Pot Belly stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, my pops got a little pot belly stove the neighbor gave him and I conned him into letting me use it in my place for the time we stay in it. My place is only like 200-300sq. ft. and I think it would be perfect for it.

Only problem is, the exhaust port on the stove is an rectangular oval shape. It does not have any adapters or anything of the sort that reduce it to fit stove pipe.

What 'am I missing here? I have not been able to find anything on the net and have not been out yet to see if any stores carry anything..

Would double wall pipe be adequate enough for the stove?

EDIT: If it helps you guys better, this is what the stove looks like:
http://pigleystreasures.net/store/images/P8220021.JPG

Last edited:
Just use six inch black pipe and oval it right onto stove connection.have seen several in my area used that way .use the black pie ,,then go into your double wall

Just make sure to put thr seam of the stove pipe in the back. The little holes in the collar are for sheet metal screws to secure the pipe. A little stove cement will plug any leaks around the connection.

Just use six inch black pipe and oval it right onto stove connection.have seen several in my area used that way .use the black pie ,,then go into your double wall

Yup. I got the same kind of set-up on my shop stove. It might not fit on perfectly, but screw it on, cement it, and you'll be good to go.

Not to discourage you from free stuff, but I guarentee u will hate that thing within a month of using it.
I have a front room about 200SQft and have one like the picture Sears and roebuck model could be an antique dunno.

What I do know is yes you need to hand massage a round pipe into an oval I have seen in the HVAC Aisle of lowes some galvanized that will fit but I doubt its good for wood burning.

I'm no expert but have used this stove and I firmly believe they were meant for coal only.

I literally spent hours cutting small pieces of wood with a chop saw and fence posts to fill a box that wood burn in a night if you let it. Also the burntime on these stoves are less then an hour and half. Way to many cracks to let air in and thats with those dampers closed that you can see on the front of it.

I ended up getting a super cheap Vogelzang box wood stove instead 189$ at lowes. Not much better as far as a stove goes but at least i can throw 20In logs in and get closer to 3hrs-4hrs burntime.

good luck with your score and tell us what you think of it once you get it fired up.

I gotta agree with Craz z, I think they are intended for coal. I have an even smaller one with a 4" pipe connection, and it was intended for coal. I used it with coal for a season or two on a sunporch, and even with coal it would not burn for all that long. I think these are referred to generically as jack stoves or parlor stoves and were intended for quick heat in a local area when occupied. They probably just ran the flue pipe any old place they could vent it.

I used to start mine by taking a scoop of hot coals out of the wood stove and pouring it into it, then pouring the coal on top. Instant start up every time.

Whatever you do...do "NOT" use galvanized pipe...black pipe is preferred then attach to your double wall insulated. Galvanized pipe will give you zink oxide poisoning.

What is that hole size????
Duravent has a product....round to oval...the 6" says...4 3/4" x7 3/4" oval to round of OD 6 1/2"

Last edited:
Whatever you do...do "NOT" use galvanized pipe...black pipe is preferred then attach to your double wall insulated. Galvanized pipe will give you zink oxide poisoning

I figured as much it just popped in my head that it was the only thing that resemebeled the oval shape. :dizzy:

BTW I did not use galvanized in my application found some black pipe I cut and massaged into the funky oval hole.

Sorry for mentioning it i've cut galvanized with a torch and it is not something to mess around with.

Most 'old' potbelly stoves used an oval. Like said just oval the pipe to fit.

I used a small potbelly years ago in a small house and it heated fine, a flue damper is a must though. I did get very tired of cutting short wood for it and moved on to a box stove. A good American made box stove that is...

From what I was told, they were used to heat the train depots in Germany. The stove says made in Germany as well...

I find that what I will do if need be is just pop off the top and stick the wood in that way. May get a little smoke, but that's okay with me.

I have a natural gas wall heater in the place right now, and that will supplement our heat if it gets too cold in the night or when we are gone. I would have to say that the cast iron will hold that heat in well, and especially since I have a ceiling fan in the area I want to put it in.

I suppose if it really gets on my nerves, I will get something else. But hey, I got to use it for free, and I'm gonna see what I can do.

I just hope the pipe won't be too spendy...

BTW, what size of pipe can I do it with? No less than 6"?

Whatever you do...do "NOT" use galvanized pipe...black pipe is preferred then attach to your double wall insulated. Galvanized pipe will give you zink oxide poisoning.

Not to mention that it won't last very long at all.

I just hope the pipe won't be too spendy...
BTW, what size of pipe can I do it with? No less than 6"?

It's pretty small, I'd say you can get away with 4", although there are probably some specifics available somewhere. Black pipe shouldn't be all that expensive. The wall thimble might be a bit pricey, but it's worth it for what it does. It's the double or triple wall stainless stuff that's expensive.

Well, I was calling around today, and got to talking to a knowledgeable lady at a local store. She carries the oval to round adapter for 6" pipe for $8. Its single wall. I was shocked at how cheap that was.

She was helping me get a brainstorm going on how to approach doing the pipe. So far its going to be a bit spendy...

I have to get her exact measurements for how much I need but she was thinking of doing 3-4' of single from the top of the stove then do a 90 elbow out the wall. Do a wall thimble and an adaptor from single wall to double wall. Then it goes to a clean-out Tee and up vertically about 4-6'. Then terminate it with a cap.

