Presets for Spinning and Breaking Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Oregon 'DuraMax' spinner and breaker are designed for larger pitch chains, such as those used in harvesters, etc. They are quite a bit more expensive.
Otherwise, need to go to the 'manual' methods.

Screen shot 2020-09-07 at 11.42.52 AM.png Screen shot 2020-09-07 at 11.42.25 AM.png

Heavy-Duty Rivet Spinner Part# 24549-SI, Heavy-Duty Chain Breaker Part# 24548-SI

Philbert

I guess this is the best place to ask. @Philbert if not, please move.
How do you measure chain? Do you count, compare to another chain, or tape measure it?

I guess this is the best place to ask. @Philbert if not, please move.
How do you measure chain? Do you count, compare to another chain, or tape measure it?
Comparing to a known chain works. You can use a micrometer or caliper if you have one. But the easiest way is to get one of the simple, plastic, chain measuring gauges from Oregon, Granberg, or STIHL that help with pitch, gauge, etc.

I keep one hanging on a nail where I work on chains.

54DF79D1-54D7-4247-84CF-52FE310F6BCB.jpeg
E80558A3-9F06-466C-90F9-ED30A4CE2909.jpeg
FB765BC7-C5B9-48D3-884B-91C5961C00C5.jpeg

Philbert

I get asked these questions a lot, so I thought I would start a thread that I could reference, and a place where others could post related comments.

Saw chains are made up of cutters, drive links, and tie straps, and are held together by rivets. Since handling the tiny rivets could be awkward, pairs of rivets are pre-assembled to one tie strap ('preset' or 'pre-set') for use in joining chain to make loops, repairs, etc.

View attachment 852330
View attachment 852331
Preset and tie strap

View attachment 852332

Since each rivet also functions as a bearing, the center ('flange bearing' in illustration above) is harder, and a larger diameter than the 'hubs', which are spun down (or mushroomed with a hammer) to hold the chain together.

A spinner / breaker set is the preferred way to remove and install chain parts, although, there are some 'field expedient' methods for doing this with more basic tools.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/baileys-chain-breaker-and-spinner.144859/
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/spinning-chain-fess-up.170216/
Philbert
are pre-sets always on the left thus you press rivet from the right side?

are pre-sets always on the left thus you press rivet from the right side?
I don’t think that you can assume that.

Many tie straps (and, thus, presets) are symmetrical, and can be used on either side.

Others are directional, and have lower heels (to reduce vibration), or are marked with an arrow, to point towards the direction of cut.

In a pinch, installing a single tie strap / preset on the wrong side will probably not be noticeable in performance.

Installing a preset upside down, or its mating tie strap inside out, would be more of an issue.

Philbert

I don’t think that you can assume that.

Many tie straps (and, thus, presets) are symmetrical, and can be used on either side.

Others are directional, and have lower heels (to reduce vibration), or are marked with an arrow, to point towards the direction of cut.

In a pinch, installing a single tie strap / preset on the wrong side will probably not be noticeable in performance.

Installing a preset upside down, or its mating tie strap inside out, would be more of an issue.

Philbert
I guess my question is how can you tell you are punching the right side? I made a couple punches on the wrong side and messed up!

I guess my question is how can you tell you are punching the right side? I made a couple punches on the wrong side and messed up!
Reuse that cutter or link with a new preset.
Right side faces away from you in an upright position.
Fluke lay on one side flounder lay on the other. One side comes with preset cutters. One side doesn't.

Clear as mud

Not sure what you are asking.

If you are pressing / punching out rivets with tie straps on both sides, it does not matter.

If you are punching out rivets where one side is a cutter, and the other side is a tie strap, the cutter should be on the top.

This image from Oregon shows punching out with a slotted anvil.

IMG_6785.jpeg

When installing new presets, tie straps, cutters, direction needs to be considered.

How did you ‘mess up’? Worst case, you punch out, and spin in, a few more links.

Philbert

Which pitch gauge works best for all-around use?
Post #24?

The Oregon is simple, and widely available. It covers most current chains

I have not seen the Granberg, for a while (except on eBay). It covers some obsolete pitches, if you run across those.
*EDIT: Pitch-N-Gauge still on the Granberg web site for $3.25. $10+, on eBay

Never used the STIHL; it looks clunky. But it DOES say ‘STIHL’!

Philbert

Post #24?

The Oregon is simple, and widely available. It covers most current chains

I have not seen the Granberg, for a while (except on eBay). It covers some obsolete pitches, if you run across those.

Never used the STIHL; it looks clunky. But it DOES say ‘STIHL’!

Philbert
Yup, Post #24. Thank you for the advice. Oregon pitch gauge on order, but to compensate for not ordering more STIHL bling I'm having a STIHL neon sign made for the workshop. Or maybe living room--I'm single. 😄

Brad, what are you trying to measure with this chart? The length of the chain loop, the distance between links? Please advise.
That is kind of ambiguous (unless you're in my head, and you don't want to go there...)

Links count. I figured there had to be an easy way to pull chain off a spool and get the correct number of links without having to count it, because my ADDd..d..how many d's? I'd lose focus and...uh, spin my....huh.

While you're spending my money, any suggestions on a chain link measuring chart? I found an Archer self-adhesive, $13 eBay.
Have to assume that they are all the same.

IMG_6996.jpegOne came with my Bailey’s spinner / breaker set, but I have never used it.
IMG_6998.jpeg
Planned to adhere it to a piece of hardboard (Masonite), and cover it with some cheap, clear, thin, replaceable, plastic glazing, from the hardware store, in a sandwich, to protect it from the sharp cutters.

IMG_6997.jpeg
Brad, what are you trying to measure with this chart? The length of the chain loop, the distance between links?
They are commonly used as layout tools, when breaking chain off a reel. Common in many shops.

I count links (repeatedly, due to OCD).

Philbert

Instead of a measuring chart, here is what I did. I put a pin at the end of my bench that goes through the hole in the chain link. I stretched a chain along the edge of the bench. I marked off ever 10th link on the bench. I also marked popular lengths that I use. Hook the end on the pin and stretch the chain out on the marks. It is much faster than using the chart. My bench has an aluminum angle on the edge. That makes it easier to mark off the lengths. The pin is on the right end of the bench. My rivet breaker and spinner is towards the left end of the bench. It takes me less than 5 minutes to make up a chain with this setup.

Back