Price check on a engine for my splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Genius.

I am looking for a new engine for my splitter, the neighbor has four 10hp Tecumse's with electric start and recoil. He thought they were 10-15 years old, and have not been used for the past six. If it makes a difference they are cast.

When I asked what he wanted for one he asked if $200 was fair. I told him I would get back to him.

It seems steep to me, is it or not?

I bought a brand new in the box Honda 5.5 hp last year for $330 from Northern Tool. $200 seems high for a used.

I am looking for a new engine for my splitter, the neighbor has four 10hp Tecumse's with electric start and recoil. He thought they were 10-15 years old, and have not been used for the past six. If it makes a difference they are cast.

A new 10hp Tec from Northern Tool is $419 + shipping. Recoil start, cast liner.

I would be most concerned as to the condition of the used engines. Might be a great bargain or just more junk.

I'd go maybe $100.
I lucked into a deal on a 13hp Honda that's been attached to a 48" blower. I'm fabbing a mount system for the ATV, but if that doesn't work out it's going on the splitter. I paid $100 for the whole rig.

I'm sure there are others who will disagree, but my experience with Tecumseh engines has been less than good. Personally, I would not give $100 for one, but then that is just me. Others may have had better experiences than I have had.

Try SmallEngine Warehouse out of Indiana got more engines than you can shake a stick at.

I would take a hard look at the clone engines from HF (have a 6.5 (79.00) and a 13 (220.00)) that have both been used for apox 75-100hrs without issue. I would also keep your eye open on CL for Honda and or Briggs OHV engines. Since Tech went under parts have been hard to come by.

Since Tech went under parts have been hard to come by.

Not the first person I heard this from.

Some on line houses and larger dealers still have some inventory, but as I have heard from a couple OPE dealers they do not want to take anything with a Tecumseh in trade.

If you search the web there is some evidence that some holding company may start engine and part manufacture in the future but there are no guarantees in this economy.

Take Care

Scrap metal

I'm sure there are others who will disagree, but my experience with Tecumseh engines has been less than good. Personally, I would not give $100 for one, but then that is just me. Others may have had better experiences than I have had.

Tecumseh's curse. I won't have one except free and then to the scrap yard. Got one this summer, came with a used snapper (already had a good briggs engine for it, just wanted the mower part, that Briggs, 8 horse vertical, $219 brand new), I thought, "well, wonder how long this tecumseh will last" about half an hour, maybe 45 minutes. Started fine, got to mowing and... blew a rod right through the crankcase. Nice hole, nice globs of oil all over. Every single one of them things I ever had, on anything, just..well, was crap. Had a new less than three mowings on it pushmower given to me once by an old lady I was doing some work for. Had been stored under her house since her late husband died and he had just bought the thing. Tecumseh on it. I ran it about...don't recall, less than half a dozen times, BANG, it went. Wasn't abusing it, oil was still clean, I mean..wth? Few others like that.

cursed..it's the name, gotta be...

I am not any kind of brand loyal, nuthing like that, but there's a few things to do with mechanical do dads I just can't stand, those alleged engines are one of them.

I don't own a splitter but if I did and wanted to repower, it would be plug in electric (220 if possible) or one of those small diesels they sell now. If it has to be a little gasser..look for an old cast iron briggs for cheap and do a rebuild on it.

I like briggs, they work, and when they don't, plenty of cheap parts out there, etc. next down the line kohler, they work, but when they bust, egad does ferrari own kohler now? Are they outta their mindz? No I am not paying chevy v8 crate engine prices for one of their little engines, no thanks...

Honda never owned one, can't comment

kawasaki on the DR walk behind trimmer, tough as nails, starts one pull every time.

Electric motors, seen em work non stop 30 years in factories, and usually can be rebuilt

diesels..just work There's a reason why the vast majority of equipment and big trucks and stuff that have to positively keep working the longest are ..diesel.

Talk him down to 100 bucks or walk.

Parts are an issue, and the one thing about Tecumseh that has always been a constant, is the need for component replacement somewhere along the line, before the things are worn out. Dadgum things just never "Ran forever" like B&S used to, and the Honda GX does now.

Got an older(Mid 90's) B&S 12hp sitting on a Crapsman rider for free if ya want it.
Will need some tinkering on the ignition side but it's solid.
Just haul the whole thing off so I can get it outta the barn.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

When it comes to Tecumseh engines it’s all about the model code prefix letters. I’m assuming you’re talking about horizontal crankshaft engines? The model code will be usually found stamped into the metal cooling shroud covering the cylinder head, or on a tag, or stamped into other metal covers. The possible model codes for 10 HP horizontal crankshaft Tecumseh engines are;
  • HH 100 (Horizontal Heavy Duty)
  • HM 100 (Horizontal Medium Frame)
  • HMSK 100 (Horizontal Medium Frame Snow King)
  • OHM 100 (Overhead Valve Horizontal Medium Frame)
  • OHSK 100 (Overhead Valve Horizontal Snow King)
Only the “HH” model engines are worth looking at… I wouldn’t give $20.oo for the others used. The “HH” engines are solid cast, the cylinders are not sleeved, and the crankshaft rides on tapered roller bearings. Crankshafts, connecting rods and camshafts are near twice that of the other models. Tecumseh “HH” engines are the only models with these features; they are tough, super tough and will run seemingly forever.

I have two “HH” engines. One is a 10 HP on my old garden tractor that was retired from cutting grass years ago; it now hauls firewood out of the wood lot. That old HH 100 is over 40-years-old, still runs like a top and starts when the temperatures are well below zero degrees. All I’ve ever done to it was change the oil seasonally and install a new spark plug every five years or so. It has just started using a little oil over the last couple years, but not enough that I need to add between changes yet.
169367d1295743986-wh1-jpg

My other “HH” is a 7 HP on my 25-year-old splitter. The only problem I’ve had with it was the head gasket started leaking a bit of oil this spring… when I replaced it you could still the cross-hatch marks in the cylinder wall.

The “HH” models were expensive engines… not something you could buy for $300.oo or $400.oo in today’s money, probably more like one-and-a-half times that. Still, $200.oo sounds a little high for a 10-year-old used engine; I try talking him down some. But if it ain’t an “HH” model, tell him to forget the whole deal… the other models ain’t worth squat in my opinion.

Thanks for the info guy's.

I figured 2 bill's was steep, but I thought I would ask.

My engine on the splitter now is not bad (only 53 hours on it) the problem is it is a taper shaft, and I am having dificulty getting the pump and everything lined up. Looks like I will need to do some more figurin out how to make the current engine work.....

I'm thinking the pump will need to be belt driven.

Back