Poulan Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No problem Bump, I would have just tinkered with it and then traded it for a good saw like a Dolmar or older Poulan. Good Luck on the misses. Heres one to do. Tell her you are buying it for me and just waiting on me to come pick it up. Then down the road just tell her I owed you some money and told you to just keep the saw as payment. LMAO on this. :hmm3grin2orange:

Hey Bob! I know Kevin had first dibs, but keep me in mind... I need to replace the one that was stolen about a month ago. This little 6401 makita isn't going to cut it.... :laugh:

Update on the 044:

Good news; Buddy sold stuff and generated funds to acquire the 044.
Bad news; he likes it and plans to keep it. His stable consists of Poulan Pro 2something and a Husky Rancher of some sort. He does heat his hoUse with wood, and actually needs a bigger machine in his fleet.
Good news; he ran across a PAIR of complete Remington Super 754s for me and got 'em for $30 for the pair!

edited for typo - wood, hose, got out of hand! Ohh, there I go again... sorry!

Last edited:
Thanks Scottr

scottr said:
Bryan , here is a previous thread that might help . http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=28464

I appreciate the help. At least now I feel I can figure it out and keep the Poulan as the saw I use when cutting close to the ground. I will rent a stump grinder to get rid of my stumps, but I want to cut them as close to the ground as possible. I will look into the Poulan as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks again.

Bryan

bump_r said:
He does heat his hose with wood, and actually needs a bigger machine in his fleet.

I'm not going to say it! I'm not! I'm not! I'm not! :bang:

:hmm3grin2orange:

BWAHAHAAAH!!!! hoUse, man HOUSE!!!! Good catch, man! I'm gonna go edit that right now!

Just found a new 445 Poulan Pro on the shelf today at the local dealer. I might go back in a few days and do some talking to them about it . It has 1997 on the tag. So, I am thinking they might do some major dealing to move it. What would be a good offer for it. I kind of like the looks of it too. Is it as bad as stihls for dirty air filters?
Thanks alot
Bob

The one I saw is a 445. The saw does not look nothing like the one in the pic on mike's of the 455. The 445 has a front exhaust.
Bob

I know of a 445 sitting at a Coast to Coast store last I was there. From the price that was on it they must have been awfully proud of it. My 505 takes the same air filter as a 330, but thats about it as far as the parts changing goes with the little ones. Stihl clutch drum E-clips will interchange with the 445/505 series. I tried ordering a bar side cover a few months back and they where NLA, something to keep in mind.(Haven't tried to get a red one yet) The air filter stays pretty clean on mine. Good solid saw, but the 445 is a bit pudgie for its displacement. The 455 is a Pioneer clone.

Marco said:
.... Good solid saw, but the 445 is a bit pudgie for its displacement. The 455 is a Pioneer clone.
That is right, the 445 is basically the same saw as the larger displacement saws in the same series.
The weight should be about the same as for the Husky 575xp, a pound or so more than the 372xp and PS7900.....

bump_r said:
Good news; he ran across a PAIR of complete Remington Super 754s for me and got 'em for $30 for the pair!

YAY!!! One 754 starts, runs, cuts, and idles. The second one needs the recoil bolted back on - I'll get to that tonight. Not bad! BTW - these animals are L-O-U-D! Do they actually have mufflers, or just ported exhaust outlets? Dang! Do NOT start one of these in a garage, either! WOW!

Oh, the $100 044? Runs and cuts like a champ. Has a disconcerting "tinky-tinky-tinky" from clutch at idle, though. The clutch drum has a fair bit of play relative to the crankshaft, but the bearing and crank look prretty good. Also, the clutch shoes have a LOT of wiggle - thay are not held inward by the springs. And the rim sprocket is toast. I suggested he get a set of clutch springs, sprocket, bearing and drum. The chain has a lot of side droop (with chain removed from saw, hold it outward and flat) suggesting pin/link wear but a LOT of tooth remaining and still a good edge - maybe an oiling issue to look into later. He also wants a longer bar - perhaps a 24". Anyone have suggestions on my diagnosis, recommendations, or plan of attack? Anyone except Sap, that is.

Back