Pro Mac 610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't beat free, I think I have about $ 35 into my Montgomery Ward 610 and I'm still looking for a set of felling spikes and hardware.

A while back I made felling dogs for my old 610 out of some 3/16" steel. If you have the owners manual, there is a side view of the saw with dogs on it. I photocopied the picture and enlarged it until the mounting holes for the dogs were the right distance apart. Basically just trial and error until I had the right scale. Then just cut out the shape of the dogs on paper and traced the shape to the 3/16" steel. Then I cut it the steel out and shaped it with an angle grinder. Drilled the two mounting holes and bolted it right on. They have worked for the last 9 or so years and the cost was $0. I don't use that saw much anymore, but it is a good backup. I don't have a way to scan in the template I used to make the dog, but you could always freehand sketch one if needed. If you have no luck finding or coming up with anything, pm me and I could mail you a copy of the template I have.

600 Series spikes

You can buy a set (two complete with mounting hardware) so you have dual spikes, on the the clutch cover and one on the oil tank. e-bay for about $18 b/4 shipping.

Otherwise keep hounding local shops, those saw were quite common and there a lots of parts out there still.

The same spikes fit the 10 Series PM saws, but other 10 Series saws had a couple of different styles.

Mark

A while back I made felling dogs for my old 610 out of some 3/16" steel. If you have the owners manual, there is a side view of the saw with dogs on it. I photocopied the picture and enlarged it until the mounting holes for the dogs were the right distance apart. Basically just trial and error until I had the right scale. Then just cut out the shape of the dogs on paper and traced the shape to the 3/16" steel. Then I cut it the steel out and shaped it with an angle grinder. Drilled the two mounting holes and bolted it right on. They have worked for the last 9 or so years and the cost was $0. I don't use that saw much anymore, but it is a good backup. I don't have a way to scan in the template I used to make the dog, but you could always freehand sketch one if needed. If you have no luck finding or coming up with anything, pm me and I could mail you a copy of the template I have.

If I can't find any locally in the next couple o' weeks I will pm you. thank you.

You can buy a set (two complete with mounting hardware) so you have dual spikes, on the the clutch cover and one on the oil tank. e-bay for about $18 b/4 shipping.

Otherwise keep hounding local shops, those saw were quite common and there a lots of parts out there still.

The same spikes fit the 10 Series PM saws, but other 10 Series saws had a couple of different styles.

Mark

I will have to check my 10-10A because it needs a spike as well.

Here's some pics

Attachments

• 20180913_181544.jpg
    20180913_181544.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20180913_181723.jpg
    20180913_181723.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20180913_181536.jpg
    20180913_181536.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 20180913_181548.jpg
    20180913_181548.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20180913_181541.jpg
    20180913_181541.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Seemed pretty cool but heavy . I sold it already haha. Is that 7910 in your sig a makita?
A chain saw you bought for $30 at a Goodwill charity shop and then sold immediately for $60 cannot be a bad saw. Oh, and you might consider buying another saw from Goodwill. Shucks, they might even have an old Stihl MS 660 for $300.

A chain saw you bought for $30 at a Goodwill charity shop and then sold immediately for $60 cannot be a bad saw. Oh, and you might consider buying another saw from Goodwill. Shucks, they might even have an old Stihl MS 660 for $300.
Fyi goodwill isn't a true non profit . Of course they won't admit it. There's documented scandals. But we don't get into that. If they think they have something worth money they sell it online and don't put it in their stores they used to sell on eBay but now they have goodwill.com or something buy goodwill.com
Any kind of Chainsaw wearing the stihl name would never make it out there. The only reason this one probably made it out there was cuz it had a tiny little 16 inch bar on it.

Latest posts

Back