Problem with Stihl ms250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CajunBoy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First of all I know all of you are probably going to say I should have bought a pro saw, but the simple fact is, is that i can't afford one right now and needed something better than my homelite. So I bought a brand new Stihl ms250 last Wednesday and used it for the first time on Thursday and when i was done bucking one log of pecan i noticed the chain looked pretty dry. So i took it home cleaned it and used it again with Fireaxman on Sunday and it didnt spray oil near enough as his ms260.

So i took it to the stihl dealer that i had bought it from and they said that it oiled fine and that they can't do anything about it. I So i am pretty disapointed in stihl's service department.

First of all I know all of you are probably going to say I should have bought a pro saw, but the simple fact is, is that i can't afford one right now and needed something better than my homelite. So I bought a brand new Stihl ms250 last Wednesday and used it for the first time on Thursday and when i was done bucking one log of pecan i noticed the chain looked pretty dry. So i took it home cleaned it and used it again with Fireaxman on Sunday and it didnt spray oil near enough as his ms260.

So i took it to the stihl dealer that i had bought it from and they said that it oiled fine and that they can't do anything about it. I So i am pretty disapointed in stihl's service department.

You're local dealer may not be what you want to consider "Stihl's service department." Have you tried to check the oiling out of the cut? Run the saw with the bar tip pointed at a clean surface, and see if it sprays oil on it. If so, you're homeowner saw is probably oiling okay. It maybe your cutting style that heats up the bar and chain, burning off the oil.

I'm not trying to say that you don't know what you are doing, I'm just asking for more info.

Yea we did aim the tip of the saw at a clean piece of wood and a tiny little bit of oil flung off if any... I did take the bar and chain off, ran it at about half throttle and oil did leak out of one of the ports yesterday, but before when i was running it there was no oil on the bar, chain, or under the saw leaking on the ground or anything.

I may get blasted for saying this, but if (I believe) this is a non adjustable oiler saw, you may want to try a lower viscocity oil and see if it will pump it better, at least until you break it in, slowly.

This is assuming you have checked the oil tank, line, and exit for blockage and debris.

Yea it is non adjustable for all i know, but yea i'll go ahead and use some lighter weight oil. What weight would you recommend?

Welcome to the site! These don't really put out much oil... enough, but not like some of the pro models. Here's what I do.... run it for a spell... 4 or 5 cuts should be sufficient. Now loosen the chain enough to pull some drivers up out of the bar groove. Run your fingers over the drivers and look at your fingers.... if they are at all glossy or feel oily, the oiler is doing it's thing. Running the saw without the bar should also cause oil to "drool" out of the oil outlet. If it's drooling oil and you still have a dry chain, the problem is with your bar. Make sure it's the right one for the saw and that the oil passages are clear.

The suggestion to use a thinner oil is a good one on this saw.

Yea it is non adjustable for all i know, but yea i'll go ahead and use some lighter weight oil. What weight would you recommend?

If you insist on this test, start with something that sounds heavy, like SAE 30 weight. Bar oil is actually very viscous and has tackifying agents to hold it to the bar and chain. I would use the lighter weight only as a test at first to see if it pumps better in your saw. If so, move on to some small, light cuts, and works your way up for there, checking the bar and chain frequently.

More Details

CajunBoy was over at my place helping me with some splitting when we checked out his new saw. When I point my 260 at a clean block of wood I get a nice clear black line of oil in about 5 seconds. His 250 only left a few flecks of oil in twice the time. More than that, his chain was dry and rust colored after only 1 cut of an 8" oak log (at my place) and a few sticks of pecan before he got here. And, one link of his chain siezed up. I advised him to take it back to the dealer and either get it fixed or upgrade.

He was running the purple stuff for chain lube. I do use something a little thinner in the 260, but it shouldn't have made that big a difference. And, the siezed up link tells a big story.

If the saw doesn't work right with STIHL's own product, I dont think I want him to try anything lighter. Dealer is sure to ask him what bar oil he used, and I dont want this dealer to have any excuses (like, "He ran the saw with too light a bar oil") in case Cajun needs a new bar.

Andre's suggestion for checking the drivers is excellent. Thanks.

Last edited:
Alright thanks guys I'll try all these things out this weekend.

My main frustration was just that it was a brand new saw and it wasn't performing and stihl said they couldn't do anything and wouldn't give me my money back even though it was within the 7 day "money back guarantee." But stihl says its up to the dealer to honor that or not.

