Problem with my 2013 carlton 7015 66hp Kubota

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukeparker22

Reaction score
My grinder runs strong for about 10 minutes while grinding then it bogs and dies out. it starts back up and runs rough while grinding and dies again and again. First thought was water in the fuel as i used a new station, but used sea foam and heet and replaced fuel still the problem continued. tried bleeding injector lines as i had thought maybe and airlock (because i had stupidly ran it out of fuel prior to first problem)and fuel seems to only be steadily coming out of 2/4 lines i cracked all 4 at the same time; is this the correct way? Thanks in advance for any help!

thank you i will try both in the morning is there a certain one i need to do first? is there a primer?

With that much run time its not going to be air in one line. You could crack one at a time and make sure the sound of the engine is equal with all. If not you could have an injector problem, but not likly that would shut you down. More likely to be a safety switch/sending unit or the ESO. Also look for air leak at fuel filter(s).

This is a long shot, but I have seen this happen on various machines from time to time.
Check and make sure the fuel cap is allowing the fuel tank to vent. If the vent is not working, engine will be trying to pull the fuel against the vacuum in the tank.
Easy to check. Just leave cap loose, and crank up engine. See how long it runs.

My grinder runs strong for about 10 minutes while grinding then it bogs and dies out. it starts back up and runs rough while grinding and dies again and again. First thought was water in the fuel as i used a new station, but used sea foam and heet and replaced fuel still the problem continued. tried bleeding injector lines as i had thought maybe and airlock (because i had stupidly ran it out of fuel prior to first problem)and fuel seems to only be steadily coming out of 2/4 lines i cracked all 4 at the same time; is this the correct way? Thanks in advance for any help!
I have run out of fuel dozens of times and never had to bleed to get it started again. When the starter turns the engine over the pick-up pump refills the filter and lines. Don't know about the other problem,

Luke, I think your problem is a very simple fix. I have the same Carlton SP7015. I had the same problem. I would be grinding and the machine would stop as though it were running out of fuel. It would always restart but it might quit again in a minute or it might continue to run for the rest of the job. It was very frustrating because, at the time, my machine had less than 100 hours. My machine was built in November of 2012. It turned out it is an electrical problem. I talked to Huey at Carlton and he told me he thought it was a loose connection in the wiring harness. He sent me a very small part that attaches near the alternator. I am not an electrician but he told me exactly what to do. I am surprised that you are having the same problem because my machine is a 2012 and yours is a 2013. You would think they would have fixed that problem. I think it is a known problem at Carlton and they should send you a new part. After he told me what the problem was, I went out to my machine and crimped those connectors together real tight and that solved the problem and I didn't put the new wiring harness on until a rainy day. Call me if you would like more details at 4056097794.

CALL HUEY AT CARLTON HE WILL TELL YOU HOW TO FIX IT HE'S VERY GOOD AT HIS JOB
800-243-9335

Just bought mine about a month ago and its at the dealer right now getting a new wire harness the machine only has 44 hours. I was out grinding and the machine would just stop running it would start right back up run for a few minutes and shut off. Hopefuuly this is the only problem. I love this machine its an animal good luck paul Valley stump grinding LLC

Well that's no good I know Carlton will take care of you. I own a 7015 with the Deutz engine and I am curious if there is a noticeable difference over the Deutz engine when it comes to performance? ( For those of you that owned both engines)

Well that's no good I know Carlton will take care of you. I own a 7015 with the Deutz engine and I am curious if there is a noticeable difference over the Deutz engine when it comes to performance? ( For those of you that owned both engines)
I have run and owned both. The kubota engine is a good upgrade from the deutz but he cutting depth has been reduced due to the different track base fitted to the newer machine,s. The different track base is 3" taller than the old chermack track base thus rasing the hight of the jack shaft and only giving you 12" cutting depth yet they advertise it as 15" deep !!!..... I did not keep it long as it didn't grind deep enough. I now run a Bandit 2900t 114hp cat engine much better cutting capacity 75" slew 26 1/2" deep........Shame as the old machine was a great product.....Keen to find out anything about Vermeer,s SC1152....just a shame it's no on tracks....I ended up biulding my own grinder in the end take a look in case studies on www.baileyforestryengineering.co.uk

Wow I did not know that. Carlton should change the name to a 7012 TRX then. How do you like the hydraulic drive compared to direct drive?

With all hydraulic systems you lost approx 20-30 % of your input hp.....So there isn't much difference in preformance at the cutting wheel between the two machines......I jacked the 7015 up in the work shop dead level on a level floor with the cutting wheel fully extened and just clear of the floor, Then mesured from the under side of the tracks to the floor and it's only 12".....very dissapointed. The hydraulic systems are almost maintainance free witch is good....but you are useing more fuel from the bigger hp engine's......you are also limited to what you can do with a mechanical drive....belts shafts ect....were as a hydraulic drive you are only limited by the lenght of your hose's.....you can put that power anwhere !!
I think vermeer need to develope there sc60tx to 80hp and larger cutting capacity or put there sc1152 on tracks!!!! I have spoke to there engineers and I have been told the sc1152 is being upgraded to teir 4 engine and to do this they need to redesign the chassis from the ground up.....so may put it on a extendable rubber tracked undercarriage.....but I wouldn't hold your breath!!!

Thanks for the great information. When you are grinding and you get in a bog does the wheel on the hydraulic machine stop?

Yes if you push it to hard you will stall the wheel and blow oil throw the releaf valve......unlike a mechanical drive if you push the wheel to hard you drag the engine down and then stall it.....The hydraulic drive will stall the wheel first then drag the engine down as it struggels pushing oil over the releaf..

Back