Poulan 3400 crank seals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Rebuilding one of my 3400's and am having problem with one crank seal. Installed new seal but it seemed to go in too easy. Was able to seat it by hand and I had assumed I'd need to set it with a socket. As expected air leaks out like crazy at the seal. Even put a little permatex around it before installation. I've got some new seals coming but want to know what the possible issues are before I blow through any more new seals. I did split the case and after refitting halves, seal seemed to stay in position, though like I stated earlier it seems very loose.

thats the correct #, tell them to check there parts,they may have sent the wrong ones. shoud be tight.

That's what I thought, it should be a tight fit! Will call them. However the new one looks very similar to the old one, diameter wise. Is it possible the crank case opening has enlarged? Wouldn't think so but I'm just disappointed after all my work to have accomplshed nothing.

That's what I thought, it should be a tight fit! Will call them. However the new one looks very similar to the old one, diameter wise. Is it possible the crank case opening has enlarged? Wouldn't think so but I'm just disappointed after all my work to have accomplshed nothing.

the case opening wouldn't change, they may have gotten an undersized bunch of seals.

the case opening wouldn't change, they may have gotten an undersized bunch of seals.

Well new supply of seals arrived from two differant sources and they are all the same and install w/o a socket or tool. Fit by hand. Doesn't seem tight enough to prevent an air leak unless source of leak is internal i.e.crank bearings. Old bearings looked good and there is no play. So I'm confused. Installed with a little permatex so I'll do pressure check tomorrow and hope.

Well new supply of seals arrived from two differant sources and they are all the same and install w/o a socket or tool. Fit by hand. Doesn't seem tight enough to prevent an air leak unless source of leak is internal i.e.crank bearings. Old bearings looked good and there is no play. So I'm confused. Installed with a little permatex so I'll do pressure check tomorrow and hope.

just reread your 1st post and see you mention having trouble with one side, did you replace both sides and only one wasn't tight?

I have a set of good used 3400 cases and a crank assembly also. If it should come to it they are yours for the shipping.....Bob

Thanks. I've got several myself. Think I may have to swap halves from one of my other saws. The seals just seem a mite small on the flywhhel side and no matter what I do it still leaks. Haven't touched the clutch side seal. I'll keep your offer in mind however.

Somethings wrong if you can push the seal in by hand.

Without seeing it I can't say what's wrong, but the seal has to be tight enough in the case to have to drive it in.

That's what I thought. I have another spilt 3400 and may try to see how seals fit in it. At $4.25 per seal I don't want to waste too many. Thanks. I may also measure ID of case to see if both saws are differant. If so I may end up with a parts saw sans flywheel side half.

I have a set of good used 3400 cases and a crank assembly also. If it should come to it they are yours for the shipping.....Bob

I'm looking for a fuel tank for a 3400, mine has a split in it. Looked around and all I can find is that it is discontinued. Do you still have the fuel tank?
Let me know.

Thanks,
Jason

That's what I thought. I have another spilt 3400 and may try to see how seals fit in it. At $4.25 per seal I don't want to waste too many. Thanks. I may also measure ID of case to see if both saws are differant. If so I may end up with a parts saw sans flywheel side half.

its very very very possible that ari partsmart has the wrong part #s its been known to happen before on many brands cause a typo can happen if you want to call poulan and tell them to look in there archives not partsmart but there own archives and get the part # to the correct seal tell them the part # that is showing on the partsmart parts list is the wrong part #

if you want me to i can call them tommorrow and get to the bottom of this issue i know what strings to pull to find a answer

and i believe in customer service i know i am one of them vendors you ordered from and i thank you for it i will find out what the correct part # is and will if i have them send you out 1 just to see if it works the way they looked looked like china made seals in a way could be they are making that and the rings wrong

cause i know the 3400 rings are also having the same exact problem too big of a ring

so lets see what happens

its possible part smart has the wrong parts on the websites etc.

calvin

its very very very possible that ari partsmart has the wrong part #s its been known to happen before on many brands cause a typo can happen if you want to call poulan and tell them to look in there archives not partsmart but there own archives and get the part # to the correct seal tell them the part # that is showing on the partsmart parts list is the wrong part #

if you want me to i can call them tommorrow and get to the bottom of this issue i know what strings to pull to find a answer

and i believe in customer service i know i am one of them vendors you ordered from and i thank you for it i will find out what the correct part # is and will if i have them send you out 1 just to see if it works the way they looked looked like china made seals in a way could be they are making that and the rings wrong

cause i know the 3400 rings are also having the same exact problem too big of a ring

so lets see what happens

its possible part smart has the wrong parts on the websites etc.

calvin

Thanks Calvin. Be interested to hear what you find out. Also sent an email to your online store. Be interested in your results

Thanks Calvin. Be interested to hear what you find out. Also sent an email to your online store. Be interested in your results

I checked my old microfiche cards and the seal #'s you have are correct. these replacable seals may be slightly undersized. don't think the case hub has changed.

Latest posts

Back