Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not everyone has a splitter. Some people ‘noodle’ large pieces in the woods to make them easier to move/transport.

Philbert
That's for sure.... This week I noodled an oak as the rounds had an average calculated weight of about 400 lbs. Some were definitely heavier.... Not something I could carry to and lift into the truck!

Why not just stack the new pallets on the rotting old ones
Two main reasons. The old broken pallets would hold moisture. Another is that I would have to walk and drive over them in the wood lot. An uneven base for pallets with firewood would make getting forks in the pallets more difficult, and double stacking would be harder as well.
Where I have logs staged is different, and there is a bed of bark several inches thick. This actually is beneficial because I pick logs up with forks from the bottom of the pile. In this case it helps eliminate dirt from getting embedded in the bark on the log when rolling down the face of the log pile when the lower logs are removed.IMG_3657.jpg

View attachment 946496
I don’t know if you can tell from the picture but that’s easily a cord and a half. Split it by hand in about six hours. It’s Bradford pear, which I’ve never burned before but has good BTU value. Anyone here ever use this for firewood?
I started using it this year, so the verdict is still out. I, like you, saw the BTU value and thought I'd try it since I ran across some last year. Picked up a little more this year, too. Someone here recommended it. It's still heavy and the few pieces I've burned so far, burned slow. Maybe it needs two years to dry. Tough wood from what I remember and you split it by hand?

I started using it this year, so the verdict is still out. I, like you, saw the BTU value and thought I'd try it since I ran across some last year. Picked up a little more this year, too. Someone here recommended it. It's still heavy and the few pieces I've burned so far, burned slow. Maybe it needs two years to dry. Tough wood from what I remember and you split it by hand?
Yep. Used my maul, too tough for the fiskars splitting axe. I split about five cords a year and I’m used to splitting, but that pear, It flat wore me out! It wasn’t as difficult as sweet gum and not nearly as easy as the oak I’m used to, but it was dumped in my yard for free so I’m not complaining. Well, my back is complaining but it does that all the time anyway. I’m interested to see how the wood does when I burn it next year.

I cut the first standing dead Red Oak of the season yesterday, and sectioned it into 10-12' sections. Today I moved 6 sections to a more convenient place to begin processing for next year. My little JD and grapple was probably over-loaded with this section:

By the time I got toward the top of the tree, I had to back-drag a couple sections to make them easier to pick up to move:

Then I bucked up the tree, but stopped before starting any splitting for next year.

20211208_133251.jpg

Thanks guys for watching. Hope everyone has a safe season.

I cut the first standing dead Red Oak of the season yesterday, and sectioned it into 10-12' sections. Today I moved 6 sections to a more convenient place to begin processing for next year. My little JD and grapple was probably over-loaded with this section:

By the time I got toward the top of the tree, I had to back-drag a couple sections to make them easier to pick up to move:

Then I bucked up the tree, but stopped before starting any splitting for next year.

View attachment 947233

Thanks guys for watching. Hope everyone has a safe season.

That oak looks nice and dry.

Love it, Jere39.
3" of fresh snow today off Lake Michigan.
Wood stove burning.
Phone calls for firewood. Ha!
Supposed to hit high forties by the weekend.
For now it's all very nice.
Pallets are starting to freeze to the ground. When that happens in a few more weeks the deliveries will be done.
I need to find some cant from a sawyer to put down next year.

This is my gym where I split the wood... ;) It is then moved to another geographic location under a deck with Deck Gutter installed to keep it dry. I've got about 3 cords left under the deck and figure there is about 2 cords here. That will last through at least next season for social fires in the fireplace. The big chucks are from a large oak I noodled... The biggest pieces are almost all split and now I'm working on the smaller and odd shaped chunks. The overall average weight of a chunk was about 100 lbs. No way could I have moved the complete rounds myself by hand!

I am using a Bison splitting axe and an 8 lb sledge with a steel wedge for the gnarly pieces. There are lots of gnarly pieces... knots and forks!

FirewoodChunks.jpgFirewoodSplit.jpg

This is my gym where I split the wood... ;) It is then moved to another geographic location under a deck with Deck Gutter installed to keep it dry. I've got about 3 cords left under the deck and figure there is about 2 cords here. That will last through at least next season for social fires in the fireplace. The big chucks are from a large oak I noodled... The biggest pieces are almost all split and now I'm working on the smaller and odd shaped chunks. The overall average weight of a chunk was about 100 lbs. No way could I have moved the complete rounds myself by hand!

I am using a Bison splitting axe and an 8 lb sledge with a steel wedge for the gnarly pieces. There are lots of gnarly pieces... knots and forks!

View attachment 947250View attachment 947251
i end up noodling the tough knotty bits rather than busting a nut trying to split them. good excuse to use the saws more lol

c0e83502dfe57b2723ef187abe6020a2.jpg

Noodling up all the stuff my 8lb maul bounces off.

296614108c085e725899186e7cb4fab2.jpg

Stored under cover.

892bcbca0c65c5c0c840b41ae32c6627.jpg

All split by hand [emoji1377]

c7353c69ef2e75b7af23e4194f3a3cb0.jpg

Rotate the stillages in front of the air compressor. 33c hot air coming out 24/7 drys out the timber quickly [emoji1360]

Back