Problem with a Seckel pear tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Any idea what it is and how I can correct it? Pictures tell the whole story. Pears develope black spots and shrivel up. If anyone can help let me know.

Dan
a82fb087f8846a635d65ede540b2028c.jpg
6d968ee2cc324d34cf36e71a2c9a6120.jpg

I had thought possibly fire blight but that does not match the "classic" symptoms of the disease.

Nothing you can do this year other than rake up the leaf litter in the fall. Preventive fungicide applications next Spring beginning at bud break will be the ticket.

Is now the time to spray my pear tree? No buds opening as of yet.

Blast it with Captan when you see 1/4" of green coming out of the buds, and within 48 hours every time it rains hard until the fruit is 1 1/2" long. Cleaning up the scab intested leaf litter under the tree helps to remove it from the area.

You can use lyme sulfur, it is basically a sanitizer,. It will kill anything that is on the tree from last year, use when tree is Dormant. Then spray with Captan or rally fungicides through out the season. Captan is cheap, lyme sulfur is cheap as well. Captan is contact fungicide, it kills fungus on contact but doesn't have much residual effects. Rally is systemic and is absorbed into the tree and lasts a few weeks. I mix them together and put a insecticide in with them as well.

Also thin fruit to 1 fruitlet per cluster, if you want better size. That can help with the fungus issue also, fruit dries quicker, get more air and sun.

Apparently lyme sulfur has been banned. So copper would be the alternative. Or just keep up with the fungicide sprays. Starting when the buds have opened and you see some green.

Apparently lyme sulfur has been banned. So copper would be the alternative. Or just keep up with the fungicide sprays. Starting when the buds have opened and you see some green.
Be very careful with copper, if you don't know what you're doing you can burn all the leaves off the tree, russet the fruit, and even kill the tree.

Back