Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 Red Oaks and 1 White Oak. Oh and 1 casualty a 8" Shagbark.

View attachment 616828

Very nice! So there are a fair few flat bits that you've cut and shallow half moons there. What's the reason for that - is it just testing out saws or do you just prefer the way the wide flat bits burn?

Very nice! So there are a fair few flat bits that you've cut and shallow half moons there. What's the reason for that - is it just testing out saws or do you just prefer the way the wide flat bits burn?
I believe we may have the wrong idea on his pile. I too was wondering this so I looked closer at his picture. Using the back end of the trailer parked by the pile to the far right as a reference point it seems this pile is all large and unsplit pieces waiting for the splitting day. Those flat pieces we see are a result of cutting a round into liftable size chunks to haul home and split later. Nice pile of wood there

I cut them that way so they are easier to lift. This way I can roll the log once when noodling. If I quarter them too much flipping.
As Jakers mentioned this is a staging area for splitting, trees were close and plenty of room to get truck and splitter in.

I believe we may have the wrong idea on his pile. I too was wondering this so I looked closer at his picture. Using the back end of the trailer parked by the pile to the far right as a reference point it seems this pile is all large and unsplit pieces waiting for the splitting day. Those flat pieces we see are a result of cutting a round into liftable size chunks to haul home and split later. Nice pile of wood there

You are correct but the trailer is actually a Cushman Truckster, this is what I use to haul wood to staging area for splitting. I do all the splitting in the woods.

I'm about out, all the wood on the court is gone, maybe 5 cord down over the hill, and 1 cord in my personal wood shed, Joe

r4NnbOi.jpg

jh1dsPZ.jpg

Emptied the little woodshed by the house. When I got to the last row I realized that that row was 4 years old. The last few winters have been pretty mild, so I started burning wood that was set aside for customers. I figured why empty the shed when I was going to have to move any unsold customer wood in the spring. so, here's my little, 2 cord, shed ready for a sweep out. Look how fresh that oak looks for being 4 years old, Joe.
y75698n.jpg

3ZqO7AI.jpg

I'm standing in front of the boiler so my cutting area is right in front of my boiler so everything is pretty efficient and I don't have to handle wood too many times. I also have a 16' dump trailer that I hauled all these logs in with. Everything is off my own property, we own 40acres of timber. I probably have a life time of wood just in dead trees and land improvements. Ford 3000.jpg

Nice!

I don't have a specific area but this is what's on deck. Probably a cord of red oak from a couple cleanups last summer. Will be slicking an area of youngish elms soon.

They keep seeding into my neighbors beanfield. Then some blow downs and standing deads I can burn next year. Everything in this pile was cut by the Stihl 011 avt the little saw can get to it!

I was on my place in WV hunting. Was reading a book waiting for the sun to come up, the day before season opened. Looked up and scared the dickens out of me. A great big attack Angus was looking in my window. Turned out it escaped from a neighbors field several months ago and they gave up looking for it. I know where it's hanging out. There are cow pies all over my field, Joe.

I'm standing in front of the boiler so my cutting area is right in front of my boiler so everything is pretty efficient and I don't have to handle wood too many times. I also have a 16' dump trailer that I hauled all these logs in with. Everything is off my own property, we own 40acres of timber. I probably have a life time of wood just in dead trees and land improvements. View attachment 618501
How do you like the ATV on tracks, I'm looking at a UTV with tracks so I can do some bush work in the winter time or are they not worth the money?

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

How do you like the ATV on tracks, I'm looking at a UTV with tracks so I can do some bush work in the winter time or are they not worth the money?

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
Only Con is turning radius is not the best. I have a simple 570EPS, power steering, Polaris. With tracks on the turning radius is doubled from tires.
Pros: Everything else. You cannot stop the machine no matter how deep the snow is. I plowed last winter through 21" of heavy snow with out any issues. You don't have to
plow with momentum like you do with tires. You can just drop the plow and go. The tracks have an insane amount of traction. I even plow a ice skating rink out on the lake with it. For moving around the woods to collect that harder to get firewood it can't be beat. I can either skid logs out of buck them into rounds and stack them as high as I can in my utility trailer and the wheeler will drag it through the snow. I also use it to groom all our cross country ski trails and our volunteer Fire Department uses it for search and rescue when the snow too deep for their 6x6.

View attachment 619948 what you see on the landing is it for this "wood chucker" for this year! water is hard as ice ?? in spots with a half foot of fresh snow, winds blowing and colder then a frosted well digger's ass. so it's fishing time except for a few deliveries to keep me in minnows.... keep cutting while you can.... end of the days video wont load, but added another 5 cords of tree length to the left pile for a close total of 14 cords for two days skidding...

Back