powerlines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyMan_812

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
river birch growing into the powerlines. could this shock a guy by the limb touching the lines? I dont usually mess with these jobs but i was thinking about this one.

The short answer is yes. The long answer is it depends on the type of power. Insulated house drop... not such a big deal. It also depends on how much it is in the power. Uninsulated power don't even think about it. Leave it for a crew experienced in that type of work. With that being said even "insulated" wire can have holes in the insulation which will lead to a bad day. Thats my opinion. Be safe..... Mike

Yeah it uninsulated power. house drops i feel comfortable with but i just dont want to end up lookin like buck wheat, or much worse. Thanks for the advice.

river birch growing into the powerlines. could this shock a guy by the limb touching the lines? I dont usually mess with these jobs but i was thinking about this one.

Absolutely, I spent a night in ICU with direct contact from a n. maple branch contacting an open conductor. Lots of fireworks too.

If the voltage is high enough the branch does not even have to make contact. The power can arc over. You would be wise to leave this one to the pros.

Being I am a lineman by trade I figured I should chime in here. Insulated or not I would strongly suggest not triming any tree near lines, insulated or not. You dont know if the insulation is worn through or cracked. I have seen many limbs that have rubbed right through the insulation and you didnt even know it.

My suggestion is have the Electric company come out and top the tree under the line and then do the clean up. I do this all the time the tree contractor gets paid and goes home alive. Win - Win for everyone.

Powerlineman...what are the safe cutting distances (based on line voltage), assuming nothing is touching or is going to touch any part of the line, even when it falls? In other words when you suggest "not trimming any tree near lines", what distance is near?

New to the site here and an EX lineman also...

Heres a couple pics of my latest takedown, a 75 footer way above 3 24KV lines, called the power company and had them install insulation blankets on the nearest line by the tree less than a foot away.
This was a slow takedown almost every piece was lowered in a tight landing area. Got it finished up today.

Last edited:
Wow great pic captures the moment & gusty for getting them whilst hanging above 24Kv. Not an easy day huh? No money makes that kinda work worth ur while. Been there done that but no more now, over here your work would be in a power line no go zone.

Down here the PWR co would say. No ah ahr no way to this kinda job with out shut down or do with own elec live line crew as any little oopsy, your cooked and power to customer out for days.

How they let em grow that big next a wire span just beyond ??

See my thread about electrical power converted and horse power thats about 30 thousand Hp under your toes.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=109008&page=2

Take care up there.

Last edited:
I usually have the power CO come take down the house drops. Sometimes I will work around them if I can. I don't mess with the primaries tho. As has been mentioned they can arc without even coming in contact with them. An old climber once pointed out a rusty, old looking hookup on a commercial property we were working on. He told me to watch the old rusty one's, they are most likely to arc.

What kind of power lines?

This is one of those situations where what you don't know, can kill you.

When it comes to electrical power, if you have to ask, don't do it.

Glad to see you have sense enough to ask! Too many simply assume they know enough, and wind up in trouble.

"A good man knows his limitations." Harry Callahan.

:cheers:

Thanks for the suggestions in this thread. I now know that our local utility, KCP&L, will inspect their line for free to tell you if it is safe to trim or remove trees. They will trim or cut for free any unsafe situations, or drop the pole to meter line also for free to allow tree trimming to occur. Seems like a win-win situation! I'm sure other utilities have similar programs.
http://www.kcpl.com/safety/safety_trimming.html

Powerlineman...what are the safe cutting distances (based on line voltage), assuming nothing is touching or is going to touch any part of the line, even when it falls? In other words when you suggest "not trimming any tree near lines", what distance is near?

The table in this link http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/ele...y/substation_equipment/approach_distance.html Applies to Qualified Line Clearance Trimmers. The Minimum approach for NON-Qualified trimmers Starts at 10' and goes up from there.

I have had concerned citizens call the electric company on me, "theres a guy trimming trees in the wires" and did they come fast! However I was 20-30 feet away, but it was an optical illusion. If you have any common sense, 10 feet is TOO CLOSE.

In Nc it's 10 feet for non certified trimmers and the power company will enforce that rule if they get the chance....

Latest posts

Back