PRO McCulloch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantis

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok guy's not sure if this has been covered here or not.But does anyone have any info. or experiance with the pro Mac's.I really cant find much on them. I emailed them for more info. but I wanted to hear from the PROS LOL

http://www.mcculloch.biz/node911.aspx?cid=429

seems like only one dealer in the US.
I do know that they are afiliated with Husqvarna so that is a plus for me

Last edited:
Hate to break it to ya but Real pro macs have not been made in a long time.
Late 70s? A few good macs were made and some were relabeled Dolmars wonder if anyone here knows that? But today's Macs are junk Even compared to my my 1989 vintage eager beaver!All 32cc of it I might ad lol.

McCulloch went out of business years ago, prior to the internet getting big. Somebody bought up much of the warehoused parts, and was selling them. Later, someone else bought up the rights to the name, and some products have been hitting the market, but they are not the same as the old Pro-macs.

One of my favorite saws was my first: Pro-mac 10-10s. Great saw.

Someone will probably step in with much better information than I have to offer. I posted a note here to get subscribed, as I hope someone posts a note about the current condition of McCulloch.

McCulloch went out of business years ago, prior to the internet getting big. Somebody bought up much of the warehoused parts, and was selling them. Later, someone else bought up the rights to the name, and some products have been hitting the market, but they are not the same as the old Pro-macs.

One of my favorite saws was my first: Pro-mac 10-10s. Great saw.

Someone will probably step in with much better information than I have to offer. I posted a note here to get subscribed, as I hope someone posts a note about the current condition of McCulloch.

From Bob's site

"Near bankruptsy, its 1999 acquisition by the Taiwanese company Jenn Feng Industrial Co., Ltd .
The McCulloch name was partially purchased by Husqvarna AB for use in Europe only, where Jenn-Feng equipment is labeled as the Talon brand rather than McCulloch."

Since Eletrolux spun off Husqvarna, who owns McCulloch for the ROW now ?

Last edited:
Husqvarna has just recently purchased the rights to the McCulloch name here in the US.

Husqvarna has just recently purchased the rights to the McCulloch name here in the US.

Interesting.
So is Jenn Fong going to continue to produce products under the Talon name, or are they getting out of power equipment altogether ?

It threw me the other day when in Bunnings (I'm guessing our version of Home Depot) that the Husky McC's where labelled 'made in the USA', when in the past they all came from Europe.
Talon was Jenn Fongs brand here, and they were made in the US.

Husqvarna had already owned the McCulloch name in Europe and/or Asia, I believe. So now that they own the rights to it here in USA, it's all theirs.
I have no idea what Jenn Feng is doing.

I have a feeling that "McCulloch Pro" is just like "Poulan Pro". Sure makes Mr. Weekend Warrior feel like a pro.

Last edited:
Pro Mac 610 Lives!

I wish I knew the answer to the question. It's hard telling what is going to take place. It would be nice for them to build them like they did back in the '70s and not use the cheapy plastics
Like my 1977 Pro Mac 610 that I still love to start and run now and then? I love that old buzzard, and it always starts on the third pull. Torque galore! Weighs a ton, and with a sharp chain, it will chew through big logs like a cookie monster. Take a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvjC9e3s9_M

Bring back a few memories?

This one's even better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHRh8ttY9Zw&feature=related

Last edited:
I just love that sound
Mantis, et al., I could tell you stories about my Mac 610 forever, because most of them are such pleasant memories. Here's a small one for you that's on the house:

This saw was a champion of its time and ran circles around most of the saws made back in the '70s. Right after I bought it, LOML and I started a small firewood business trying help make ends meet. We both worked together at it with her running a little Mac for limbing and me using the big Timberbear for felling and bucking. I was so proud to be the owner of this saw that I could burst.

Biggest tree I ever dropped with the 610 was a red oak growing in Connecticut. Gypsy moths had completely defoliated it for two consecutive years and on the third year, it never leafed out and died. So, I dropped it by myself with the 610, LOML as my witness. It must have been 30" across at the base and fully branched. Just before it hit the ground, I cut the engine so that I could hear the crash and feel the earth shake around me.

That tree was rather easy to split (typical of red oak), and I did it all by hand using an 8-lb splitting maul. The first branch was at least 20" across and I had to be really careful removing it because it was pointing skyward and as big as many trees surrounding it. That was like a second felling job. The wood was sold to five customers who were so happy to receive split red oak that most of them doubled their initial orders.

The Mac 610 has served me well through the years, but I must admit that technology eventually caught up and passed it. Regardless, many of these saws survive today and never fail to raise the eyebrows of Stihl owners who enjoy watching "the old man" in action. That includes me. :cheers:

Mantis, et al., I could tell you stories about my Mac 610 forever, because most of them are such pleasant memories. Here's a small one for you that's on the house:

This saw was a champion of its time and ran circles around most of the saws made back in the '70s. Right after I bought it, LOML and I started a small firewood business trying help make ends meet. We both worked together at it with her running a little Mac for limbing and me using the big Timberbear for felling and bucking. I was so proud to be the owner of this saw that I could burst.

Biggest tree I ever dropped with the 610 was a red oak growing in Connecticut. Gypsy moths had completely defoliated it for two consecutive years and on the third year, it never leafed out and died. So, I dropped it by myself with the 610, LOML as my witness. It must have been 30" across at the base and fully branched. Just before it hit the ground, I cut the engine so that I could hear the crash and feel the earth shake around me.

That tree was rather easy to split (typical of red oak), and I did it all by hand using an 8-lb splitting maul. The first branch was at least 20" across and I had to be really careful removing it because it was pointing skyward and as big as many trees surrounding it. That was like a second felling job. The wood was sold to five customers who were so happy to receive split red oak that most of them doubled their initial orders.

The Mac 610 has served me well through the years, but I must admit that technology eventually caught up and passed it. Regardless, many of these saws survive today and never fail to raise the eyebrows of Stihl owners who enjoy watching "the old man" in action. That includes me. :cheers:

You are preachin to the choir on this one. I have a "remanufactured"610 3.4ci I bought from Biglots some time around 1990 maybe a little earlier.Never had a problem with it.Run a 24" bar and it still pulls thru the big stuff.I kind of retired it. Take it out and run it every now and then.I think I payed like $189 for it.Paid for itself over and over again.I now have my 55 rancher and 385XP so I know what you mean by tecnology

In my opinion, if you are a little mechanically inclined, and you want to buy a McCulloch, go on e Bay, and buy your self one there. At least you will have something that is not made of Plastic.
I have bought a few Older McCulloch Chain Saws, and had relatively good luck Buying from there. All the Saws I bought from e Bay have good Compression, and needed some work to get them to run. If they had any parts missing, I had those parts, from other saws I parted out.
One Mcculloch Chain Saw I bought, all I had to do with it, was replace the Points, and Condenser over to an Ignition Module, and I was good to Go. A little fine tuning with the Carburetor, and It's a good runner.
Other McCulloch Saws I've bought needed ether a Carburetor Repair Kit, or both a Carburetor Repair Kit and an Ignition Module, and there good to go.
Bruce.

Back