She was say that the metalbestos double wall was like $90-100 for a 3' run!

Wow! The tee was like $90 the thimble was like $100, the cap was like $30-40. Ohhh wee!

It almost makes me not wanna do a pot belly stove and just cough up some money for a stove that I will keep for the long run...

Not to mention that if I switch, I will have all this 6" pipe and can't use it.

I eventually want to end up with a blaze king and I think they are 10"...

It almost makes me not wanna do a pot belly stove and just cough up some money for a stove that I will keep for the long run...

Not to mention that if I switch, I will have all this 6" pipe and can't use it.

I eventually want to end up with a blaze king and I think they are 10"...

Most stoves these days use 6" pipe. The really large ones used 8".

Yep, so trying to do the ol' pot belly thing for some heat is not gonna work. Its gonna run me about $500 for a full 6" stove pipe setup. Something that I just cannot justify for this pot belly. I would have to use $120 worth of natural gas for the next 4 months of winter to break even on it.

Now, if I can just get my hands on one of these two:

Blaze King

Blaze King Stove

I would prefer that pre-epa stove myself... :msp_thumbup:

Hey, neat

Why do you need all that expensive stove pipe? Just going to a hole in the wall?

Besides that, for your small place, It'll work. And don't sweat the pipe, whenever you go to upgrade, sell the pipe with the stove.

Ya, meant for coal, will still burn wood. yes, you'll have to cut small, so what, cutting wood is fun and having a way to heat with wood beats wishful thinking! You can cook on that thing,too.

Heck, I have used a home made stove before that was not near as nice as that one, it beat freezing all ta heck!

go to the pro wood guys and look for knots and oddball chunks that will *just* fit in there. Get them cheap or free. Noodle to size, more fun! Drop them in on top of hot coals..it'll work. Add in some regular short cut stuff split good, you are good to go until whenever you get a larger place and need a larger heater. the short and split is for when you are there to feed it, drop the knots in at night. Might have to get up one time to reload..pfftt..I've been doing that for years anyway..and you will too once ya get older..hahahahaha!

That's a fancy antique, someone will buy it from you when it needs to be sold. Or who knows, you might luck out and get a little shop, stick it in there.

No, a lady here locally at a farm and feed store helped me pick out what I needed. It was single wall until I got to the thimble, then went to double wall and up above the eave of the roof about 3 feet.

The pot belly stove is my fathers and he gave me permission to use it until I was to leave this house I'm in. I have no say or control about the fate of the stove. I dunno how much of a return I could get on the stove pipe. I would rather not risk it either.

If either of those blaze kings in my previous post has 6" pipe, I would be jumping all over it. Although, I cannot find out anywhere about the spec on them...

I had the wood loading problem all figured out. I was going to remove the lid on the top and load it that way. I was hoping that there would have been enough draft to keep the smoke up the pipe and not enter the house too much...

Although, I appreciate your positive attitude about it. Lol, sounds like you were trying to encourage me.

I can tell you must be an older chap, as it seems all the older people think that all us youngin's will get what we have always dreamed of.. hahaha.

The lady who was helping me with the pipe was older and she was conversing with another employee how I was talking about doing this and then getting the "stove of my dreams". Then she made another comment on how I will need a house of my dreams to put it in as well, of course. I kinda scoffed that idea. Economy needs a good round of CPR and Defibbing first...

Older chaps

No, a lady here locally at a farm and feed store helped me pick out what I needed. It was single wall until I got to the thimble, then went to double wall and up above the eave of the roof about 3 feet.

The pot belly stove is my fathers and he gave me permission to use it until I was to leave this house I'm in. I have no say or control about the fate of the stove. I dunno how much of a return I could get on the stove pipe. I would rather not risk it either.

If either of those blaze kings in my previous post has 6" pipe, I would be jumping all over it. Although, I cannot find out anywhere about the spec on them...

I had the wood loading problem all figured out. I was going to remove the lid on the top and load it that way. I was hoping that there would have been enough draft to keep the smoke up the pipe and not enter the house too much...

Although, I appreciate your positive attitude about it. Lol, sounds like you were trying to encourage me.

I can tell you must be an older chap, as it seems all the older people think that all us youngin's will get what we have always dreamed of.. hahaha.

The lady who was helping me with the pipe was older and she was conversing with another employee how I was talking about doing this and then getting the "stove of my dreams". Then she made another comment on how I will need a house of my dreams to put it in as well, of course. I kinda scoffed that idea. Economy needs a good round of CPR and Defibbing first...

there's some "older chaps" from my generation who a few times hit the nail on the head..you maybe heard of them...old guys now..wrinkles....ha!

"no you can't always get what you want....and if you try some time...you find you get what you neeeeed"

;)

I know what I would do…

First, I don’t believe you’ll find many stoves using a 10” pipe… it’ll be 8” for the bigger/better stoves, and 6” for most others. I’d run the 8” double-wall from the roof-top on down and through the wall, then use a reducer and go 6” single wall to the stove. When, and if you up-grade, the expense to replace the 6” single-wall with 8” would be minimal. Be sure and install a manual flue damper, you’re probably gonna’ need it to control that old pot-belly, and if’n ya’ don’t need it just leave it open… they don’t cost squat and are good insurance.

Back