Poulan 260 dies when hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Fraser

Reaction score
I just recently bought a Poulan 260 (used). I used it for about a week, it ran great, but now after starting and using it for about 2-3 minutes, it loses power and dies, and I cant restart it. I replaced the fuel lines as this seems to be an issue with these saws. The fuel is new. The gas cap seems to have a blocked vent however the saw would not restart after I took the fuel cap off and then put it back on(to relieve pressure I think). I also removed and cleaned the carburetor and blew out all carb jets. Spark plug looks fine. Only other thing is that after it dies I try and go through starting procedure, including use of primer bulb. The primer bulb does not fill with fuel. Any help is appreciated.

First, remove the muffler and take a peek at the piston.
If that looks good, then go through the carb again, this time remove the needle/spring/lever and blow out the passage under the needle, then hold it
up to a light to verfy that the passage is clear.
Reassemble, then try it.

I use these saws a lot, both stock and modified. The fuel lines are often crap, but generally they run well other wise - dying while running is not typical. The hard start up and ineffective purge bulb could be a vapor lock issue if you left it off while hot for a few minutes, but given the other symptoms I kinda doubt it.

My bet would be a bad check valve in the carb, especially if it's a ZAMA. Also, blowing out a carb with compressed air is not a good idea, and it's quite possible to damage the check valve that way.

I just pulled the plug to check the spark. Spark seems really weak. Shouldn't it be easy to see the spark, even in light? is coil issue common or unlikely? thanks again for all the responses so far.

It is sure easier to assess spark in semi-darkness to darkness. Esp if one hand holds plug on fins, one hand pulls rope and a foot tries to hold saw steady. Try squirting plug with carb cleaner and run some sand paper between electrodes. You can check spark with a known good plug. I just haven't seen that many bad plugs that look good physically.

Latest posts

Back