Poulan S6000 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, Are both saws 152's or is the later a 153.

Sweet looking saws, Glad you made out ok with the crank.

Lee

Lee the S6000 is marked 152 on the serial number. That's what I was saying, other then the crank and like you pointed out the muffler and handlebar, everything else is actually a 153...

If you notice the 6000 is decaled as electronic ign while the S6000 is not.

It appears from the IPL's that the 6000 could have been points or electronic while the S6000 was only made electronic which from memory follows the 152 and 153 IPLs as well.

Last edited:
6000 verses 152/153 crankshaft

Hello Mark--
Really nice job on the rebuild !!!- I have a 152 I am I am converting into a radio control airplane engine. What I am doing is a basic build from saw parts collected , you mentioned that the Sach 144 crank is the same as a 152/153?

The crank I have someone butchered up the flywheel side of the threads- I can fix it but ---what I have done before is because I am not driving a PTO chain or oil pump I can put the crankshaft in backwards or left to right via swapping the PTO side to the flywheel side to drive the propeller-I've done this before.

Would you be interested in selling the crank that has the bad threads on the flywheel side? I am doing some experimenting on my lathe, I may grind the stud off the bad crank and bore a hole in the end of the crank and then braze a new stud if I control the heat without tempering the whole crank, or I may tap the bore and use a bolt. Most cranks I played with I think are case hardened, although you still need a super sharp carbide bit to drill I've experienced they are not hardened thru completely. I'm guessing they don't harden cranks thru because the crank would then be to brittle and could snap. I'm no metal guru but just playing around---

Picture of a 120si I found blown up that I did-Man them Sachs saws hurl a airplane. I know allot of the saw guys frown on this-but most of the saws I get are ready for the scrap heap-My dream engine is a 166----

Anyway if your interested I appreciate it. Thanks Vinny

Hello Mark--
Really nice job on the rebuild !!!- I have a 152 I am I am converting into a radio control airplane engine. What I am doing is a basic build from saw parts collected , you mentioned that the Sach 144 crank is the same as a 152/153?

The crank I have someone butchered up the flywheel side of the threads- I can fix it but ---what I have done before is because I am not driving a PTO chain or oil pump I can put the crankshaft in backwards or left to right via swapping the PTO side to the flywheel side to drive the propeller-I've done this before.

Would you be interested in selling the crank that has the bad threads on the flywheel side? I am doing some experimenting on my lathe, I may grind the stud off the bad crank and bore a hole in the end of the crank and then braze a new stud if I control the heat without tempering the whole crank, or I may tap the bore and use a bolt. Most cranks I played with I think are case hardened, although you still need a super sharp carbide bit to drill I've experienced they are not hardened thru completely. I'm guessing they don't harden cranks thru because the crank would then be to brittle and could snap. I'm no metal guru but just playing around---

Picture of a 120si I found blown up that I did-Man them Sachs saws hurl a airplane. I know allot of the saw guys frown on this-but most of the saws I get are ready for the scrap heap-My dream engine is a 166----

Anyway if your interested I appreciate it. Thanks Vinny

Vinny, its true the 144 and 152 cranks are the same. The 153 crank is the same except for the smaller dia on the PTO side where the sprocket rides.

I ended up just grinding the broken end off flat so I could finish pulling the flywheel off but I think there are a couple threads left.

I'll PM you about it.

The Dolmar and Husky engines were were very popular as model airplane engines up until 5 or so years ago. As with everything else, the Chinese have moved in on that market and made engines more specific for model airplanes. The companies that converted Sachs-Dolmar, Husqvarna, and Echo chainsaw engines for model airplanes have faded away.

I have a . . .
Brisson 3.2 > Dolmar 115
Brisson 6.4 twin > two piston & cylinders from a Dolmar 115
Zenoah G62 > Redmax 6200 the G62's are still being made by Zenoah/Husqvarna
BME 50 > Echo/Kioritz 520 clamshell engine

Nice build and details Mark. They are both great looking saws. I like your trick for getting the seal over the shoulder on the crank too.

I have 2 152 SDs that have the "mag heel".

