Poulan muffler mods 3750 330 305 220

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
Here are some pits of my homeowner poulan family 3750,330,305,220,2000,20.
Thanks WJ for showing me how easy it was to do carb rebuilds. Just rebuilt the first 3 saws carbs. The mufflers on the first 4 saws have been gutted of all baffles and spark screens removed. Then 3 extra 15/64th holes for the 3750,330. The 305 got 2 extra 15/64th holes and opened the stock opening. The 220 got the rear 2 vent type openings pryed open as far as they would allow,then put 2 extra 15/64th holes up front. What a difference this little bit has made. I just ordered 16" bars for the 3750,330,305 with stihl RS chain on the way. The 220 runs a 12" with windsor 50R SC. The last 3 pits are of the outer mufflers up close.
chores018.gif

Last edited:
cool. Just make sure you readjust the carb as necessary...I'm sure eric told you that. Now sell some of those and get a nice 372 to play with :laugh:

Freakingstang said:
cool. Just make sure you readjust the carb as necessary...I'm sure eric told you that. Now sell some of those and get a nice 372 to play with :laugh:
Every time I made a mod I re-adjusted the carbs. After the rebuilds did it again. Today after the final steps of the 15/64 holes I had to do it again. Got that down pat now. Ran some of WJ's saws, except the 066 and then got to run that new 385. I really as a homeowner dont need that kind of POWER.
Copyofviolent013.gif

Last edited:
Cut4fun said:
Every time I made a mod I re-adjusted the carbs. After the rebuilds did it again. Today after the final steps of the 15/64 holes I had to do it again. Got that down pat now. Ran some of WJ's saws, except the 066 and then got to run that new 385. I really as a homeowner dont need that kind of POWER.
Copyofviolent013.gif

Good dealio

I am just a homeowner......so is eric.......so are a lot of the people here....You can never have enough power. <tim "the toolman" taylor> More power, urg urg urg urg urg </tim tyalor>

One thing I have found, I haven't lost any power from having a large hole. It may burn more fuel, but I have yet to find a powerloss from a big or oversized hole/opening.

Freakingstang said:
Good dealio

I am just a homeowner......so is eric.......so are a lot of the people here....You can never have enough power. <tim "the toolman" taylor> More power, urg urg urg urg urg </tim tyalor>

One thing I have found, I haven't lost any power from having a large hole. It may burn more fuel, but I have yet to find a powerloss from a big or oversized hole/opening.
Are you saying you went bigger then the exhaust port on the cylinder? The holes on the outside of your mufflers were larger then the exhaust port? I thought that they needed a little back pressure to run right. I think alot of gain is in the chains. But darn if I can do it. Need to give WJ a gold coin and get some loops cut special for fun days like his gtg. I just ran some stihl RM2 that was on the 305 when I bought it, yes fresh machine sharpened too, so no it wasnt dull. Glad it was free chain,because that stuff is junk. Cant wait to try out the RS. So far I give my nod toward Windsor FC, then the Oregon 72 LG. Hope you all are right on the RS stuff. I dont burn wood either, so i dont do alot of cutting, I just cut 4 fun and storm damage clean ups and trimming.
large-smiley-051.gif

Last edited:
yup, that is what I was saying. My current 372 muffler has twin 3/4" ID stacks or tubes on them. It is a much better runner than the 1/2x1" opening I had. If you can get a cheap muffler, try it out. You won't know until you try. The opening is now probably about 120% of the exhaust outlet, but the openings are at the top right of the muffler, so there is a little time and backpressure. if the opening was directly in front of the exhaust cylinder outlet, then maybe it would suffer greatly.

Rm, is that chipper chain? I would whittle faster.....I hope you are not taking my word, as I am just a firewood cutter. I prefer the Stihl, but If I hadto pay 20-30 bucks a loop, I'd stick with the oregon.

