Power/Telephone poles, cutting of

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
define straight?

these poles start a 45' and they take up to 125'. I'm hoping to average around 60', although I'm pretty sure there are at least 2 90's in there.

One at a time I think the missus can do it, I may have to stop and wiggle my way around anything remotely looking like a corner, but I should be able to do it. Luckily the bit of ground in the middle is getting more or less cleared, The poles are probably coming off of one strip on the far side of the landing. There is at least on sharp turn at the landing, and a gentler one just before it, the landing is completely clear though, not even any stumps (which is weird by the way).

Nate's right, a straight pull around here is like finding a woman that cooks, cleans, doesn't want kids, her mom and dad both like you, doesn't nag, can change her own oil, is very attractive, and can carry an intelligent conversation.

Or like finding a dear during hunting season and not being shot at while you take aim.

drop n winch then, there is always a way. with the 540 grapple, I sometimes will drop and run to the tail and push it around with the blade, then regrapple and continue. do what ya have to with something valuable. we have always kept smallish skidders and worked bigger timber, ya learn little tricks.
hey north, how ya gonna haul poles? I mean yer regular self loader guy won't be able to help ya there. you gonna need a loader i'd think.

they have specialized trucks out here, or they will sometimes use a standard self loader for the shorter poles, otherwise their self loader is more or less the same as our usual loaders they just have an even more extendable reach and sometimes they will add a section to the trailer, all depends on the road I guess.

Our loaders out here arn't much different then the east coast knuckle booms, really the might even be the same thing just on a post looking tube, Some of them are rated around 14k although most are not... The self loader jocks all brag about 3 log loads, I know one guy that loaded a 9'6" dia 36' long log, had to notch the butt to fit between the bunks. I'll have to see if I can find some video of our self loaders getting creative...

Back