Poulan S6000 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a super nice Poulan S6000 last week. It was super dirty but underneath I knew a gem was just waiting to come out.

The saw was a low hour saw and had the original 19" bar and Poulan branded chain still with it. Don't ask me why someone would want to lug this thing around with a 19" bar but that's what it had on it. These 6000 S6000/Dolmar 152, 153's are far and away from being the strongest 6 cube saw around but a 19" :msp_wink:

Long story short, I screwed it up right off the bat. The wire from the ign to the switch had all the insulation just crumbling off of it so in trying to remove the flywheel to fix the wire I ended up breaking the end of the crank off since I used a conventional puller on it. I never gave it a look to see the end of the crank was drilled the length of the threaded area of the crank. :censored:

I also found out something about this S6000. I thought the 6000 was a Dolmar 152 and a S6000 was a Dolmar 153. I was right but wrong at the same time. The S6000 is marked 152 on the serial # pad but it is a 153 all day long except one thing. It still used that damn 152 crank with the huge PTO side on it so the smallest sprocket you can use on it is a .404 X 8 or a 3/8's X 8. There is no rim drive available to fit this style crank.

This also makes me wonder about the guys with 152's that have a 153 style rear handle. They say there a "late" 152 but I wonder if there not like this S6000 and are actually a 153 with a 152 style crank.

This S6000 has all the makings of a 153. It has the 153 style tank and rear handle, the 153 RH crank case half along with the external 153 oiler, worm gear, and recoil housing.

Was the late 152 actually a early 153? I cannot find any IPLs to support either way, a late 152 or a early 153.

I got lucky and found a Dolmar 144 crank on Ebay and thanks to Lee H he found that it is a exact match to the 152 crank that I needed, so I snatched it up. I also found some NOS gaskets and a flywheel side seal for it. I found a aftermarket PTO side seal that worked perfectly.

I got it all tore down last week and got all the parts cleaned up while waiting for the parts to arrive. I got some time yesterday to put it together. Pretty straight foreword rebuild and I'll post some pictures as it went back together. Turned out to be probably the nicest S6000 around and is now in perfect good as it left the factory condition and thanks a lot to Dave for helping me out in getting to own it.

Here it is as arrived.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is the "OH CRAP" mess up on the crankshaft

attachment.php

Just thought I would throw this out there.

In my searching for answers about using a 144 crank and trying to find the 152/153 relationships I stumbled across this older posting from Rick looking to do the same swap and it never was answered.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/136681.htm?langid=2

This thread I started does now indeed answer it....

That thread needs to be pointed to this one as well so future searchers can find the most accurate info.

looks real nice mark, bet it looks good next to my old one!.........................:cheers:

It will. Soon as I can get some stuff arranged so I can get them together. I'm running out of room again. Lol

This might be the best 6000/S6000 combo out there.

What length bar do you have on it in the pictures? That is another nice rebuild.

Randy this is a 33" in it right now, not sure if it's what's staying on it or not. Like I said these saws don't really have the nuts to run the .404 x 8 so more then likely it will get setup with a 3/8 on it.

That thread needs to be pointed to this one as well so future searchers can find the most accurate info.

Yes it does and like I said I'm not convinced yet about the info stated in the Dolmar thread being correct about the so called late 152 being correct either. No if ands or butts about it, this is a 153 saw with a 152 crank I'm it. ..

A tad late to the party Mark, But as always a great build.
Your saw is in fantastic shape. And i myself have done
the same thing to a very similar crank. Not fun. But lesson
learned. Dolmar did some strange things back in the day
for who knows what reasons. To me yours is a 152 as it's
stamped. But most likely a later one but still as it has the
153 style fuel tank and rear handle but has the 152 style
full wrap, muffler and crank.

Very nice saw.

Lee

Lee, you could look at it either way I guess. A muffler or handle is just a bolt on. A completely different crankcase and completely different oiler seems a lot more of a major difference to me.

Like you say there were some strange things going on back then and I'll add that it wasn't just Dolmar doing them.

Another reason I'm still looking to document these differences in a Dolmar IPL is to see if these changes were only on the relabled saws. I know it was not uncommon for Poulan to relable a saw for a customer that was a little different then one they put on a shelf branded as a Poulan.

Thanks again for the help.

I got the Poulan 6000 out today to take a couple of pictures of it with the S6000 to document the differences between the two.

Look closely at the tank/rear handle, recoil assy but most important look at the lower cutout of the muffler and you can see the main difference in the type of oiler used between the two.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back