Poulan 655BP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Hoss, if you are having trouble with the rings I have a set of thin rings (but I think JJ can set you up). I just have the cylinder and not sure what compression they would hold, but if you need them let me know.

The saw is supposed to run good and might have good comp already, but you know how THAT can go.:cry:

I know the compression on mine is way up there.
When I first tried to start it it bit back and split my hand wide open.

Set it on the shelf for awhile then came back and found the compression release wasn't working right.

I make sure the compression release hasn't popped out when I start it and haven't had any problems since.

I guess the saw just wanted to get my attention the first time :)

I'll take ya' up on the 20", just let me know how much.

I may have to take ride up your way one day to meet you and Thall.

I'm only about an hour away.

I know the compression on mine is way up there.
When I first tried to start it it bit back and split my hand wide open.

Set it on the shelf for awhile then came back and found the compression release wasn't working right.

I make sure the compression release hasn't popped out when I start it and haven't had any problems since.

I guess the saw just wanted to get my attention the first time :)

I'll take ya' up on the 20", just let me know how much.

I may have to take ride up your way one day to meet you and Thall.

I'm only about an hour away.

Yessir, I'll second this experience. I'm no where as strong as I was in my younger days, but still wouldn't classify myself as a wus either, but that 655 without the decomp is something you don't want to experience.

Dan

655bp

The 655BP is a great 6 cube saw. I sold my 655BP to Robert Andrews who owns the Preditor. Parts are still available. It needs to be modified somewhat to make it real competitive along with a good racing chain. I sold it only because I am selling all my racing equipment.

Art Martin

The 655BP is a great 6 cube saw. I sold my 655BP to Robert Andrews who owns the Preditor. Parts are still available. It needs to be modified somewhat to make it real competitive along with a good racing chain. I sold it only because I am selling all my racing equipment.

Art Martin

Thanks for the input Art. I've been wanting one of these for a while now and missed on 3 or 4 on ebay, so I am pretty excited. I have the poulan pro 405 wich I assume is a smaller version of this saw and it is quite a saw for 60cc.

So is the P62, P65 and 655BP pretty much the same saw?

If so who actually made them?

Just spoke with the seller. He is going to drive the saw out here on saturday 2/7/09. Getting excited.:popcorn:

Art Martin

It is great to see you posting again Art. You don't post very often but when you do its a good one. You have had some very interesting posts in the past. Have you ever had much contact with Ron Hartill over the years? Back in 1988 I competed against Ron at Sayward, Vancouver Island and Ron cleaned up with his 655.:cheers:

Last edited:
That might make sense. I have two P-62/655 cylinders here, one has boost ports and the other doesn't.

Did the boost ports make that much difference?

Any chance of some pictures showing the 2 cylinders? Thanks Steve

I think the boost ports started on the Pioneer/Partner P65 and carried on until the end of production. The 655BP stickers came last. My 655 has boost ports but no BP stickers.

They do make a difference. The 655 outcuts my P62 by a bit and doesn't seem to bog as much, and that's with a goverened carb. I'd say it increases torque.

Well I got the saw today and I was very impressed. Paint was about 95%. All that dirt in the ebay pics was just dust from sitting. The seller brought it to my house and it started right after 1 pull on choke and one additional pull. What a neat looking saw. I took it over to Tommy's shop today and he got some pics that he will be posting later. After I sharpened it, Tommy took it out to the 28" log he has at the lot and gave it a run. Both of us were impressed. Tommy said that it was one of the fastest saws he has ever run. Compression was 150psi even after sitting so I don't think I need rings, but I will need a 28" bar to fit and a full wrap handle bar. Thanks to all you guys for all the good info and I will try to get a video up soon.

Back