Poulan decomp valves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I got the little Homelite restored for reasons I have made known, I now have my sights set on restoring a saw just because its one of my personal favorites.

I want to do up a Poulan 245A and I had in my hand yesterday a hard to find new cylinder for one at a good price. I did not get it yet till I see if I can find a new piston etc for it.

The thing is, its a 245SA cylinder meaning that it has the hole for a decomp valve. In all the Poulans that have passed through my hands I have never seen a decomp on one so I don't even know what they look like or where to begin to look for one.

If someone knows where to look, PM me, I don't want to get into the non sponser seller thing.
To the best of my research, the only Poulans equipped with decomps back then were the 306SA, 245SA, 400 and the Dayton and Wright branded saws of the same.

Since decals are non existent I have access to a 245SA filter cover with a perfect decal on it, so I'm thinking I might as well try to find a decomp for it.

I think the decomp hole looks like a 3/8's fine thread ( i should have checked closer) , any other decomps maybe work? I cannot find a IPL for the above saws to get a part #

If anyone knows of a source for the above, please PM me as I don't want to get involved with the non sponser selling thing.

Last edited:
There is one for a 306SA for sale here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260181985254

The seller might be nice enough to give you the part number for the decomp valve or at least tell you if it is in fact on there. That is, assuming the 306SA and 245SAs use the same valve. It doesn't appear that any of the 306/245 SA IPLs are available on the web (for free at least).

I let a really nice local 245A slip through my hands last week, unfortunately. Another victim of Christmas shopping...

There is one for a 306SA for sale here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260181985254

The seller might be nice enough to give you the part number for the decomp valve or at least tell you if it is in fact on there. That is, assuming the 306SA and 245SAs use the same valve. It doesn't appear that any of the 306/245 SA IPLs are available on the web (for free at least).

I let a really nice local 245A slip through my hands last week, unfortunately. Another victim of Christmas shopping...

I would be most shocked if they didn't share the same exact decomp between the 2 of em.

I had a good 245A many years ago, let it go and am still kickin myself.

I have been looking for another nice on for awhile. I do have one here and instead of spending too much on a possible ebay junker, I'm thinking of just building this one up to it's former glory.

I found a new cyl so thats half the battle and I got a line on a piston.

Back