Poulan Chain Woes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkfeather

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone know if my chain on my Poulan Pro model 260 won't hold an edge, what the reason may be. Could it have lost its temper over the years or maybe the oiler isn't working. How do I check the oiler anyways? Should I just by a new bar and chain combo and try that?? HELP!!!

Probably incorrectly sharpened once or twice,,maybe got too dull once and overheated the cutters? Who knows.

New chain will tell the tale.

Edge, oiler Poulan

HF, First off I would not go and spend the $$$ for a new B/C until you diagnose the oiler issue.It may not be oiling simply because the oil passage on the bar may be clogged with saw dust.A through cleaning may alieve this anomaly.If the bar and chain are off, I would start the saw and run it at a fast idle until the clutch kicks in. Look for oil to be coming from the port just above the studs that hold the bar on.If this still does not get results then the oil tank may have to be flushed out.I used fuel oil to clean my Stihl and all sorts of foreign matter came out.Now oils fine. As to your chain not holding an edge, well this could be from several sources.Who is doing the sharpening?Is he using a grinder or a file.Is this chain a box store brand?Is this chain a chipper or chisel? I would do a little research and find the correct angles and use a bar mounted file guide to help you out. I have an Oregon that I have had for years. It still sits on the bench as I now do my sharpening on a grinder. Hope this helps, Ken

Latest posts

Back