CajunBoy was over at my place helping me with some splitting when we checked out his new saw. When I point my 260 at a clean block of wood I get a nice clear black line of oil in about 5 seconds. His 250 only left a few flecks of oil in twice the time. More than that, his chain was dry and rust colored after only 1 cut of an 8" oak log (at my place) and a few sticks of pecan before he got here. And, one link of his chain siezed up. I advised him to take it back to the dealer and either get it fixed or upgrade.

He was running the purple stuff for chain lube. I do use something a little thinner in the 260, but it shouldn't have made that big a difference. And, the siezed up link tells a big story.

If the saw doesn't work right with STIHL's own product, I dont think I want him to try anything lighter. Dealer is sure to ask him what bar oil he used, and I dont want this dealer to have any excuses (like, "He ran the saw with too light a bar oil").

From what he says, the dealer isn't helping him out anyway. I was just trying to help a guy find a way to get his new saw to work for him the way it should. Who know, once the saw breaks in more, the oiler may pump better. I have never owned, or even run that model, so I can't speak from experience.

My nephew has a MS 250 it oils fine, I've had a 025 that oiled fine, something ain't right about that saw. I'd be a little upset, it being new and all. Hell I bought a POS Poulan at Walmart, it oiled great.

Yeah. That was "The [embarassing] Rest of the Story". Cajun had to finish out the 8" oak with a little Wallmart variety Homey.

Yeah. That was "The [embarassing] Rest of the Story". Cajun had to finish out the 8" oak with a little Wallmart variety Homey.

Someone would fix my new saw, and that someone would be the dealer I bought it from...that just ain't right.

From what he says, the dealer isn't helping him out anyway. I was just trying to help a guy find a way to get his new saw to work for him the way it should. Who know, once the saw breaks in more, the oiler may pump better. I have never owned, or even run that model, so I can't speak from experience.

I certainly do appreciate your help, and it is a very good suggestion if Cajun cant get some satisfaction from the dealer. But I'm pretty ticked off at this dealer myself. I recomended STIHL to Cajun when all he had was the little Homey. I'm pretty embarassed. Never had anything but excellent service from my 009, 200t, 260, or 460.

It's nothing against Stihl products, Stihl makes some of the best chainsaws out there, i think i might have just gotten a lemon. And i think that Stihl thinks a little to highly of their product that they look at me as a kid who doesn't know how to properly operate a saw and I'm doing something wrong. I'm just glad that I had fireaxman there to see what we're talking about.

Someone would fix my new saw, and that someone would be the dealer I bought it from...that just ain't right.

:agree2: I have a 230 which is basically the same saw and it oils well. Something not right with that saw, mine will put a roostertail of oil on the garage floor in about 3 seconds.

Hmmm... This brings up questions in my head.

I too have a new MS250. I cut all day last Friday and it did great. Toward the end of the day, my dad was bucking some hardwood and started to smoke the blade. The chain was dull, but I also noticed that it didn't seem to be getting much oil. We were done for the day at that point and the saw was pretty dirty. I took it home and removed the bar/chain. Cleaned it all up and fired it up without the bar and chain. The oil was "drooling" out (to use a posters terminology above) so I think all is well.

I haven't used the saw since but will check the amount of spray before I use it again.

If you haven't already, check to make sure the oil passage is not gunked up. I think that was the issue with mine, but time will tell.

I am using 30 weight oil so am not sure about going thinner.

Hmmm... This brings up questions in my head.

I too have a new MS250. I cut all day last Friday and it did great. Toward the end of the day, my dad was bucking some hardwood and started to smoke the blade. The chain was dull, but I also noticed that it didn't seem to be getting much oil. We were done for the day at that point and the saw was pretty dirty. I took it home and removed the bar/chain. Cleaned it all up and fired it up without the bar and chain. The oil was "drooling" out (to use a posters terminology above) so I think all is well.

I haven't used the saw since but will check the amount of spray before I use it again.

If you haven't already, check to make sure the oil passage is not gunked up. I think that was the issue with mine, but time will tell.

I am using 30 weight oil so am not sure about going thinner.

Yea thats not making me feel any better. I can't wait until I can use it again So I can come to a conclusion about this damn thing.

My 250 goes through a tank of bar oil per tank of gas, and that seems to keep the bar oiled well. I have noticed it gunks up fairly quickly, though.

S

Latest posts

Back