PPE advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearsfeat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy all,

I learned something from first hand experience that I wish I had known a month ago... I recently bought some chaps from Labonville (great store - great service! - they have a sponsered forum here)

Well, being a home owner and not a proffessional, I figger'd I'd cheap out and get the regular chaps. If you are in the same boat and considering getting chaps:

First, do it - you will never say "Boy, I wish I never bought those"

Second, Get the full wrap version. They are I think $20 more - but almost a necessity. Here's why.

Any protection is better than none, but in this case, the regular chaps are maybe more dangerous depending on your habits and environment. I have found that my chaps tend to get caught occasionally on smaller branches as I move around in the crown of a tree (on the ground, of course). As I cut the branches and maneuver to get other ones cut, the stubs catch on the chaps and could potentially trip me - I've had a couple of catches that prompted me to type this thread.

I cringe to imagine a branch catching a leg as I am making a run for it to avoid a falling snag or something...

I have not seen the Full Wrap version, but I imagine the design would tend to minimize what I am experiencing. I wish I had spent the extra money. I will continue to wear my chaps, but I will have to operate with that added sense of caution.

Thanks for reading, and be safe!

-bearsfeat

Howdy all,

I learned something from first hand experience that I wish I had known a month ago... I recently bought some chaps from Labonville (great store - great service! - they have a sponsered forum here)

Well, being a home owner and not a proffessional, I figger'd I'd cheap out and get the regular chaps. If you are in the same boat and considering getting chaps:

First, do it - you will never say "Boy, I wish I never bought those"

Second, Get the full wrap version. They are I think $20 more - but almost a necessity. Here's why.

Any protection is better than none, but in this case, the regular chaps are maybe more dangerous depending on your habits and environment. I have found that my chaps tend to get caught occasionally on smaller branches as I move around in the crown of a tree (on the ground, of course). As I cut the branches and maneuver to get other ones cut, the stubs catch on the chaps and could potentially trip me - I've had a couple of catches that prompted me to type this thread.

I cringe to imagine a branch catching a leg as I am making a run for it to avoid a falling snag or something...

I have not seen the Full Wrap version, but I imagine the design would tend to minimize what I am experiencing. I wish I had spent the extra money. I will continue to wear my chaps, but I will have to operate with that added sense of caution.

Thanks for reading, and be safe!

-bearsfeat

Good advice and I hope you learned without injury. Also glad to see you bought them from a site sponsor. I bought a set recently from them and they're really quite comfortable.

good advice! the chaps i wear are husqy branded, not sure of the manufacture, got them at the local saw shop.

they are full wrap and the part that goes on your lower leg has three straps. i can cinch that up so that the chaps are darn near skin tight. nothing to get caught on anything. speaking from experience labonvilles have two straps and i did not find them to fit as tightly around my calves.

not putting labonvilles down by any means. just voicing my experiences.

ps, while you are ordering at labonvilles, get thier kevlar boots, they are just plain awesome!

Back