Problem with Stihl ms250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 250 goes through a tank of bar oil per tank of gas, and that seems to keep the bar oiled well. I have noticed it gunks up fairly quickly, though.

S

Same with mine... Tank of bar oil per tank of gas. Pretty sure mine just got gunked up.

It should, but.... I think you would be much happier with a 16" on that saw. I also think you might want to check the oil hole in the bar. I have seen a few of those partially clogged with paint on new bars.

I checked Avery's 250 (my neighbor) this morning. It paints a solid black line of bar oil in 20 seconds. That's stihl not as much as I would have wanted, but its a lot better than your saw was doing last week.

His is a much older saw (stihl had the screw fuel and oil caps) but the oiler is brand new. He just replaced it last week. He uses the STIHL bar oil, so that should give us a pretty good bench mark.

Yea i took everything apart and cleaned EVERYTHING like it was when i bought 7 days ago, all the holes and ports.

There are Stihl dealers on every corner. I'd take it to another dealer, and explain your situation. Ask them if they can give you a second opinion on how it is oiling. They may give you a little flack for not buying the saw there, but it is no different than taking a Chevy to a garage where you didn't buy it for warranty work.

There are Stihl dealers on every corner. I'd take it to another dealer, and explain your situation. Ask them if they can give you a second opinion on how it is oiling. They may give you a little flack for not buying the saw there, but it is no different than taking a Chevy to a garage where you didn't buy it for warranty work.

I will be glad to do that. I do enough business at a shop in Ponchatoula that they would be pleased to help.

:agree2: Now that's an idea I like. :clap:

They have a dealer down the road from me back home so probably over my spring break i'll take it over there and see what they can say. When i called stihl they said the dealer should have a tool to measure how much oil is being pumped by the oil pump, but my dealer mentioned nothing about that.

Just wondering why you don't think it is oiling properly. You can't really compare it to another saw unless it is the same exact model. 025 and 026 are way different. Both are good saws for their respective uses, but there is a reason one is way more expensive than the other. I agree with others on here, start with both reservoirs full, run a full tank of gas, see were the oil level is at.

Last edited:
Just wondering why you don't think it is oiling properly. You can't really compare it to another saw unless it is the same exact model. 025 and 026 are way different. Both are good saws for their respective uses, but there is a reason one is way more expensive than the other. I agree with others on here, start with both reservoirs full, run a full tank of gas, see were the oil level is at.

The reason i don't think it is oiling enough is because when i am finish cutting, my bar and chain are bone dry, also a few of the links on my chain have ceased up. I managed to break free all but one.

check the oiler holes on the bar. these are painted bars,sometimes the paint can reduce the size of the hole, also with the chain off, clean out the chain groove on the bar ,i use a utility knive blade.

The reason i don't think it is oiling enough is because when i am finish cutting, my bar and chain are bone dry, also a few of the links on my chain have ceased up. I managed to break free all but one.

CajunBoy, you definitely have an issue that Stihl needs to fix. :chainsaw:

If I were in you're shoes, I'd do as Fireaxman suggested and visit the dealership that he has a good rapport with, and see what they have to say.

They will probably treat you right since Fireaxman does a lot of business with them. At the least, they may give you a number of a district manager or someone else with clout who you can explain your problem to and get it resolved.

Don't pay any attention to any naysayers who think that since it's a Stihl there can't be anything wrong with it. Or insinuate that since you're young, you're automatically naive and don't know what you're talking about. :bang:

As others on here have said, they have the same saws and their saws are oiling fine, so your's has definite issues. No rocket science here!!

:cheers:

Well put, I agree. Something sounds not right. A propper dealer (especially the one you bought from) should ensure you are happy with your product, and help you solve that issue one way or another.

Yea that is why i was so aggravated with the dealer out here. I asked them how is it my fault that it doesn't work and the salesman simply replied "well how is it my fault?"

I bought a MS250 new and it always seemed a bit stingy with oil too. I asked a Stihl tech and was told it was ok as long as it used about a half tank of oil to a tank of fuel. Even then, about 2 out of every 3 times after cutting with it for a day, I would take the bar off and clean both bar & saw near spotless (brush, putty knife & compressed air) to make sure what little oil was coming out got to where it needed. I also got to where I would "prime" the bar before putting the chain back on--just to be sure. I never had any links freeze up, but all the same, it's my opinion the oiler is the only thing I have against the saw.

Sounds like you might have gotten the runt of the litter. Seems like the dealer or Stihl should exchange it for you. If you've got bar oil in it and the chain links are locking up, that hardly sounds like a saw that's operating correctly, especially a new one.

As far as whose fault it is, barring neglect on your part (running it without oil/the obvious), that's his job to figure out. Does he have a sign hanging up the says "The customer is always right as long as it's not my fault"?

I can't help but assume that the dealer would be treating you differently if he thought you were going to spend more dollars there. I would be tempted to think of all the things I would be in the market for in the near future (back pack blowers, line trimmers, mowers, etc.--anyone who needs a chainsaw will be needing that stuff eventually). Then honestly tell him about your future spending and how it will go to a dealer who you can trust to stand by what they sell & service. Either way, I think you should let Stihl know how you feel bout both them & the dealer, because if that's the kind of service you can expect, why not just go to the big box stores and get the disposable equipment without the attitude.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back