Poulan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then dont by a Poulan because they are throw aways. It will probably last 2-3 years depending on how much use it gets.

For a good chainsaw you need to shell out at least $250, preferably $300

I suggest you look into the Husqvarna 55 at $300 to $329, Its a bargain at those prices.

Second choice, go to John Deere and look at the CS56 18" great saw, and sometimes you can buy them $300 bucks. Also look at their CS 47 and CS 52s.

Third go for a Husky 350 or 345.

Fourth Solo 650, if you have a dealer near you.

If you must get a Poulan, get the 45 or 50 cc model in yellow only, not green or grey or anything else. But you ought to find out if there is a Poulan dealer around for service.

Tony has given you a more complete answer. The small green Poulans from Wal-Mart etc. are consumer grade"throwaways". Frankly all the saw that many of their purchasers will ever need but not built for heavy use. The Poulan Pro line are just that-Professional saws. Some of the larger models are in fact the same designs as Husky and Jonsereds (all 3 are owned by Electrolux). Mike hates Poulans (someimes I think that Mike hates everything ;) ) but despite his derision I have had excellent service from several Poulans. I have had one that was hard to start but the rest have been long lasting and problem free.

Have you ever owned a chainsaw before?

Have you ever RUN chainsaws before? If not, there is a ton of stuff to learn. Virtually EVERYONE using their first chainsaw will not know how to use or maintain one properly- including myself. Your best bet is to buy a throw-away since you will probably destroy it anyway. I destroyed my first 2-3 chainsaws by not knowing how to cut without keeping the chain out of the dirt, I didn't know how to keep the chain properly tensioned (but it didn't matter because it was always dull). I didn't know how to sharpen a chain. My saws were always running hot because I tried to force them through wood with a dull chain.

This is not a knock on you. But I think your best bet is to buy a throw-away and start learning about proper maintenance and proper cutting techniques. PLEASE don't forget the safety gear! Even a dull saw will cut you up real bad. Chaps, eye protection, gloves, etc. You will probably get better advice in a true saw shop rather than a Home Depot or Lowes. You will also get better service buying from a dealer. By the time you destroy it, you will have hopefully learned enough about saw usage to throw it away and buy a better saw.

I had a Poulan POS

They are really disposable. Try to buy a coil for one. You will find that the coil costs half as much as the saw.

Stihl is a good domestic made saw (Virginia Beach) and you can get really good ones for ~$300. Much better money spent than $150 on a Poulan. My Poulan lasted me 2 years, 1 of that cutting alot of firewood and clearing.

my .02

Mark

welcome

I wonder if you question would be better stated as "Is a poulan chain saw a good saw for me?

What do you plan to do with it, cut a bit of brush or fire wood once and a while or realy put it to work?

As stated the green saws a throwaway, they might last 50-100 hours, and if you have problems your pretty much SOL. The yellow saws are believed to share components with other more industry standard saws. However if I look in the phone book for dealers or service centers I see shops for Husky, Stihl, Jhonsered, Homelight, and even a guy advertising to servivce john deere, mac and craftsman, but no where do I see where you would take a poulan if you had a problem.

Not much fun shipping it off to the manufacturer for repairs or service.

If you expect to use the saw any amout for more than a couple of years you might want look at investing a few more $$$

check out the search feature on the website, tuns of info!

Timberwolf

mswabbie,
You won't get many positive remarks if any on this forum about Poulans or craftsmans either. Anyhow,you should read all the posts and it will help you make a decision on what to buy. If you're going to use a saw a lot it would be better to get something better than a Poulan. They seem to be pretty hard to start and keep running. Cheap saws are like any cheap tool, just mostly a source of agitation -Just my opinion though.

Treeclimber-That is a great point, I never thought of it that way, maybe because I was trained at a young age, under constant supervision. I would say a Wild thing would probably be a good starter saw in this case..-Matt

Originally posted by Brush Stomper
mswabbie,
You won't get many positive remarks if any on this forum about Poulans or craftsmans either.

I thought most guys here on AS liked Husqvarna chainsaws. :D

Truth be told

I went just that route, picked up a poulan about 3 years ago to cut fire wood. paid 115$ cdn (tax inc) for it (new but discounted due to a damaged chain). Sold it this year for 100$ cdn!! so for 3 years fire wood ~20 cords it cost me the tax a bar and a couple of chains (gas and oil and a file). I did put a proper oregon bar and VS chain on it.

Now I realy appreciate my pro quality Stihls.

Get it on sale, keep it looking nice and you should be able to sell it off for near what you paid. If it goes boom your only out a hundred bucks or so. Don't expect too much of a cheep saw though, they are not in any way build to take abuse or last a long time.

Timberwolf

Latest posts

Back