Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see the pile of logs is going down. Nice looking wood... easy to split. But you're making me tired just watching you. At least, you're not hauling it out of there by wheelbarrow. :laugh:
Yep, I was cutting on the first layer of logs today which have been laying in the dirt. Even though I roll them out and try to get it off, I still had to sharpen a few times, and just after I had the chain cutting pretty good too. I think it's one of the "safety chains" that @chipper1 gave me a while ago. I do have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the Pferd files I got the 2 for 1 deal on.

I've been unloading out next to the wood stacks and probably have 6 or 7 loads out of 10.5 split, moved with the wheelbarrow of course, and stacked. Was working on it just now, but took a break for dinner. Time to go get more put up before the rains come!

Well that's MUCH better, but man that bark looks like Sassafras. Then again, why would anyone get excited about Sassafras. Makes great kindling though. Pop-pop!
I knew from a mile away it was Black Locust.

But what is the story on the dead deer???

Went to the range again today, and one of my friends was there with one of those new (slick) Garman Chronographs!

So, he Chronographed both my Model 70 in 270 WSM, and my Ruger American Rifle in 223.

I estimated the 270 WSM to shoot the 129 grain Barnes LRX bullet at 3,300 FPS, but it turns out it was a little shy ... 3,255 FPS. But what it lacked in speed it made up for in consistency. The 3 shot group had an extreme spread of 23.3 and a standard deviation of 10.0! The guy with the chrony has all custom rifles in custom calibers, weights all his brass, turns his case necks and makes sure all his flash holes are uniform. When he saw the SD on this load, I thought he was going to crap!

Conversely, I estimated the 223 would be about 3,200 FPS, but it was actually 3,344! The extreme spread was 63.7 and the standard deviation 26.3, but it shoots well so it is OK. These results were surprising to me as the short mag has a 24" barrel and the 223 only a 22" barrel!

270 WSM load - 129 Barnes LRX over 65.5 grains of SatBALL6.5, Rem Mag Primer, Winchester Brass.

223 load - 52 grain Speer HPBT Match over 26.5 grains H335, CCI Primer. Used Remington Brass (scrounged from the club).

Very impressed that after I adjusted the elevation and windage on the Vortex Crossfire II 3 X 9 X 40 scope (on the short mag) that the new group was right on the money!

I knew from a mile away it was Black Locust.

But what is the story on the dead deer???
Side of route 9D near the VA hospital . I had stopped and looked at the wood early last week . Deer must have gotten hit late week . It wasn’t buffed up yet so it’s fairly fresh . I’m guessing it got hit and was flung into the wooded area by DOT. There was a fawn carcass there too not much left of it

The added fuel regulator did the trick on the stump grinder. I do need to pull the spark plugs and check them. I have a high speed skip. It might be that I have the gas regulator set too low.

Attachments

• 20240429_170149.mp4
    8.5 MB
  • 20240429_170242.mp4
    8.5 MB
  • 20240429_170254.mp4
    5.2 MB
  • 20240429_170509.mp4
    20.5 MB
I believe you missed what I was saying. I'll elaborate. Rip chain is a modified top plate angle vs regular chain. Nothing special that can't be done with a regular chain. The 4 chains i have for my 36" Alaskan mill set up, 2 are full comp and 2 are full skip. Both have 10* ish top plate angles. The full skip works much better for chip clearing. I wouldn't buy Granburg chain if it was the last "milling" chain out there. It's over priced and doesn't work better enough to justify it's performance over a full skip with an low degree top plate.
Took me a while to get back to this... I've been swamped! I concur with SS396driver's take on this. Between the time spent altering the angle, even incrementally with each successive sharpening, and the initial sub-optimal cuts, I'd rather spend a few bucks more for a real rip chain. Though I'm not sure they actually cost more than say a Stihl RS chain... I can get a 114 DL Granberg for $48 from a local shop that makes loops from bulk rolls. Granberg gets $52 for the same loop. The Oregon rip chain was $50... Bailey's gets $63 for a Stihl 114 DL Rapid Super full skip. Whatever works!

Howdy folks. Local tree service dropped off 2 loads of wood chips that had a red oak log in it bucked into 3' sections. Separated those out and cut them into 18" rounds for splitting.

Got some time in with my axes. @Cowboy254 all these came from Australia. I have 5 more on their way. 🙃
View attachment 1173561

Goodness, how many arms do you have?

(@chipper1 told you not to get the vax)

:laugh:

G'day fellers,

Once I got out on bail, I went scrounging. There were these two broad leaf peppermint stems down at Will's. Broad leaf is generally better than narrow leaf, it is a little denser and also tends to be a bit straighter. Both are stihl definitely scroungeworthy.

20240430_145536.jpg

I went after the nearest first. We've got a bleeder!

20240430_152845.jpg

Most of it was done with the MMWS 241 but the last 8 rounds were done with the 460.

20240430_153929.jpg

20240430_153955.jpg

Ended up with this in the trailer

20240430_161412.jpg

and this in the ute

20240430_161422.jpg

Apart from the sap vein, it was all solid. I was done and out of there in an hour. I have a date tomorrow with the other stem. The branch that wasn't sticking up in the air in the first pic was dead and dry, I have some of that in the fire right now :sweet:

Scrounge on :rock:

Don't be afraid to up the chain tension and use the brake to keep the chain tight and still. I don't usually make the chain any tighter unless it's on a longer bar, but it certainly helps to keep the chain from rocking back and forth. Chain brake will hold the chain in place. A stump vice is also quite nice if you don't have one.
Felling wedge works to , just place it in the bottom of bar, in between chain and bar , to take up slack and get good tension when filing,

Latest posts

Back