Pretty disappointed with this Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vw_motorsports

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I picked up an early ms280 for short money, start no-run issue. I had to disassemble the saw to get to the root of the problem. My understanding is the MS280 is a semi-pro saw. I was sadly disappointed. The saw is essentially a glorified ms250 or MS290.

The saw is a pain to work on. It is a clam shell engine, open port transfers...the design of the muffler prohibits any porting. The intake can be ported but if you can't get the exhaust out of the saw why bother. Cheesy oil pump, ms250 design, non adjustable. The a/v is super smooth until you put the saw in wood and quickly realize that the soft mounts are on the metal pin stops and all the vibrations are back and worse than a rubber a/v'd saw.

Don't get me wrong, once assembled it is a nice running saw, but this saw is the epitome of marketing...all fluff.

Stihl charged approx $500 for this saw. What a rip-off. In "semi-pro saws " I have had an echo cs520, husky 353, poulan 330. All have adjustable oilers, full mag cases, closed 4-port transfers (except 330). Can be ported, better A/V in wood. Stihl must have made a ton of $$ on this saw. In this class of saw there are definitely better choices. All the above mentioned saws are a better choice.

Not to mention it has far to little orange paint on it.:potstir: I agree with you on the Echo cs520- Mastermind ported it and did a build thread. The saw is a 346 killer (per Randy). Still had to have a 346 so I got one in the red color- 2153 that is in the shop for 'hotter' porting and carb play.:msp_w00t:

there are better saws out there, thats for sure...

Still better than a 290/310/390....

So you picked up something other than a "professional" saw but still expected a professional saw with all the bells and whistles we have come to love? I would be upset too. If it's not in the Professional list then it was made to be used once in a great wile by people that wouldn't know how to adjust an oiler to begin with.

So you picked up something other than a "professional" saw but still expected a professional saw with all the bells and whistles we have come to love? I would be upset too. If it's not in the Professional list then it was made to be used once in a great wile by people that wouldn't know how to adjust an oiler to begin with.

No, I compared the stihl to other so-called non pro saws. The 353, 330, are not consider "pro" saws. Echo may think the 520 is pro, but I would not rate it as pro, btw, the cs600p definitely is.

So tell me just what exactly is wrong w/ the above mentioned saws? I've had a 290, 039 and a 391 and would buy another saw of this family any day if I had the chance/need. They might be a little heavy for the power, And no they won't compete with a 044/440 or a 046/460, But if I wanted/needed that kind of power I'd buy a saw w/ that kind of power.

They've done everything I've asked of them and what more is required of a mechanical product?

Sod breaker

i have ported a few ms 280's
swap piston to raise comp
weak mounts can be fixed
muffler not a problem
not a race winner but get real good gains

Been using my 310 for 11+ years now for firewood...maybe 6-7 Fed cord a year. Been nothing but a strong, good saw. Lots of them around and working well. Pro saw? I'm a homeowner...don't know wth that means!....lol...Saw has never needed any work other than an occasional clutch sprocket/ bars and numerous chains it's been a great saw for me. I finally MM'd it today and expect it'll just get better now...

So tell me just what exactly is wrong w/ the above mentioned saws? I've had a 290, 039 and a 391 and would buy another saw of this family any day if I had the chance/need. They might be a little heavy for the power, And no they won't compete with a 044/440 or a 046/460, But if I wanted/needed that kind of power I'd buy a saw w/ that kind of power.

They've done everything I've asked of them and what more is required of a mechanical product?

Sod breaker

Honestly in this area, it's the perceived superiority of a product because of a decal/emblem.

If poulan stated they wanted to get back into the landowner market and made this saw, Stihlheads would have butchered this ms280 for the above stated reasons. Can you imagine poulan making this saw and having the balls to charge $500!! The 330 is a better saw in virtually every way except for the name, only issue is the oiler is crank driven instead of clutch driven, and it sold for what $300 retail?? It can be upgraded to 61cc, decked, ported etc.

The 353, non pro, can be upgraded to 346xp, better a/v, lighter, can be ported, bottom line a better saw.

The cs520, non pro, better a/v in wood, pro 4-port transfers, lighter, a better package.

I agree the the 290, 039 are reliable saws, and yes heavy for there power. That's what separates a pro saw from homeowner saws...power to weight, construction, and features.

The ms280 is an over priced ms250, a ms290 is a much better value.

i have ported a few ms 280's
swap piston to raise comp
weak mounts can be fixed
muffler not a problem
not a race winner but get real good gains

Are you swapping the 028 super domed piston??

Are you reading what you're writing?

swap piston, fixed a/v, muffler.

If I do that to a poulan 330 it will have that ms280 for lunch and alot easier to work on.

Hey Sod Man, Do you run any of those stihl saws? I see you have a 365 in your stable, with a real saw like that sweet Husqvarna I doubt those stihls see much use. I own a 362xp with a Big Bore kit on it. I rarely grab any of my other saws. I love my Husky, you can admit it to all of us, your Husky is the boss.

Been using my 310 for 11+ years now for firewood...maybe 6-7 Fed cord a year. Been nothing but a strong, good saw. Lots of them around and working well. Pro saw? I'm a homeowner...don't know wth that means!....lol...Saw has never needed any work other than an occasional clutch sprocket/ bars and numerous chains it's been a great saw for me. I finally MM'd it today and expect it'll just get better now...

I didnt say there was anything wrong...I stated that the 280 was better than those others...

Work on about 30 a week and then tell me how great those 290/310/390's are...

Not to mention it has far to little orange paint on it.:potstir: I agree with you on the Echo cs520- Mastermind ported it and did a build thread. The saw is a 346 killer (per Randy). Still had to have a 346 so I got one in the red color- 2153 that is in the shop for 'hotter' porting and carb play.:msp_w00t:

Nice!:clap:

What parts swap from a 250 to a 280?

see how that didnt work for you? :msp_rolleyes:

RAMROD48,

I'm sorry. let me be more clear. You stated the 250 and 290 are the same saws except for displacement, so tell everyone on the forum what parts can be be interchanged beetwweeen thhhe twoooo. Can you uunnnderrstannnnd?

Latest posts

Back