Preference in Wood Burning Species?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PA. Woodsman said:
A few years back I visited up your way and talked to the gals at the Bow & Arrow stove shop-is it still in business? Very nice gals .I asked them about the wood situation up there and they said that it wasn't too good; scrub Oak, some other hardwoods, etc. But I remember taking the Cape Cod Railroad train ride and seeing White Birch, Oaks and more hardwoods like you mentioned. Interesting...

Yup, the bow and arrow is still in business and the birchs that you saw are a rarety here. generally seeds are dropped from birds migrating here. other times people plant them. At the time that you asked them about the wood issue it was probably true... the last few years a cord had been selling for
$300+ !!!! and it was pretty scarce... now , after the freak "mini tornadoes" that we had back on dec 7th there is NO shortage of wood , my company alone has cut 30 cords of just hardwoods since that storm, and thats only 2 days a week!! needless to say, alot to split ( almost done )

-mike

1CallLandscape said:
Yup, the bow and arrow is still in business and the birchs that you saw are a rarety here. generally seeds are dropped from birds migrating here. other times people plant them. At the time that you asked them about the wood issue it was probably true... the last few years a cord had been selling for
$300+ !!!! and it was pretty scarce... now , after the freak "mini tornadoes" that we had back on dec 7th there is NO shortage of wood , my company alone has cut 30 cords of just hardwoods since that storm, and thats only 2 days a week!! needless to say, alot to split ( almost done )

-mike

Yes, it was probably 7 years ago or longer that we were up there last. They said that most of the wood was shipped-in from inland Mass. We also visited "the Choppin' Block" in Mashpee; they seemed to be doing a pretty decent amount of firewood at that time. Sounds like you've got pretty good "pickins" now thanks to Mother Nature?!

here in central ohio, we love locust & osage orange (hedge).

the greener the better. love hedge when it's still yellow innermost.

it don't get any better than that.

if you western guys could get just a little of it, life would be good.

ya lay down a hedge fire, you can put ANYTHING on it.

pine, plastic, rubber, sheet steel, the garbage, ANYTHING.

ya, i never have had the oppertinity to burn hedge, but man i got some locust the other day from a job and the trees were standing dead for 20 years the owner said. i dulled 4 chains to take 8 trees down ( 12" ) the wood was so hard that when i hit it with a ball peen hammer it didnt even mak a mark. it burns for a REAL LONG time . i loaded my stove up on a 1/3 draft and it burned for 11 hours. so... yup if you can get locust its the best green or seasoned
-mike

Hands down my favorite firewood is shagbark hickory. When I stoke my woodburner at 10:30 p.m. and wake up at 6:30 a.m. to reload it, there are always big hot coals, and sometime still one piece of wood left in there. I am using an old riteway woodburner that ties into my ductwork and blows nice dry heat through my house all winter. House averages about 70 degrees even when it is bonechilling cold out, and the Good Lord help you if it gets to the mid 30s, hickory will run you out of the house.

It's also good to find a nice sized dead elm. That's what I refer to as "standing firewood".

TimberJack_7 said:
Hands down my favorite firewood is shagbark hickory. When I stoke my woodburner at 10:30 p.m. and wake up at 6:30 a.m. to reload it, there are always big hot coals, and sometime still one piece of wood left in there. I am using an old riteway woodburner that ties into my ductwork and blows nice dry heat through my house all winter. House averages about 70 degrees even when it is bonechilling cold out, and the Good Lord help you if it gets to the mid 30s, hickory will run you out of the house.

It's also good to find a nice sized dead elm. That's what I refer to as "standing firewood".

Shagbark Hickory is awesome! So is Shellbark Hickory. Really kicks out the BTU'S. I wish that ALL of you woodburners could experience all of the different woods that we're blessed with here in Pennsylvania-it's an incredible variety of good hardwoods-except Yellow Birch! (see other post!) :)

hickory isnt around here alot. i have burned it in maine at the camp though. burns awesome. it burns really simalar to choke cherry ( razor cherry )that we have around the cape. I really like ash but it is hard to find where i live.
-mike

TimberJack_7 said:

Don't think i've burnt any shagbark yet. Got me a nice 47" DBH roughly 90' standing firewood elm a few months back. It was hit by lightning about 2 1/2 years ago and lost the top 20 foot or so. It and should make for a lot of good wood this coming winter.

-Steve

1CallLandscape said:
i got some locust the other day from a job and the trees were standing dead for 20 years the owner said. i dulled 4 chains to take 8 trees down ( 12" ) the wood was so hard that when i hit it with a ball peen hammer it didnt even mak a mark. it burns for a REAL LONG time . i loaded my stove up on a 1/3 draft and it burned for 11 hours. so... yup if you can get locust its the best green or seasoned
-mike

How long does that locust take to season? I've been getting some from a tree guy (from this site) and it's wet as a catfish. Stringy to split, but not difficult. I'm wondering if it's going to be good for this winter, or if it will need longer to be usable.