Gotcha, here I though you burned wood with all those saws. If you are just a recreational cutter, you have a problem with that many saws..... :laugh:

We all do, that is why we are here! :chainsaw:

Freakingstang said:
Rm, is that chipper chain? I would whittle faster.....I hope you are not taking my word, as I am just a firewood cutter. I prefer the Stihl, but If I hadto pay 20-30 bucks a loop, I'd stick with the oregon.

Gotcha, here I though you burned wood with all those saws. If you are just a recreational cutter, you have a problem with that many saws..... :laugh:

We all do, that is why we are here! :chainsaw:
Heres what the stihl site says about RM2. Like i said total JUNK. Glad it was a free loop that came with the saw.
STIHL RAPID™ Micro™ 2 contains triple-humped tie straps to reduce kickback tendency. Other than the addition of triple-humped tie straps, RM2 is the same as RM and has very similar cutting characteristics. STIHL RAPID™ Micro™ 2 is an ideal chain for the occasional user.
Copyofviolent013.gif

.325"

0.050" 3975

full chisel, whether it is stihl or not. I rather use full chisel in dirty wood than chipper chain or semi chisel anyday....

RS for me or oregon 73 LG

pine for axe targets

No pits of the 28"-30" elm, left it had my friends house for firewood after it was dark. Heres the 20"-22" pine for axe targets. Hows the hinge cut? It was a monster tall pine.

Last edited:
i think u will find a saw sooner or later that does drop performance if u open thehe exhaust up to much. my first was a 962 olmpyk. it needed the back pressure. i later let dave nieger mod it for me. he didnt fool much with the exhaust that i know of ,but what ever he did, it was the fastest saw ive owned.
ive always wondered what a well modded 330 would run like ,as its a fast cutter stock.

Cut4fun said:
No pits of the 28"-30" elm, left it had my friends house for firewood after it was dark. Heres the 20"-22" pine for axe targets. Hows the hinge cut? It was a monster tall pine.

Just my two cents on the hinge cut. Too high and too much angle on your back cut if I'm seeing it right. Another dam$ critic right?:cheers:

gumneck said:
Just my two cents on the hinge cut. Too high if I'm seeing it right.

The hinge was cut high on purpose. Wanted the first 2 feet of the trunk butt below the hinge cut, for making the best axe targets out of. Just glad the tree fell and we were safe with our families that night. The guy I was with had gotten knocked out and woke up in the woods dropping a tree last year. Now that explains the broken handle on the saw that he wanted me to fix for him. Like I said before, I know nothing about this stuff. Just enjoy having fun and trying different things. To many hobbies, so little time.

I owned a 69 Opel GT, the ones that look like a mini vette. Had inline with dual single carbs. Only car I ever won a road racing trophy with in southern ohio. Was only 3rd place, but got a trophy and some money. Why not mod a poulan, the older ones seem fine to me. Not everyone can marry the prom queens you know and they have higher up keep, and somebody has to take care of the fat chicks in the corner.
rofl2.gif
Oops forgot we was talking saws.
RollingPin.gif
Stay healthy all.
BonkOwnHead.gif

Cut4fun said:
Not everyone can marry the prom queens you know and they have higher up keep, and somebody has to take care of the fat chicks in the corner.
rofl2.gif
Oops forgot we was talking saws.
RollingPin.gif
Stay healthy all.
BonkOwnHead.gif
LOL! Just tugging at your chain a little.
Seriously though, you might be able to sell all your poulans on eBay, and then add a couple hundred bucks, so you could buy a Stihl 011 or something.:buttkick:

Not everyone can marry the prom queens you know and they have higher up keep, and somebody has to take care of the fat chicks in the corner.

My wife was a prom queen and yes she was something for up keep alot:dizzy: . She got older with age and down came her up keep some:clap: ...Thank god ..lol...We now have 4 kids all girls...Here I go again..:dizzy:

Allan

My first car was a 1969 Opel Kadett coupe. Paid $90 for it and the insurance cost me $100. Drove it about 6 months with a bungee cord to hold it in 4th gear.

Latest posts

Back