Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't process Hickory, in my experience it tears apart rather than splits, and I just don't get enough so I usually offer what I get, which came down in a storm, to a friend who has a hydro splitter and an OWB and loves it. But, evidently not enough to hustle over here and get this small load that is now blocking access to my next stack of Oak. So, this morning after finishing up sawing some oak, I had about a quarter tank in the 6100 and rather than put it away "wet" I walked down to this hickory and did some noodling. Accomplished a couple things:

• Cleared enough to get the tractor and cart through this area
  • Made a little hickory for my test burning
  • Gave me a center cut for MM readings
  • Covered some of the dirt work area here for keeping my shoes out of the mud for at least a morning.
IMG_1569.jpg

Still enough hickory for my buddy, and a couple random species of ugly chunks I won't swing the Fiskars through.

I don't process Hickory, in my experience it tears apart rather than splits, and I just don't get enough so I usually offer what I get, which came down in a storm, to a friend who has a hydro splitter and an OWB and loves it. But, evidently not enough to hustle over here and get this small load that is now blocking access to my next stack of Oak. So, this morning after finishing up sawing some oak, I had about a quarter tank in the 6100 and rather than put it away "wet" I walked down to this hickory and did some noodling. Accomplished a couple things:

• Cleared enough to get the tractor and cart through this area
  • Made a little hickory for my test burning
  • Gave me a center cut for MM readings
  • Covered some of the dirt work area here for keeping my shoes out of the mud for at least a morning.
View attachment 1020210

Still enough hickory for my buddy, and a couple random species of ugly chunks I won't swing the Fiskars through.
Noodles are great for starting fires too.

Well after a bad health incident (Heart went bad), a few years of pity party in alcoholism and losing most of everything, I am back. Here are the current stats.
2.5 years sober.
Heart pumping at 30%
Got divorced after 26 years.
Gave everything to ex-wife
Got Remarried.
Got a house on a farm.
My 2 saws that I own now are a
Stihl 021 that I bought 11 years ago yesterday.
Stihl 031 that my wifes father gave me.
I have access to:
Stihl 018
Stihl 029
Stihl 044 magmum (I think)

My splitter goes on the back of the Ford TW-25 Tractor.
after selling my other splitter I bought another one that was brand new but had a few problems. My son and I fixed it and gave it to the ex wife.

This is my first real cutting since 2017. I AM WORN OUT.
I still have 2 Hickories that are 18" at the base to cut up and split and a red oak that is about 24"at the base.

OH and i have lost 55 pounds since I put the plug in the jug.

Attachments

• 68625104337__B74620B3-A1CE-481D-9C1F-C8F72C915A32.jpg
    68625104337__B74620B3-A1CE-481D-9C1F-C8F72C915A32.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3876.jpg
    IMG_3876.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3879.jpg
    IMG_3879.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Well after a bad health incident (Heart went bad), a few years of pity party in alcoholism and losing most of everything, I am back. Here are the current stats.
2.5 years sober.
Heart pumping at 30%
Got Remarried.
Got a house on a farm.
I have access to:
Stihl 018
Stihl 029

after selling my other splitter I bought another one that was brand new but had a few problems. My son and I fixed it and gave it to the ex wife.

I still have 2 Hickories that are 18" at the base to cut up and split and a red oak that is about 24"at the base.

Wow, that's quite a journey. Glad you're coming out the other side.

My old man has the same 031AV which he bought new when I was but a little tacker. It still chugs along well, not super fast (or light) but good torque.

Wow, that's quite a journey. Glad you're coming out the other side.

My old man has the same 031AV which he bought new when I was but a little tacker. It still chugs along well, not super fast (or light) but good torque.
My dad has one as well that I want to get back running

With coal at near $400 and fuel oil at $4.50 a gallon, looks like I'm back in the wood business. Bought a load from my neighbor since I only had 3 cords stockpiled. I have 20 acres of blowdowns to get while I use this up. Talked to the neighbor and he said if I had logs stacked, he would haul for me at $100 a load. It's 4.5 miles from the blowdowns to my house. Seems like a quick way to get the wood home.20221012_162819_HDR.jpg20221012_164535_HDR.jpg

2.5 years sober.
Heart pumping at 30%
Got Remarried.
Got a house on a farm.
I have access to:
Stihl 018
Stihl 029

Congrats on making it through to the other side.
You're a better man for the effort.

wood pile in a bucket! status: avail for immediate use

one from the good ol... Proud To Scrounge Department:

'scrounge of the day!' it first showed up as windfall... quite well seasoned!, i mite add. big enuff to be a WMr! or close. that was about 2 months ago. saw it daily side of road end of block on daily bike rides. one day big truck rolled over it and parked. then it wa bit more than wood mash!. still, it seemed to call to me. i ignored the impulse... then one day kinda got interested. couple beers down and a few days later... decided to ck it out while out on a pups walk. had gloves. no telling what had sniffed it! pawes thru the 'dust. hmm, some nice fire starters! so pushed them aside for another day. figured could be a good bucket full of firewood starters. so couple days ago stopped and with bucket... filled 'er up! home with it i went. then yesterday cleaned out mr Brutus, and got ready for a nice campfire! used about 1/3 of the bucket full. so, for less than about 2 mins scrounging... 3 campfire starter kits... and that went well! ~
P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPGP1010003.JPGP1010004.JPGP1010005.JPG

About 12 hours total splitting with my splitter. Pile is approx 12' high x 25' diameter circle and approx 15' up the slope. 16" long splits, mostly ash but there is some maple, walnut and a couple of pieces of Ironwood. These were all saw logs that I finally decided that I was never going to get time to saw so I cut them into firewood. I was surprised how punkie some of the rounds were.

Attachments

• 20221014_143945.jpg
    20221014_143945.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20221016_170900.jpg
    20221016_170900.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221016_170813.jpg
    20221016_170813.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221014_172313.jpg
    20221014_172313.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
Splitting away the punky stuff is part of our quality control. The home heating firewood we sell is the best parts of the tree. What you see on the ground is what was sorted from 1/2 a cord of firewood. The 32 cu ft crate (1/4 cord) beside Gina is more of that lower quality wood, we call it campfire grade (C-grade). When dry, it starts quick and throws a decent flame. Good for the workshop, campfire, or use it for starting your home fire. C-grade currently sells for $59 a crate.
20221022_094134-firewwood-yard-eastonmade-gina.jpg20221022_083026-firewood-yard.jpg20221022_083037-firewood-yard.jpg

Latest posts

Back