powerlines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of you guys that have experience with line want to come to St. Louis and finish taking down a big oak that is over power lines? I know it's going to cost a lot. There is most likely one full day in the tree. Rope you up for it? I could get tickets for a cardinal game also for whoever wants to do it.

Thanks Scott

Hmmmmmm st louis I may if it don't have to be immediate! I have a ton of work and need to get off here and gone. I could do it in a few weeks! Is that soon enough?

That might work. I'll get some pictures of the tree. I can get my Genie to the tree but it's not insulated. I don't need the whole tree down just to the main stem. I'll block it down out of my boom after that. It's a pretty tight area. PM me and let me know what kind of cost I am looking at.

Thanks Scott

That might work. I'll get some pictures of the tree. I can get my Genie to the tree but it's not insulated. I don't need the whole tree down just to the main stem. I'll block it down out of my boom after that. It's a pretty tight area. PM me and let me know what kind of cost I am looking at.

Thanks Scott

Post the pics and I will tell you! I can be a sub per day or whatever! Is there a rigging point left to pull and lower from?PS: if I caught it on a weekend I could take the wifes kia 36 mpg lol.

Weekend is fine for me. I have a couple 200ts one with a 14" and one with a 16" so you don't have to make her car smell like gas. I'd put a new chain on both just for you.:) I'll get pics today and post them later.

Scott

Weekend is fine for me. I have a couple 200ts one with a 14" and one with a 16" so you don't have to make her car smell like gas. I'd put a new chain on both just for you.:) I'll get pics today and post them later.

Scott

Ok I am going to chip five trees now lol I will look and try to figure out something we can both live with!

Thanks Scott

Yeah, keep that lift away!

OK Rope here are the pictures of the tree. I tried to get a lot of different angles. If you have any questions or need a different angle let me know. I just need the tree taken down to the where the branches hit the main stem.

Thanks Scott

Last edited:
Is that 3-phase primaries under that tree, or just the secondaries?

If those are primaries, I believe I would make the utility company get the top out of that. It's clearly their obligation.

Around here, if a tree is only over the secondaries, they will put REAL insulation on the lines, and then tell you to have fun. All the while adding comments like:

...please don't tear the wires down!
...Call us if you knock down the wires!

We had a really nasty dead tree last fall, KCPL was going to take down all the pole-to-pole secondaries at the back of the lots before they were going to take the top out of the tree themselves. Fortunately, my cheapskate relative didn't want to pay me the $500 I quoted for climbing and dropping this behemoth. When he calls me again this summer, I'll politely decline, as it is too much dead for me to set foot in, and I can't ask someone else to do it either.

It was a 3' DBH shingle oak about 80' tall, leaning at about 20° off vertical, with no branches for 50'. Real easy work to do, providing it never failed during the climb. I'm a chicken in dead trees.

Is that 3-phase primaries under that tree, or just the secondaries?

If those are primaries, I believe I would make the utility company get the top out of that. It's clearly their obligation.

Around here, if a tree is only over the secondaries, they will put REAL insulation on the lines, and then tell you to have fun. All the while adding comments like:

...please don't tear the wires down!
...Call us if you knock down the wires!

We had a really nasty dead tree last fall, KCPL was going to take down all the pole-to-pole secondaries at the back of the lots before they were going to take the top out of the tree themselves. Fortunately, my cheapskate relative didn't want to pay me the $500 I quoted for climbing and dropping this behemoth. When he calls me again this summer, I'll politely decline, as it is too much dead for me to set foot in, and I can't ask someone else to do it either.

It was a 3' DBH shingle oak about 80' tall, leaning at about 20° off vertical, with no branches for 50'. Real easy work to do, providing it never failed during the climb. I'm a chicken in dead trees.

Pretty sure they are just secondaries. The power company is a small town that does their own power. They do not do any tree cutting of any kind. I thought about seeing if they could take the lines down and cut power for a couple hours. That would make it a very easy and quick take down. They will put the plastic line wrapping on the lines. Problem is that adds a lot of extra weight. The tree just dies last year and it's very solid.

Scott

I got bit on the butt a couple of times, thought I'd found a hornets nest, makes it taste like you got a nickle in your mouth....

I know that taste well I got it through a wet rope on a service drop that taste is followed by the brief red flash that I assume is my brain being jump started , lol, I cut the sheathing off a service drop with a t200 and my toes curled in my boots ....

Has anyone cited the HVSA (High Voltage Safety Act)? I didnt read all 7 pages. If you work within the limits of overhead lines you are only screwing yourself, the power company cuts it for you......FOR FREE. At least here in VA. I have had them cut many trees for me, You call in, tell them you are dong work and you would be encroaching. And they come cut for you.

what are your guys thoughts on working around power lines.

how ive always done it was i cut them down as long as they where not grown through unisulated high tension you know the ones on the top of the poles.

i have never had a problem working around the lower insulated lines a tree i took down 2 days ago was grown through the botom wire. i just cut them on each side causing them to fall out.

is this crazy or severarly dangerous as i have done it for alot of the companies i work for. when i do this im in a fiberglass boom on my bucket truck.

what do you guys think? should i change my ways?

Matt, read ANSI, non-certified trimmers shouldnt even be around powerlines!! ehap is fine but no substitute for LCTT training through a JATC/ bargaining unit!!

whatever you do.....be careful & stay safe!

LXT..................

Looks like open secondaries with primary above definitely not easy but it is doable. Don't cut off any more limbs as need pull points to clear the over hang! I will pm you shortly with my prognosis is their anything on the other side of the lines that would prevent jumpcuts? It will be a day for sure if its as close as it appears. A pic of where those lines hit the pole would be handy! I don't see the neutral so the top wire could possibly be overhead guy! That would be better not easier mind you lol.

Last edited:
Looks like open secondaries with primary above definitely not easy but it is doable. Don't cut off any more limbs as need pull points to clear the over hang! I will pm you shortly with my prognosis is their anything on the other side of the lines that would prevent jumpcuts? It will be a day for sure if its as close as it appears. A pic of where those lines hit the pole would be handy! I don't see the neutral so the top wire could possibly be overhead guy! That would be better not easier mind you lol.

No more cutting will be done. Not sure what you mean by jumpcuts? There are some trees and a very nice yard. I can talk to the homeowner about working over there. I'll take the pic of the lines hitting the poles to can give tomorrow. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Scott

No more cutting will be done. Not sure what you mean by jumpcuts? There are some trees and a very nice yard. I can talk to the homeowner about working over there. I'll take the pic of the lines hitting the poles to can give tomorrow. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Scott

Hmmmmmmmm I am thinking here
004-1.jpg

Can't get a normal size bucket to it Local rental company has a Nifty that will drive it's self in the backyard and go 64ft. Problem is it's not insulated either.

Scott

Can't get a normal size bucket to it Local rental company has a Nifty that will drive it's self in the backyard and go 64ft. Problem is it's not insulated either.

Scott

Its ok, I can climb it just being a little lazy lmfao. It actually would cost me too much to bring the bucket anyways lol:cheers:

Back