. And a few folks come and work for wood. I don't have the exact number but I believe over a 1000 loads were delivered last year.

From just two churches combining their firewood programs a few years ago, this ministry has really grown to include many participants and beneficiaries. Folks in need can stay warm, law violators can do required community service, trusted county inmates can get out of jail and jail food for a day, local governments get some disposal relief, youth get exposed to hard honest work, tree service companies and their customers get some relief through easy disposal of stems and large limbs, homeowners and others get some free labor, some of us get needed exercise as well as our saws, and all workers get some good home cooking from the various church folk that rotate preparation of breakfast and lunch each Saturday from October through April. Many businesses and civic organizations have assisted through donations or reduced charges or equipment. I couldn't begin to list them all; some are members here. Splitters, trailers, skid steers, porta-potties, chainsaws, repairs, chains, oil, mix, gloves, food, hydraulic hoses and fittings, you name it someone has given or lent it.

Ron
That's awesome!

Wow, what a domino effect! There are a lot, a lot, of pieces to that beautiful puzzle. People rubbing shoulders with good people. It is a contagious energy.
Sometimes individually, I question if I am being used, or taken advantage of, and tend to be somewhat guardful, or less giving than I could be.
In the end there are givers and receivers. We all are, or have been both, haven't we? The hope is todays receivers will give back to someone down the line. What has happened here is a paradigm shift in many unexpected directions, and a step into the broader circle of each individuals 'community'. Wow indeed...
People will come together if the cause is right...

working on it, but it goes a lot slower looking over my shoulder every 2 minutes. There is a big male black bear out here that took my nephews deer from him the other night after he got one bow hunting. it stashed it in the swamp about 100 yards from where I am cutting.

Brian

Latest posts

Back