Poulan Pro throwing fits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overtrained

Not crazy, Stoopid!
Reaction score
Messing with this saw for a friend of mine. It was barely used but sat dry for some years until currently. Its tough to start and then it will run good when you squeeze the trigger at WOT. It will bog down initially and sometimes shut off. Then it wont idle worth a damn. I tried messing with the throttle/idle to no change in performance. It ran best when I called it a night and drained the fuel out of it to run it dry, I left the gas cap off. Not sure if its cause it leaned out or maybe the gas cap vent is plugged. Any idea's? P.S fuel lines are all intact and i dont have a carb tool to adjust the H L jets the moment.

s6ukja.jpg

Who knows what shape the inside of the carb is. I would at least take it off, get it all apart, and clean it all out with carb spray. Inspect the lines, etc. Replace what needs replacing.

the saw sat for a long time? Maybe it sat because it wouldn't start or run well?

The dealers aren't supposed to sell them but you could might find the splined adjustment screwdriver online someplace. Failing that, some guys have suggested pushing a tube over them, something that will grab on. Or cutting a little slot so a flat blade driver will work.

Messing with this saw for a friend of mine. It was barely used but sat dry for some years until currently. Its tough to start and then it will run good when you squeeze the trigger at WOT. It will bog down initially and sometimes shut off. Then it wont idle worth a damn. I tried messing with the throttle/idle to no change in performance. It ran best when I called it a night and drained the fuel out of it to run it dry, I left the gas cap off. Not sure if its cause it leaned out or maybe the gas cap vent is plugged. Any idea's? P.S fuel lines are all intact and i dont have a carb tool to adjust the H L jets the moment.

s6ukja.jpg

It could be the fuel tank vent. I had that problem with my Wild Thing. It would start and run good for a little while and then bog and stall and then either wouldn't start or would start and die. I heard a hiss when I cracked the fuel cap open and then the saw started and ran good. The tank vent is in the fuel cap on my saw. I took it apart and found a wood chip stuck in it.

The adjustment tool is available online and not too expensive.

i have done bunches of those,, put in new fuel lines and a carb kit,, if you don't the carb adjustment tool then pull the carb anyway and take a dremel with a thin cutting disk and notch the adjusters so you can use a small screw driver,,

It's entirely conventional with a single line fuel system and no primer bulb/return line. Should have a Walbro WT carb. Just pull the carb apart and clean it up good with some carb cleaner, and check the screen inside. Without cleaning the carb or having the tool to adjust it there's no real way to get it working right. The fuel tank vent is on top of the case under the carb mount, not in the cap. Also make sure the filter is not clogged.

The chain that's on it is stock 33SL - it is incapable of cutting anything, you may as well run it backwards. I don't really know why but it is MUCH worse than other chain with shark fin bumpers. If you grind the shark fins off completely and sharpen it well it actually works pretty well. Tell the owner to put on a loop of 20BPX semi chisel (should be available locally). Then do a muffler mod.

With a good chain and a muffler mod you'll be amazed at how that saw runs.

Sounds like time for a carb kit, surprised the fuel lines haven't rotted off, while I had the carb out rebuilding it, I would do the friend a favor and replace the crappy line with Tygon lines.

Back