Found the wraps on 152s have roll pins as the 153 have the cast aluminum "tee". Like Uncle Lee said, they probably mixed and matched whatever was in the bin on the assembly line.

Like anything that old parts could be non-original. My guess is that since SD was outsourcing these to Poulan that they cleared out the bins of 144 stuff for the rebadged ones.

If it was your company would you not use the latest designs for your own label? The 152s/6000 never had a manual oiler, so the different pump is to accommodate the check valve for the manual plunger.

Me thinks perhaps SD had some "left over" 144 parts and used them on the rebadged Poulans. The recoil is pretty much a 144 item as is the "windowed" front cover. My 152s don't have the window like the 144. But things could have been changed after all these years. Another reason for the 144 type recoil is the SD recoils of that time frame had the Sachs Dolmar logo cast into them, not something easily covered up with a sticker.

Both of my 152s have 152 in the ID stamp and both have the peculiar large crank, The 4 153s (and are stamped 153 on the pad) all have the smaller crank snout.

One thing about old saws, unless you sold and serviced them when new, many parts do interchange.

I am pretty green with envy, especially that you can get stickers for them.

I must say those are two old slugs to be proud of.

Don't have nor have seen a green Sachs Dolmar.

Could anyone confirm there was ever an S6000 that was stamped 153 on the pad and used the smaller crank snout?

By the by, anyone ever seen a "jungle" muffler for them? I have one that was not real impressive since the exhaust port slammed right into the internal "elephant trunk".

No worries there, I split the muffler and splayed the so called "trunk",,,,,,,,,,,,yes it is quite loud!

Don't have nor have seen a green Sachs Dolmar.

Could anyone confirm there was ever an S6000 that was stamped 153 on the pad and used the smaller crank snout?

By the by, anyone ever seen a "jungle" muffler for them? I have one that was not real impressive since the exhaust port slammed right into the internal "elephant trunk".

No worries there, I split the muffler and splayed the so called "trunk",,,,,,,,,,,,yes it is quite loud!

I'll check my S6000 later today....It's been waiting in the wings for me to tidy up a couple things.

Mark: Beauty saws!!! Good job on the build!:rock:

I'll check my S6000 later today....It's been waiting in the wings for me to tidy up a couple things.

Mark: Beauty saws!!! Good job on the build!:rock:

Check your 6000 for what? I only seen that post since you quoted it. :hmm3grin2orange:

No such thing that I'm aware of of a S6000 pure 153, just this mutt style and the IPL's attest to it. I'm still looking for someone to provide a 152 IPL showing the 153 style tank on it. I have yet to find that IPL...

On other notes I have another 6CI just about ready to hit the project bench. I'm still waiting for a guy to find out what parts he has available for it though. Hint, hint. LOL

Don't take this personal, lol, but if you cut up a 166............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:msp_ohmy:

Hmm, a little birdie told me last night about a 166 that might be on the market sometime. No I doubt if I have interest in it.

Check your 6000 for what? I only seen that post since you quoted it. :hmm3grin2orange:

No such thing that I'm aware of of a S6000 pure 153, just this mutt style and the IPL's attest to it. I'm still looking for someone to provide a 152 IPL showing the 153 style tank on it. I have yet to find that IPL...

I just meant what was stamped on mine, but I couldn't even find a stamp.:confused:

Mine is a funny mix somewhere between the two you have, I think, Mark, but I know next to nothing about these, so I can certainly bow out of the conversation. :)

I just meant what was stamped on mine, but I couldn't even find a stamp.:confused:

Mine is a funny mix somewhere between the two you have, I think, Mark, but I know next to nothing about these, so I can certainly bow out of the conversation. :)

It will be stamped on the case near the rear of the clutch cover...

Rob, I'm still learning these myself but I find things are different then what some so called experts have put out there. First hand experience and factory documents are the best way. Plus the fact that these 2 saws come with a little bit of background and are low hour saws to begin with that I'm satisfied they are still how they left the factory..

You can lead a horse to water,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

When you get it all figured out, let us know.

by the way I ain't no expert, just have one, or half a dozen of them (real ones in HEMI orange)

Back