Poulan 2250 repair.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturelover

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Sorry for the wrong number, too many twos....

Worst part, I put up a picture with the model number right there staring at me.... :D

Course with the storms that blew through here recently, there is much cleanup to be done throughout the region.

Buddy has a Poulan 2550 that isn't run much, guess he tried to get it going a while back and it was leaking some gas.

So it made its way to me, with pieces of fuel line laying around inside everywhere... :msp_biggrin:

Looked down the plug hole to see if everything was okay, cylinder looked fine, so broke out some Tygon....

671ff4b3.jpg

Went to put the carb adjustment screw boot back on, and the limiters fell out of it. Didn't even think to look to see if they were in there, and I don't recall which color goes to which side (thinking blue is idle?) or know how to set them correctly. The adjustment screws have the springs behind them, but will they wander around without the limiters on there?

cc4fe10d.jpg

Here it is back together after a good cleaning.

613af9d5.jpg

Fired right up, checked the tune and its good, but may richen it just a hair. Chain needs a going over, and will recommend a new sprocket in the works for future uses as this one is a little grooved out. But for now, will have to sharpen the chain in the morning and see about the limiters.

Last edited:
I got my 2550 at a garage sale for $10.00 case and all. Currently I have a 14" PowerSharp on it. It does well cutting 6" and under. After 6" I find a bit bigger saw. I did a muffler mod on it. I put a hole right in the front where the small depression is. It's even got AV!

Give it a muffler mod, it's easy on that saw. You can open up the outlet louvers in their present location and drill out the baffle - the mod will be invisible.

I'm curious if it's really 40cc or 42cc? It should list the actual displacement on the EPA tag. My Craftsman is virtually identical, but for being gray and 42cc, and I like it quite a bit.

Your plumbing looks cool, primer bulb sucks fuel through the carb, then back to the tank. Intake on the carb is throttle side, that line goes to the fuel filter, the other carb line to the suck side of the valve.

Adjustment, you might be surprised on those and hit two turns or better out for the H screw, just play with it and tune it by ear in the wood.

I don't think you need those limiters put back at all, the screws have springs.

Get that little saw tuned right and the chain sharpened correctly and you will be surprised how competent it is.
ModifiedMark ported and muff modded one and he REGULARLY kicks a$$ and takes names with it.

Mike

Your plumbing looks cool, primer bulb sucks fuel through the carb, then back to the tank. Intake on the carb is throttle side, that line goes to the fuel filter, the other carb line to the suck side of the valve.

Adjustment, you might be surprised on those and hit two turns or better out for the H screw, just play with it and tune it by ear in the wood.

I don't think you need those limiters put back at all, the screws have springs.

Baah, the lines are on backwards aren't they? :msp_rolleyes: :msp_unsure:

Thanks Zogger for pointing that out, much appreciated. :clap: :)

Guess it was sucking through the outlet instead of the filter. I even looked at the Walbro site to check and still put them on backwards I see.

Some days, one is just better off to stay in bed. :msp_wink:

Though will say even that was challenging without power and 100 degree weather. :(

I was looking for the cc's too, WHW. Unfortunately, the sticker under the switch is worn off and I can't tell what size it is. Will look a little closer to see though. It does have the spring anti-vibe, but no chain brake, though the anti-vibe is pretty soft, doesn't take much to get it to move around. Seems like a good little saw though, for what it was made for.

Don't know how old it is, I remember him buying it several years ago though. Maybe I can find a date on it somewhere too.

The 18" bar is a little too much for this saw it seems in stock form, but it does have the narrow style safety chain on it. It pulled decent noodling through some oak I had, but as say, it needs a sharpening too.

If the muff mod is that easy, might see if he would want to go that route to give it a little more oomph, course I think he was kinda hoping it wouldn't be repairable as he would have an excuse to go buy him a Stihl... :msp_w00t:

ETA: K folks, think me do need to take long nap. Went to look and I had it plumbed correctly, guess I figured it out after I had taken the picture.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back