BlueRidgeMark said:
How long does that locust take to season? I've been getting some from a tree guy (from this site) and it's wet as a catfish. Stringy to split, but not difficult. I'm wondering if it's going to be good for this winter, or if it will need longer to be usable.

If you've got it split now and stacked it will be fine for this Winter. Black Locust is some of the best firewood around. It's "brother" Honeylocust has a lot more moisture in it and takes a little longer to dry out; but it's also a very good wood-just burns a little faster than Black Locust.

Best firewood here is... madrone!

Out here in the west, Madrone is the king of firewood. Very dense wood that puts out a lot of heat for a long time. We also have madrone flooring in our house here... hard to get, only 2 mills cut it that I am aware of. Looks pretty though. My favorite available wood to burn here is alder. It is a medium weight aromatic hardwood and we have a lot of it. Mostly in the form of dead snags. It burns well even when it is wet, and it burns clean. It is also light enough to cut and lift easilly. Oak and maple can be heavy and hard work to cut.

Other than those... lets see... I live on 105 acres, 80 acres are in forest plan management. We have a good mix of species. Most of our stands are doug fir, as that is the money tree around here. It is a medium weight wood but it puts up a lot of creosote. I burn it in our outdoor wood boiler mixed in with alder with good results though. Grand fir is the next most common, but it is very light and does not have much heat value. Then we have California black oak, which is a very good and dense firewood, along with Oregon white oak (considered trash oak here). Then we have bigleaf and boxelder maples, and golden chinkapin. Both medium to heavy density, they burn very well. We have lots of red cedar and Oregon ash, but I have not burned any of those yet. We also have 6 types of willows... and black cottonwood. They are all light woods, and burn fast. They are good for starting a fire with and mixing in with oak and maple to get them burning. Burned alone they do not have that much heat value.

We also have pastures that were once part of a very large orchard. I have been cutting apple, pear, plum, hazlenut and walnut out of what is left of them. They all burn great. They make good fireplace wood and are fairly dense, and some of it puts out a pretty colored flame when burning. When I lived in California, one year we had access to free eucalyptus. Talk about impossible wood to cut when dry... and hard to burn. One log would last for days. My brother threw in some anthrosite coal once to keep it going, and we melted the fireplace grate it got so hot. :bang:

I have a pellet stove for the house. But I have a little wood stove in the garage, and burn whatever I can scrounge. It's really easy to overheat a two car garage that has been insulated, sheet-rocked, and has had double-pane sealed windows put in. I've only lit two fires so far, both a single armload of pine and fir. Currently, I have those woods as well as maple, black locust, and ailanthus on hand. My wife is currently P.O.'d at the big pile of 6 foot lengths in the middle of the driveway. "I'll get to it--just park in the street!".

Well me, I prefer to burn Red Alder, Doug Fir and Black Walnut. I am into falling about another 18-20 Red Alders that will yield about 16 cords or so. So we will be good for next year. :cheers: :cheers: :angry2: :cheers: :cheers:

preference in wood

what is madrone and what does it look like? ive never heard of it before! is it light or dark? sorry im just nosey! lol as for wood hard or soft maple, ash for kindling, hate cherry but since my firewood is free because were a logging company i take what i can get so i dont complain! lol

preference in wood

what is madrone and what does it look like? ive never heard of it before! is it light or dark? sorry im just nosey! lol as for wood hard or soft maple, ash for kindling, hate cherry but since my firewood is free because were a logging company i take what i can get so i dont complain! lol

Madrone

There are several types of madrones. One is in Texas, another in Arizona and Mexico. The one we have is Pacific madrone, which only grows here along the west/left coast. It can get to be as tall as 100 ft tall, but most madrones are 20-40 feet tal around here. They can be scrubby and spindly or they can be tall and bushy. The bark is reddish-brown in color and it has a large green shiney leaf.

The wood is a varied color, (looking at the floor here) ranging form a light maple to a dark brown, with cherry/red colors and other earth tones mixed in. The wood color is uniform in some planks, and varied in others with light and dark spaces, and swirls of colors around the knots. We have had people come from 60 miles away just to look at the floors here (thinking about installing them themselves). :popcorn:

daddieslilgirl said:

If I may ask-why do you say that you "hate Cherry"?:confused:

A tri-axle is $550 But he told me last night that is going up now. I forget what he said the new price is. But since I ordered it last week he's selling it to me for the 550 quote. I got quotes from $770 down to $550.

Delivered Cord wood was quoted from $110 to $175 (cut and split).

P/U Cord wood was quoted from $90 to $125 (cut and split).

I plan to post pic of the load when he drops it after this week.
WOW. You're wood is cheap there.
Ours goes for around $1200-$1400 CAD a triaxle load (9-10 cords). Even with 25% exchange rate that's double the cost here.
We also pay about double for gasoline too. We are paying about $4.90 a gallon CAD. which works out to around $3.70 a gallon US.
Our delivered cord wood price is anywhere from $300-$350 a cord for hardwoods.

Latest posts

Back