PP330 - switch to low profile 3/8?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool85

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I noticed on baileys that they list the same bars for my 2375 and 330...but the 2375 runs low pro chain. Could I run my low pro 3/8" 18" b&c from the 2375 on my 330?

not unless you can find and install a low profile drive sprocket

Ah, 3/8 and 3/8 low pro sprockets are different as well as bar and chain? I was curious about that...

**edit**
Really I'm just curious because my 2375 doesn't need an 18" bar and my 330 does.

Last edited:
Except for Stihl Picco, which does require special sprockets. As long as you stick with Oregon/Carlton/Baileys lo-pro, the standard 3/8 sprocket should be fine.

The milling forum recently had a lengthy discussion on this subject.

I should read that thread, but another point of conflict can be how chains ride on the bar nose sprocket. The dl and the spacing of how they meet the bottom of the chain chassis can vary between lp and regular 3/8.

Just for the heck of it I tried to put the 14" bar off of my Micro XXV deluxe on my 330 but the chain was not long enough.

I should read that thread, but another point of conflict can be how chains ride on the bar nose sprocket. The dl and the spacing of how they meet the bottom of the chain chassis can vary between lp and regular 3/8.
Pictures of nose sprocket fit shown on that thread, for both Picco and lo-pro.

Pic of Picco on standard 3/8 nose, from old thread by TriggerTime.
attachment.php

Pic of Oregon lo-pro on standard 3/8 nose, by Bmorgan. Thanks, Bmorgan.:)
attachment.php

Lo-pro discussed on milling forum
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=116758

You'll need to read the older thead it links to, as well.

I have yet to try either Picco or lo-pro, but I'm an interested party because I'd like to experiment with lo-pro on my CSM.

Won't be a problem because I would be running a 3/8 low pro bar as well as 3/8 low pro chain...I'll need to give this a go and see what happens.

go for it I'm running a 16" bar with the 3/8 lp chain I'm very happy , totally surprised my cutting partner who runs a stihl 260 w/18" bar , same log both new chains (I'm not sure what chain he's running ) i was cutting allot faster than he was all day , :clap:

It will be interesting to see some other responses.
see what I mean?
I know for a fact standard precut loops of low profile does not fit standard 3/8 nose sprockets whatever brand it is.
baileys' low profile ripping chain, on the other hand clearly states it can be used on standard 3/8 set ups which would indicate a different drive link. This may be the way to go if it is available in chisel as standard low pro is only to be had in semi chisel. The 10 deg top plate angle won't be the best for cross cutting tho.

go for it I'm running a 16" bar with the 3/8 lp chain I'm very happy , totally surprised my cutting partner who runs a stihl 260 w/18" bar , same log both new chains (I'm not sure what chain he's running ) i was cutting allot faster than he was all day , :clap:

Excellent! That means all I need is a 14" bar for my 2375 and I'm good to go! Depending on how I like the setup I may not even keep my 22" bar with regular 3/8. It's nice only having one file/raker gauge to deal with.

Is your 330 running .325 right now? I think most of them came with that from the factory. I'd pitch it and switch to 3/8 if you can, though I'm not sure I'd go with low-profile. Probably regular full-chisel skip chain would cut just as fast if not faster and have longer cutter life. I've switched a couple ~50cc saws over to a setup like this recently and have been really happy with the results, though based on experience with my own Poulan 335, your 330 at 54cc would probably have the grunt to pull full-comp chisel chain just fine too, especially at 18".

Is your 330 running .325 right now? I think most of them came with that from the factory. I'd pitch it and switch to 3/8 if you can, though I'm not sure I'd go with low-profile. Probably regular full-chisel skip chain would cut just as fast if not faster and have longer cutter life. I've switched a couple ~50cc saws over to a setup like this recently and have been really happy with the results, though based on experience with my own Poulan 335, your 330 at 54cc would probably have the grunt to pull full-comp chisel chain just fine too, especially at 18".

It's running 3/8 standard right now. It'll be running low pro when I get home though. I'm going to try simply swapping my 2375's 18" B&C over see how it goes. If I like it I'll repaint the bar so it doesn't say "WILD THING" on it lol.

It's running 3/8 standard right now. It'll be running low pro when I get home though. I'm going to try simply swapping my 2375's 18" B&C over see how it goes. If I like it I'll repaint the bar so it doesn't say "WILD THING" on it lol.

Also, if this works like I'm hoping it will, I can throw my 12" stubby hardnose bar on just for giggles!

Ah. I think full-comp on 22" is pushing it; it would pull it acceptably in some of the softwoods out here but likely wouldn't be much good in hardwood. You also might consider just a switch to skip chain and a muffler mod.

Ah. I think full-comp on 22" is pushing it; it would pull it acceptably in some of the softwoods out here but likely wouldn't be much good in hardwood. You also might consider just a switch to skip chain and a muffler mod.

Like I said, I already have the 18" B&C and they came on a 42cc saw that should really have a 14" setup. No purchases necessary and I can really up the performance of this already impressive saw.

I should do a muff mod soon though.

Like I said, I already have the 18" B&C and they came on a 42cc saw that should really have a 14" setup. No purchases necessary and I can really up the performance of this already impressive saw.

I should do a muff mod soon though.

Worked perfectly! I'll need to run it through some wood and see how I like it, but I have a good feeling about this. The saw is WAY more balanced now. It was pretty nose heavy out of the box.

Latest posts

Back